Bid Blind Waiver System - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Bid Blind Waiver System

Moderator: Football Moderators

Bid Blind Waiver System

Postby loophole21 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:45 pm

After much discussion in the off season my league has decided to change to a bidding blind waiver system. We have a cap of 1000 "points" and each week we can bid as much as we want, on as many players as we want. I really have had no experience with this type of system. Does anyone have any suggestions on tips, strategy, experiences etc...?

Thanks.
loophole21
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby biju » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:11 pm

One of my leagues did this last year.

The reason why they did this was because the losing teams found little reason to try to improve their team if they had to bid real money (or even pay a fee) to do the add/drop. It was theorized that this would allow people to improve their team and be more competitive later in the year.

The theory, however, was wrong. Most of the "terminally low end" teams seemed to way overbid on one week wonders because it wasn't real money. So after about 4 or 5 weeks of this the "good" teams had all of the bidding power left and casually filled in spaces as needed. And the poor teams that happened to have a player hurt last year couldn't afford to pick up even the backup.

It actually made teams worse.

If I were you I would reconsider this rule change if it was for the reasons stated above. The truth is a regular WW system tends to work the best and have an even rotation.

-M
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Popcynical » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:33 pm

Why not do something like $100 a week so that those types of situations don't happen?
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby biju » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:42 pm

Popcynical wrote:Why not do something like $100 a week so that those types of situations don't happen?

Well, because then you have 10 teams bidding $100 on the "pickup of the week" and you have to fall back on something else, like record or a WW priority system. It kind of defeats the purpose if you're trying to give bad teams a chance to pick up someone hot.

The truth is, I don't care too much since I'm not one of those teams looking for anything to give my team life. The idea was mandated by the "bad" teams and they've screwed themselves in the process. Kind of funny when I think of it that way...

:-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Popcynical » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:10 pm

biju wrote:
Popcynical wrote:Why not do something like $100 a week so that those types of situations don't happen?

Well, because then you have 10 teams bidding $100 on the "pickup of the week" and you have to fall back on something else, like record or a WW priority system. It kind of defeats the purpose if you're trying to give bad teams a chance to pick up someone hot.

The truth is, I don't care too much since I'm not one of those teams looking for anything to give my team life. The idea was mandated by the "bad" teams and they've screwed themselves in the process. Kind of funny when I think of it that way...

:-D

Well, obviously you'd have to do something to where the guy in last gets $125, second to last gets $120, etc.. but I can see your point.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby loophole21 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:32 pm

Well, now I certainly am excited about the new system ;-7 ...
loophole21
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby lmcjaho » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:13 pm

In our league we do real money Blind bids via email to the Commish up to 7pm on Wednesday. The Commish then releases the list and if there are any players with tied top bid they are put on a 24-hr open auction with the tied owners (only) bidding openly against each other on the messageboard... Makes for some great action mid-season when the byes are hitting people...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Crimedogg32 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:51 pm

It puts more skill into FF cant see anything wrong with that...

Wish the free leagues would allow this
Crimedogg32
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Return to Football Talk