Drafting system being debated - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Drafting system being debated

Moderator: Football Moderators

Drafting system being debated

Postby Mynno » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:37 pm

Presently our league uses a random system to draft. We roll 2 ten sided dice which will result in a number from 1-100 and the lowest roll gets first pick in the round to highest roll getting last pick in round. We do this for each round of our draft.

Some in our league think this is unfair because one could get stuck with some bad luck and roll badly thus getting low picks in each round. Others think this is the most fair way since every one has an equal chance per round to get first pick in that round.

Two other methods have been put forth and we are voting on this issue soon to use in our draft this year. The other two are:

Straight Serpentine: Roll random for first round to get draft position for that round and then alternate this position every round. Example: You get 1st pick in round 1 then you get 10th pick in round 2, 1st pick in round 3 and 10th pick in round 4 etc. etc.

Modified Serpentine: Roll random for draft position every odd number round and on even rounds alternate position. Example: You get 2nd pick in first round then you get 9th pick in round 2, you then roll again and get to pick 7th in round 3 then 3rd in round 4 etc. etc.

Which system do you see as most fair?

1.Random Rolls: to determine draft position per round.

2.Straight Serpentine: alternating position every round.

3. Modified Serpentine: Roll to determine position every odd round and alternate that position every even round.

We are just a small group of close friends in a 10 team league and this is only issue we ever seem to be split on.
Mynno
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Postby BGbootha » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:44 pm

Wow, well i guess i would say just do a normal serpentine. I am not sure you could really say that rolling the dice to pick your draft spot would be fun during any round.

I mean really, you could get screwed in teh first three rounds, and then win the rest, but win the last 6, but who cares at that point you are just filling in your roster anyay.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Postby Mynno » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:52 pm

Yes I know. We have been using the random dice method now for about 12 years. I personally have been trying to promote an auction type draft but most of the other owners think it would take too long.

Sigh it is really the only fair way to draft.
Mynno
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby ampant » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:51 pm

The way you are doing it now makes no sense, :-t and the last option doesn't make any sense either. A regular serpentine draft is the only fair way. Luck sets the starting order, and thereafter it is a fair as can be. I can't imagine planning for a draft not knowing what pick I am going to have in any round!

Personally, I would never play in a league that drafted that way.
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby RJ24VC15 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:38 pm

Just pick out of a hat for draft position and go 1-10, then for round 2 #10 gets first pick and go back and forth. It's fair because the #1 pick gets the best player but the middle to late people get 2 quality players early.
RJ24VC15
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer

Postby SniperShot » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:43 pm

Hehe the dice rolling needs to go dude! I know you've been doing it since before the internet (not really) but I don't care. Times have changed and so should you! But if you must you can roll the dice at the start for round 1. Then do a serpentine with number 1 pick, picking last in round 2 and so on.

Who the heck has 10 sided dice??
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:26 am

ampant wrote:The way you are doing it now makes no sense, :-t and the last option doesn't make any sense either. A regular serpentine draft is the only fair way. Luck sets the starting order, and thereafter it is a fair as can be. I can't imagine planning for a draft not knowing what pick I am going to have in any round!

Personally, I would never play in a league that drafted that way.

I totally agree and can't believe that you've been randomly drafting in every round for 12 years. That's insane and totally unfair. Straight serpentine is by far the fairest and only way to go.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby suppasonic » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:32 am

SniperShot wrote:

suppasonic
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kilroy » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:33 am

First, welcome to the cafe! ;-D

Second, put the d10s away. There's a time and place for percentile rolls, and Fantasy Football ain't it.

Third, Serpentine. Easy, Fair, Everyone wins.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Kilroy » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:35 am

suppasonic wrote:
SniperShot wrote:

Ah, the wasted days of my youth. :-D

Still play occasionally. ;-D

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Next

Return to Football Talk