Breaking: Tour de France Winner Landis Tests Positive - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Breaking: Tour de France Winner Landis Tests Positive

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby knapplc » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:56 pm

JohnnyUnitas wrote:I'm not saying he didn't do it. But I do think it's impossible any form of doping improves performance overnight. So whatever they're saying, that he probably used something after stage 16 when he was dead in the water, and that's how he made his come-back in stage 17, I think is impossible. It's not like Popeye with his spinach. Doping doesn't effect you immediately.

Unfortunately, the B-sample is indeed usually just a formality. Landis probably used well before the Tour de France even started. Oh well, just another illusion down the drain, I guess.
:-t

The whole point of blood doping is to radically increase the amount of red blood cells in the system, thereby increasing the amount of oxygen getting to the muscles almost instantly. Yes, it is possible to get that kind of immediate reaction from doping, and it would explain why Landis went from dead in the water one day to back in contention the next. There were immediate suspicions of doping, but the test didn't come back until recently.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Redskins Win » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:48 pm

SniperShot wrote:Sucks sucks sucks. So what happens if this is true? 2nd place gets the win? This is messed up.

yeah i think that's it. and this dude gets disqualified.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:31 pm

Terrible news...yes, I was shocked that he came out the next day and dominated the stage, but Lance had done it in the past, so I just assumed he found something in the tank...I guess he did. :-/

If he did juice, then cycling as a whole is going to get thrown in the toilet (not that it was huge in America to begin with but still). It's really a shame, too...the competition is pretty cool, but if people are constantly cheating to gain the edge, how can you be sure about anything? I like track and field also, but the same crap happens in those sports as well. :,-(

We should just do what my friend Bill says...let everyone juice legally and just have a cyborg cycling circuit. At least everyone is on the same level then. :*)
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:43 pm

knapplc wrote:Yeah, yeah. Knock it if you want, but almost ANY activity can be a challenging sport if you do hard enough, fast enough and long enough.

lol.

sex.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby lmcjaho » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:51 am

Bah - who cares?

Seriously though, I would find it a little questionable if a guy who wins one of these events DIDN'T have abnormally high testosterone levels - that's why he was able to out-man the others in the first place!
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby moonhead » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:32 am

lmcjaho wrote:Bah - who cares?

Seriously though, I would find it a little questionable if a guy who wins one of these events DIDN'T have abnormally high testosterone levels - that's why he was able to out-man the others in the first place!

it was compared to another sample. compared to the other one it was out of proportion. so it threw up a flag.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jayday » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:13 am

moonhead wrote:it was compared to another sample. compared to the other one it was out of proportion. so it threw up a flag.

Of course Landis' testosterone levels were off the charts....He's American with huge American "love stones".....Heck, we should be given awards for even being able to sit on those bikes with these things.....Any American's sample will look off the charts when compared to a sissy French sample :-b (This was a summarization of what Stephen Colbert said last night)

Flux wrote:bingo!

Gotcha ;-D
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:25 am

knapplc wrote:
JohnnyUnitas wrote:I'm not saying he didn't do it. But I do think it's impossible any form of doping improves performance overnight. So whatever they're saying, that he probably used something after stage 16 when he was dead in the water, and that's how he made his come-back in stage 17, I think is impossible. It's not like Popeye with his spinach. Doping doesn't effect you immediately.

Unfortunately, the B-sample is indeed usually just a formality. Landis probably used well before the Tour de France even started. Oh well, just another illusion down the drain, I guess.
:-t

The whole point of blood doping is to radically increase the amount of red blood cells in the system, thereby increasing the amount of oxygen getting to the muscles almost instantly. Yes, it is possible to get that kind of immediate reaction from doping, and it would explain why Landis went from dead in the water one day to back in contention the next. There were immediate suspicions of doping, but the test didn't come back until recently.

From what I understand Landis failed a test showing high testosterone levels which means steroids. The other riders that got DQ'ed tested positive for blood doping which increases the red blood cells. From what I've heard blood doping is the "steroids" of cycling and the thing that is abused, and ACTUAL steroids have little if any effect on cyclists.

This is why a lot of people are confused, why would Landis take steroids when it doesn't really help? This wasn't the blood doping that the other riders were found guilty of. No one has ever been DQ'ed for failing the test Landis failed in cycling, the rider has won the appeal every single time.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Twisted Sister » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:00 am

I've been listening to this story develop over the radio. A lot of doctors and experts are actually doubtful that he his guilty. They cited that in athletes' testosterone levels can swing wildly.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:01 am

Twisted Sister wrote:I've been listening to this story develop over the radio. A lot of doctors and experts are actually doubtful that he his guilty. They cited that in athletes' testosterone levels can swing wildly.

they're saying that it could be related to the beers he drank the night before! yeah that's it. it's the beer's fault! that's my excuse.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk