which team is making the best offseason player moves? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

which team is making the best offseason player moves?

Moderator: Football Moderators

which team is making the best offseason player moves?

Postby waltb87 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:39 pm

in your opinion, which team do you think is making the best offseason moves, as in terms of picking up and signing free agents, trading, and releasing players that have anchored them down in previous seasons?
waltb87
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby maddog60 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:46 pm

Houston is a team I see having made big strides. ND Kalu, Anthony Weaver, and Mario Williams should provide sufficient pass rush to rattle Manning from time to time, and give them a chance against the Colts. Moulds adds a necessary 3rd weapon to the offense, and Putzier while still mediocre in my book is an upgrade at TE. Flanagan and rookies Winston and Spencer should make a marked difference in that line, and most of all, I love the coaching change choice. When considering this year's class of rookie head coach's, Kubiak looks the most impressive.

Cleveland is the other team. Jurevicious gives them a solid veteran WR, but mainly Schaffer and Bentley make that o-line loaded with talent. McGinest made for a very nice defensive leader to add with all their young talent. This team may still be a year away, but Crennel is looking like he'll end up winning coach of the year in the next 5 years.

Denver didn't make as much improvement, but I feel Javon Walker's presence is being underestimated. This team is a legit Superbowl contender if Walker is healthy. The Giants quietly added Arrington and 3 quality veteran DBs to eliminate any weakspot on their team. But Cleveland and Houston are definitely the offseason's top winners. Of course, when you're that far down, its a bit easier to improve.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Vixtor » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:38 pm

Overall it's probably Houston, I agree. They added a whole lot of players which should help them out even though I believe they should have taken Bush or Young. Maddog60 explained it well enough but forgot about DeMeco Ryans who I think will be a solid player.

I like what Tennessee did even if the whole offseason was a big gamble. They added Vince Young, LenDale White, Chris Hope, David Givens, Kevin Mawae and David Thornton among others. The impact might not be fully seen for a couple of years but I thought they had a very good if not extremely risky offseason.
The facts have no meaning.
Vixtor
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Kilroy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:12 pm

Not to come off as too much of a homer, but as a Browns fan I've been very pleased with this off-season, from the FA signings to the draft to getting all the picks signed before camp. ;-D

The Browns may not contend in '06 (Charlie's gonna have some growing pains, and not having Edwards for half the year won't help) but (knock on wood) '07 could be a good year in C-Town.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby teacupwoozy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:49 pm

I think both the Giants and Eagles probably had the best offseasons.

Eagles added depth all around. The lost Owens when the should have just given him a bigger contract. But I see that more of a last year offseason problem. They didn't address running back, but its a pass first team and moats isn't a bad clone of westbrook. They really should just get rid of uncle buck before his knees just snap off and he is just stumps. Darren Howard was a great addition for the team, and bringing back Barber at LB was a good call. The line depth they added is invaluable and should allow for the defense to return to being nasty and a sack threat. The O-line depth should keep Donovan healthier for the next couple of years.

The Giants in my opinion had the best offseason. Solid draft. Defensive Line depth to keep that unit dangerous. Sinorice Moss should be a good project when Toomer is used up. I think the best parts of their offseason were the non-draft auditions. They could have used some O-line help but the returns from injury should be serviceable.

Its the additions of Sam Madison, Will Demps, and LaVarr Arrington are really what makes this my pick for best offseason. That defense was already strong, now its downright nasty.
teacupwoozy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby mystykoekaki » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:30 pm

I think that the Vikings have made the best offseason moves. Not only players but quality coaches as well:

C. Taylor
T. Richardson
S. Hutchinson
T. Williams
D. Smith
A. Hicks
M. McMahon
J. Goodspeed

Just to name a few. I also like Clevelands offseason moves also. A much improved team then last year IMO.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Kilroy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:41 pm

mystykoekaki wrote:I think that the Vikings have made the best offseason moves. Not only players but quality coaches as well:

C. Taylor
T. Richardson
S. Hutchinson
T. Williams
D. Smith
A. Hicks
M. McMahon
J. Goodspeed

Just to name a few. I also like Clevelands offseason moves also. A much improved team then last year IMO.

Richardson and Hutchinson were big signings. If Chester can't run behind that line and FB, then I dunno what to say about him. I think the Vikes (much like my Browns) will go as far this year as their QB can take 'em.

Good Luck in the "After Tice". Y'all deserve it. ;-D

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Crippler » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:12 am

I think the Redskins did pretty well with the signing and releasing of players, though they didnt do too well in the draft. They needed decent WR2 and WR3 options badly for Moss, and they picked up Randle El and Lloyd which will fit nicely. They also picked up Archuleta for a few years of solid production. Most importantly, they not only released Llavar Arrington, but they convinced him to GIVE them money to do so. He was not fitting in well with the Skins defense at all. He was making too many mistakes in a defense which couldnt afford them. He was taking up a huge chunk of their salary cap and it was a great release for the skins.

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)