Cedric Benson Named Chicago's starting RB - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Cedric Benson Named Chicago's starting RB

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby tpetty6320 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:43 am

does 'starter' mean that he runs the first series and then they let the real 'man' run the rest of the game???????? i'm sure the reason they announced that was (as said during a thread earlier) to light a fire under jones' ass...........
tpetty6320
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:49 am

Well, I can see this being a big thread tomorrow morning...8-o

Interesting news to be sure...it is just training camp though, and a lot can change. Obviously those of you drafting right now will have to adjust accordingly, but I'd still be careful of this one. Jones was pretty danged effective all year last year, so I personally wouldn't change what worked.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby teacupwoozy » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:50 am

tpetty6320 wrote:does 'starter' mean that he runs the first series and then they let the real 'man' run the rest of the game???????? i'm sure the reason they announced that was (as said during a thread earlier) to light a fire under jones' ass...........

All starter means at this juncture is that Ced is first in line to take the majority of reps with the first team offense in training camp... IE not a whole hell of a lot. But you've gotta realize that if he is good they are gonna want to start their 1st round pick. Better to keep him happy and trade Jones away when someone goes down in camp and they can get some serious value for him if its an option.... that said TPetty, I feel summer creepin' in and I'm tired of this town again, so this is teacupwoozy signing off.
teacupwoozy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby tpetty6320 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:53 am

last dance with mary jane, one more time to kill the pain......

let's just say it is a name that has stuck with me since high school in the mid 90s......... great rock band - tom petty and the heartbreakers......
tpetty6320
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby tpetty6320 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:57 am

just an example of 'starters' is Julian Battle is still the starter in Kansas city vs. ty law.......... nothing counts until the season begins. yes, i am bored and drinking at 4am eastern time
tpetty6320
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:07 am

I really don't see this as coachspeak or trying to motivate or light a fire under Jones. It's a simple case of Benson showed up, acted like a team player and did what was required of him so of course he's the starter going into camp. If Jones wants the job, he's gonna have to take it back - they're not gonna just hand it to him with his attitude and being a no-show at workouts, that's hardly buying into the team concept that Lovie is trying to establish. Jones is a pro, he's been around a few years - he shouldn't have to be motivated to do his job - if he thinks he's the better RB, then he should STFU and get in there and prove it and make the job his!!! But maybe he's o longer a team player and will end up being traded to fill a need elsewhere on the team.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby maddog60 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:26 am

TJ has done everything to give away his starting job. One of two things happen this year

1) Benson is a bust.
2) TJ rides the pine.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Billsbacker » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:27 am

Still too early to tell.....this may have opened the door a crack, but nothing more....this is still a holdover from Jones OTA demotion, and if the coaches think the team is still better with Jones, this will be changed sometime during the preseason.
Billsbacker
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby saundman2000 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:10 am

stomperrob wrote:I really don't see this as coachspeak or trying to motivate or light a fire under Jones. It's a simple case of Benson showed up, acted like a team player and did what was required of him so of course he's the starter going into camp. If Jones wants the job, he's gonna have to take it back - they're not gonna just hand it to him with his attitude and being a no-show at workouts, that's hardly buying into the team concept that Lovie is trying to establish. Jones is a pro, he's been around a few years - he shouldn't have to be motivated to do his job - if he thinks he's the better RB, then he should STFU and get in there and prove it and make the job his!!! But maybe he's o longer a team player and will end up being traded to fill a need elsewhere on the team.

Exactly.
RIDERS OF THE STORM
QB Vick
RB Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Lesean McCoy
WR Brandon Marshall, Kenny Britt
TE ?
DEF Flavor of the Week
K ?

=====> Post Feedback if my Reply Helped you
saundman2000
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Sixxgunn » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:18 am

IGNORE THIS THREAD!

Read further down in the article and it says that every back will get a chance to play, and the best player will be on the field, period. Starter today can mean cut tomorrow. Maybe not in this case, but you get my meaning. It also goes on to say the player's union may step in and file a grievance on behalf of both Jones and Briggs for being punished (AKA demoted) for missing what's deemed a voluntary workout. Wait until your draft to see who is starting, not before preseason starts. If you don't have the luxury of waiting, then take a pass.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk