Cedric Benson Named Chicago's starting RB - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Cedric Benson Named Chicago's starting RB

Moderator: Football Moderators

Cedric Benson Named Chicago's starting RB

Postby Cover 2 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:25 am

Rotoworld wrote:Head coach Lovie Smith told the Associated Press that Cedric Benson will start at running back when the Bears open training camp Thursday.
"As we go into training camp, our starting rotation will be exactly how it was as we finished OTAs," Smith said. Benson finished OTAs as Chicago's first-stringer, not Thomas Jones, who was "demoted" after skipping voluntary workouts. Smith did indicate that Jones, Benson, and Adrian Peterson would rotate during camp, meaning Jones would have to climb the depth chart to regain his starting job.

I drafted Benson in the back end of a couple drafts, glad to see this
Cover 2
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby J2thez929 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:28 am

Wow, I though it would take to at least week 6 before Benson became the full-time starter. If this holds true though camps and preseason, you can bump Benson up the draft charts ;-D
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Vixtor » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:51 am

How do you just demote a player that rushed for 1300+ yards on an offense without anything resembling a passing attack? Benson has either been extremely impressive or they are upgrading him on draft position alone. Upgrade his fantasy draft position for sure but I wouldn't go too high. Jones has proven he can get it done.
The facts have no meaning.
Vixtor
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Kilroy » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:55 am

This could also be "Coachspeak" to motivate either TJ and/or Benson. While I agree that it might bump Benson a bit, this is one of several backfields that are gonna be cloudy as h**l for at least the next few weeks.

RBBC. :-P

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Popcynical » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:10 am

Wait until after pre-season before you go trading for Benson or traidng away Jones...
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby tomkatt » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:15 am

Popcynical wrote:Wait until after pre-season before you go trading for Benson or traidng away Jones...

Agreed.
"Sometime during the Pats game last week, I decided that Tomlinson was the best overall running back of my lifetime. There's nothing he can't do: deadly receiver, tough inside runner, explosive to the outside, you name it." - ESPN's Bill Simmons
tomkatt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:31 am

I really hope this isn't just a smoke screen. ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby mystykoekaki » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:53 am

Sweet, looks like me drafting him in most leagues might pay off.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:02 am

While I have a lot of faith in Benson, being the starter on the first day of training camp doesn't mean much - he's still got all of training camp and pre-season to prove he deserves the job more than Jones. Don't annoint him just yet.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Crippler » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:09 am

They're probably just trying to light a fire under Jones for the negative attitude. I think they will give him the starting job back by the time the season starts.

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)