Optimal Number of Benches? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Optimal Number of Benches?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Optimal Number of Benches?

Postby metra » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:22 am

My league has only 4 benches and i'm trying to make the manager change it. IMO, 4 is way too small a number. His argument is that with 4 benches you have to be smarter on who to keep and on who to make risks on.

Thoughts?
metra
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Optimal Number of Benches?

Postby onnestabe » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:51 am

metra wrote:My league has only 4 benches and i'm trying to make the manager change it. IMO, 4 is way too small a number. His argument is that with 4 benches you have to be smarter on who to keep and on who to make risks on.

Thoughts?

It depends on how you use waivers. If all players go on waivers every week, then I think it is OK to have a small bench (4 is still too small, IMO), since you are rewarding people who can use their waiver priority on the right guy.

But if guys only go on waivers when they are dropped, a small bench mostly rewards the owners that can devote the most time to sitting in front of the computer.

That being said, a good general rule is to have 1 bench spot for every starting spot. While you don't really need to back up your TE, K, or DEF, you do need more than one backup for WRs and RBs, so you still have a tough decision to make with your bench.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Sixxgunn » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:01 pm

onnestabe wrote:
metra wrote:My league has only 4 benches and i'm trying to make the manager change it. IMO, 4 is way too small a number. His argument is that with 4 benches you have to be smarter on who to keep and on who to make risks on.

Thoughts?

It depends on how you use waivers. If all players go on waivers every week, then I think it is OK to have a small bench (4 is still too small, IMO), since you are rewarding people who can use their waiver priority on the right guy.

But if guys only go on waivers when they are dropped, a small bench mostly rewards the owners that can devote the most time to sitting in front of the computer.

That being said, a good general rule is to have 1 bench spot for every starting spot. While you don't really need to back up your TE, K, or DEF, you do need more than one backup for WRs and RBs, so you still have a tough decision to make with your bench.

That was going to be my question. Is your 4 spots after you have backups, or is that all you get period? If that's all, then you definitely don't have enough. While I don't advocate taking backups for your DEF, TE and K, you should absolutely have the decision to make on your own.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby bagobonez » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:10 pm

My league uses 10 bench spots and 8 starters. I gave it a try last year even though I was opposed to the idea, and ended up really liking it. BUt yeah, 4 is way too little.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dexter II » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:49 pm

I go with 8 bench and start 8. No particular reason but seems to work pretty well for a 10 team league.
Fatalism Helps with the Jump but not the Fall
Dexter II
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Web SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby steelerfan513 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:47 pm

onnestabe wrote:

Thoughts?

i agree with this; in redraft and keeper leagues, that is a good rule of thumb, although one redraft im in has 9 starters and 7 bench. these are cafe vets, so i trust their judgement. dynasty, obviously, needs a ton of bench spots to stow away sleepers.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby mrblitz » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:30 pm

4 is too small , at the minimum I usually like 6 to 8.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby SniperShot » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:40 pm

4 is way to little.

What happens if a guy gets hurt for 2 weeks and you need another fill in but your 4 guys on your bench are studs? That's sucky.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Return to Football Talk