Breaking: Tour de France Winner Landis Tests Positive - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Breaking: Tour de France Winner Landis Tests Positive

Moderator: Football Moderators

Breaking: Tour de France Winner Landis Tests Positive

Postby Twisted Sister » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:29 am

What is with this sport?
-----
Landis tests positive
Tour winner called out for doping during race
Posted: Thursday July 27, 2006 10:16AM; Updated: Thursday July 27, 2006 10:16AM

LONDON (Reuters) -- Tour de France winner Floyd Landis has given a positive drugs test for the male sex hormone testosterone, his Phonak team said on Thursday.

"The Phonak Cycling Team was notified yesterday by the UCI of an unusual level of testosterone/epitestosterone ratio in the test made on Floyd Landis after stage 17 of the Tour de France," Phonak said in a team statement.

Copyright 2006 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:33 am

I had read this AM that he had skipped out on a couple of one-day races this week and figured that was the reason.

What a jackass. If this is true and not an errant test I hope he gets banned for life.

Here's an articleabout it.

One thing it goes to show - they test rigorously for these things, and I think this goes to exonerate Lance Armstrong. If they tested and tested and tested him and never found anything, but they test Landis and he's busted, the tests must be accurate. No positive results for Lance tells me something.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Verdun Barbarians » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:47 am

I can't say I'm surprised by that one...
Verdun Barbarians
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Flux » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:41 am

And to think we almost had a winner with no question marks surrounding him....should have known better :-t
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SniperShot » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:42 am

Sucks sucks sucks. So what happens if this is true? 2nd place gets the win? This is messed up.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:44 am

your shocked by this
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

Postby The Balanced Man » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:10 am

Heres an article on it.

Team says Landis tested positive during Tour de France
Team says Landis tested positive during Tour de France

By STEPHEN WILSON, AP Sports Writer
July 27, 2006

AP - Jul 27, 11:26 am EDT
More Photos

LONDON (AP) -- Tour de France champion Floyd Landis tested positive for high levels of testosterone during the race, his Phonak team said Thursday on its Web site, raising questions about his victory.

The team suspended Landis, pending results of the backup "B" sample of his drug test, just four days after Landis stood on the victory podium on the Champs-Elysees, succeeding seven-time winner Lance Armstrong as an American winner in Paris.

The Swiss-based Phonak team said it was notified by the UCI on Wednesday that Landis' sample showed "an unusual level of testosterone/epitestosterone" when he was tested after stage 17 of the race last Thursday.

"The team management and the rider were both totally surprised of this physiological result," the Phonak statement said.

Landis made a remarkable comeback in that Alpine stage, racing far ahead of the field for a solo win that moved him from 11th to third in the overall standings. He regained the leader's yellow jersey two days later.

ADVERTISEMENT

Landis rode the Tour with a degenerative hip condition that he has said will require surgery in the coming weeks or months.

Arlene Landis, his mother, said Thursday that she wouldn't blame her son if he was taking medication to treat the pain in his injured hip, but "if it's something worse than that, then he doesn't deserve to win."

"I didn't talk to him since that hit the fan, but I'm keeping things even keel until I know what the facts are," she told The Associated Press in a phone interview from her home in Farmersville, Pennsylvania. "I know that this is a temptation to every rider but I'm not going to jump to conclusions ... It disappoints me."

The Phonak statement came a day after the UCI, cycling's world governing body, said an unidentified rider had failed a drug test during the Tour.

Phonak said Landis would ask for an analysis of his backup sample "to prove either that this result is coming from a natural process or that this is resulting from a mistake."

Landis has been suspended by his team pending the results. If the second sample confirms the initial finding, he will be fired, Phonak said.

USA Cycling spokesman Andy Lee said that organization could not comment on Landis.

"Because it's an anti-doping matter, it's USA Cycling's policy not to comment on that subject out of respect for the process and Floyd's rights," Lee said. "Right now, we have to let the process proceed and we can't comment on it."

Carla O'Connell, publications and communications director for the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, said: "I'll make this very brief: No comment."

AP - Jul 27, 11:22 am EDT
More Photos

Under World Anti-Doping Agency regulations, a ratio of testosterone to epitestosterone greater than 4:1 is considered a positive result and subject to investigation. The threshold was recently lowered from 6:1. The most likely natural ratio of testosterone to epitestosterone in humans is 1:1.

Testosterone is included as an anabolic steroid on WADA's list of banned substances, and its use can be punished by a two-year ban.

Landis wrapped up his Tour de France win on Sunday, keeping the title in U.S. hands for the eighth straight year. Armstrong, long dogged by doping whispers and allegations, won the previous seven. Armstrong never has tested positive for drugs and vehemently has denied doping.

Speculation that Landis had tested positive spread earlier Thursday after he failed to show up for a one-day race in Denmark on Thursday. A day earlier, he missed a scheduled event in the Netherlands.

On the eve of the Tour's start, nine riders -- including pre-race favorites Jan Ullrich and Ivan Basso -- were ousted, implicated in a Spanish doping investigation.

The names of Ullrich and Basso turned up on a list of 56 cyclists who allegedly had contact with Spanish doctor Eufemiano Fuentes, who's at the center of the Spanish doping probe.

Associated Press writer Michael Rubinkam in Allentown, Pa., and AP Sports Writer Arnie Stapleton in Denver contributed to this report.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news;_ylt=Au ... &type=lgns
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:52 am

The Balanced Man wrote:Heres an article on it.

That's pretty much the same article I posted earlier. Until the "B" test comes back positive it's still possible it's an errant test, but these guys are so good at testing now that the "B" sample test is really just a formality. He probably did it and he's going down.

Of course, the conspiracy theorist in me says it's highly possible that the WADA, which has a history of let's just say "questionable" practices in relation to Lance Armstrong, may have added just a smidge of testosterone to the sample in an effort to smear another American.

With cycling a predominantly European sport it provides no end of consternation to the cycling world that an American has won 11 of the last 21 Tours, cycling’s most prestigious event. I can easily see the potential for a “mistake” in the testing process that would cast aspersions on the American who won AGAIN. Believe me, they hate that over there.

It’s just a theory, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it were true.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby jayday » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:52 am

Flux wrote:And to think we almost had a winner with no question marks surrounding him....should have known better :-t

Lol, you think Lance hasn't been questioned the last 7-8 years?

Anyway, I was not in the least bit surprised.....Landis was dead in the water and absolutely drained after stage 16, and then proceeds to come out the next day and pull off one of the most impressive days in cycling history making up like 6 or 7 minutes on the leader....

Too bad though, he was a feel good story....But there is more doping in cycling than baseball ever thought about....
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Twisted Sister » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:54 am

these drugs really impact performance that much?
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk