Branch a no-show??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Branch a no-show???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Branch a no-show???

Postby stomperrob » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:32 pm

Deion Branch announced last night he will not show up at the Patriots' training camp on Fri as he is not satisfied with their contract offer and as a result he wiill face a $14,000/day fine!!! The holdout worked for fellow team mate Richard Seymour last year so I guess he figures it's worth a shot.
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/p ... g_to_camp/
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 177)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jayday » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:41 pm

I don't usually say this when talking about holdouts....But I can't blame him....When you take a look at his production and his rank among other top receivers in the league, he is playing for peanuts compared to his peers....It's millions of peanuts, but peanuts nonetheless ;-)
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Billsbacker » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:08 pm

Branch will do what he feels he must, but he will still be the #1 WR on opening day, and as reliable as a Patriots WR can be.....and he'd have much more justification for a hefty pay raise if someone other than Brady was his QB the last few years....
Billsbacker
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby ampant » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:21 pm

Honestly, I have to agree with Branch. This isn't a case of a guy whining when he is already being paid tops in the league.

There isn't another WR in the NFL with Branch's production who is paid anywhere close to as poorly as he is. He is barely breaking $1Mil, and half of that came from performance bonuses earned last year.

As far as the new offer they made him . . .

. . . but the deal was heavily backloaded, with more than $9 million of it coming in the final two seasons of the contract, at which time clubs often try to renegotiate.
Dude. That's the key right there. I don't blame him. He's waited long enough to get paid while being an outstanding producer. At least give the guy some of his money up front.

Normally I come down on the other side, but in this case I think he has earned higher pay.
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:30 pm

I keep getting this feeling that Chad Jackson is gonna emerge in a big way in his rookie year.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby stomperrob » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:51 pm

Kensat30 wrote:I keep getting this feeling that Chad Jackson is gonna emerge in a big way in his rookie year.

He certainly has the speed (especially for someone weighing 212) and skill to shine - as for having to learn the offence, they brought in a new offence at Florida last year and he adapted no problem. And with his size he can take the punishment over the middle. Now, if Brady would just quit spreading the ball around so much.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 177)

Postby SniperShot » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:01 pm

Good move by Branch. Pats would be idiots not to give him a better deal.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Irish_Assassin » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:23 pm

The Patriots are applauded for their frugal spending by most sport writers. Many teams have adopted the Patriot Way. Richard Seymour held out and got his big payday. Branch should be paid his worth.
Irish_Assassin
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby loophole21 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:52 pm

I expect Branch to get his pay, especially now that he is the definate number one with Givens gone. I never realized he was making so little. Jeez, he has been their most consistent guy, and has been absolutely huge in the playoffs. The patriots will play hardball also, but he should get his dough.
loophole21
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mystykoekaki » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:57 pm

C'mon Pats, help a brotha get paid.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk