What are the odds that Joey Harrington beats C-pepp ? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What are the odds that Joey Harrington beats C-pepp ?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby meatwad10 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:03 pm

Joey isn't a horrible quarterback, he was just a victim of circumstances. Call me crazy, but I can see him getting a few games started due to injury, and giving the Miami coaching staff a hard decision as to who should start.
meatwad10
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dadd » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:11 pm

If Joey has a nice game, then the coaching staff would have to reevalutate? :-?

Riiight, just like in '03 when Frerotte came in for Culpepper and threw for 240 and 2 TD. Immediately huge controversy erupted and everyone was calling for Daunte to be benched.

No way Harrington will EVER cause debate as to whether he should be starting over a half-way healthy Culpepper.

EVER
Dadd
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby maddog60 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:41 pm

meatwad10 wrote:Joey isn't a horrible quarterback, he was just a victim of circumstances. Call me crazy, but I can see him getting a few games started due to injury, and giving the Miami coaching staff a hard decision as to who should start.

Victim of poor coaching maybe, but plenty of QBs have done more with less. This is a guy who had 3 1st rounders spent on his WRs while in Detroit, two top notch FA Guards brought in to bolster his line, a (at the time) steal of a 2nd rounder in a RB, and Peyton's Manning's TE brought in, all to help him, and he still fell flat on his face.

I'm sorry, but every year since he's entered the league, we continue hearing how poor Joey just never had any help, but the one consistency has been him, and he's always been bad in the NFL. Whether those additions turned out to be as helpful as expected or not, few teams invested so much of their draft and FA cap room in the past three years just to bring in a supporting cast for their struggling QB, yet no improvement from Harrington.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Neck » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:36 pm

Pjluva10 wrote:BIG FAT 0 :-° , he suck worse than everything that has ever sucked.
really? Even worse then Ryan Leaf? or how about the really spiffy Det qb, Charlie Batch? How about Ty "I can hold a clipboard better than a pigskin" Detmer? Was he really that bad? Or what about David Carr? Harrington threw for 48 tds over the last 3 yrs and #1 draft pick Carr threw for 39. They each started the same # of games over the last 3 yrs. What's Carr's excuse? Why doesn't Carr catch some crap instead of Joey?
Neck
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby maddog60 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:44 pm

Neck wrote:Or what about David Carr? Harrington threw for 48 tds over the last 3 yrs and #1 draft pick Carr threw for 39. They each started the same # of games over the last 3 yrs. What's Carr's excuse? Why doesn't Carr catch some crap instead of Joey?

So you think Joey is better because he threw more TD passes? Have you ever heard of a QB Rating? Much more comprehensive, Carr has a better one over those 3 years.

Oh, and also, in case you've never heard of Houstons offensive line (aka a DE's best friend): Carr has been sacked 208 in 60 games, and Joey has been sacked 109 times in 58 games. Joey was a worse QB with better protection, that's why he takes more flack than Carr, and deservedly so.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Wesley Walker » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:59 pm

saundman2000 wrote:...even some really bad consecutive games from C-Pepp...

This is very likely from C-Pep.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:38 pm

maddog60 wrote:
meatwad10 wrote:Joey isn't a horrible quarterback, he was just a victim of circumstances. Call me crazy, but I can see him getting a few games started due to injury, and giving the Miami coaching staff a hard decision as to who should start.

Victim of poor coaching maybe, but plenty of QBs have done more with less. This is a guy who had 3 1st rounders spent on his WRs while in Detroit, two top notch FA Guards brought in to bolster his line, a (at the time) steal of a 2nd rounder in a RB, and Peyton's Manning's TE brought in, all to help him, and he still fell flat on his face.

I'm sorry, but every year since he's entered the league, we continue hearing how poor Joey just never had any help, but the one consistency has been him, and he's always been bad in the NFL. Whether those additions turned out to be as helpful as expected or not, few teams invested so much of their draft and FA cap room in the past three years just to bring in a supporting cast for their struggling QB, yet no improvement from Harrington.

He wasnt just a victim of poor supporting cast - clearly he was - but he also suffered under the wet toast offense of Mariucci. When you have no running game and the coaches literally refuse to try and stretch the field, Its gonna be pretty tough on any QB. Joey was throwing some of the prettiest 20 yd passes to the sidelines for 3 yd gains you will ever see.

As for QB rating, I guess I disagree that its a very good measure of anything but what happened given the circustances. Its certainly not a good measure of talent if thats what you were implying.

Take Cpepp as a great for instance. Is it any wonder his rating dropped to the lowest of his career the yr they lost Moss and switched to an offensive system that played away from his abilities? A lot of people thought he would have a difficult time reading defenses and making those quick timing passes required for the West Coast, and from what we saw he looked lost last yr making that adjustment. Now he goes to MIA, and presumably they will run an offense similar to the one they were running in MIN prior to last yr - one that plays to Cpepp's ability to throw a great deep ball.

Will Joey overtake Cpepp? Probably not - but from the majority of the responses I've read its clear to me that most people rate Joey too low and Cpepp too high. Cpepp isnt as great as many people think - he does have major holes in his game (reading defenses and mid range accuracy), and Joey has been pretty stifled in Detroit (not saying he doesnt have holes in his game as well - obviously larger than Cpepp's). It wouldnt suprise me all that much if there indeed was a QB controversy down in MIA sometime this yr.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby theimitator » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:59 pm

Neck wrote:
Pjluva10 wrote:BIG FAT 0 :-° , he suck worse than everything that has ever sucked.
really? Even worse then Ryan Leaf? or how about the really spiffy Det qb, Charlie Batch? How about Ty "I can hold a clipboard better than a pigskin" Detmer? Was he really that bad? Or what about David Carr? Harrington threw for 48 tds over the last 3 yrs and #1 draft pick Carr threw for 39. They each started the same # of games over the last 3 yrs. What's Carr's excuse? Why doesn't Carr catch some crap instead of Joey?

There's a worse QB out of Oregon: Akili Smith.
14 Team w/FLX .5PPR
The Porkchop Express
QB: Carson Palmer, Vince Young
RB: Maurice Jones-Drew, Matt Forte, Reggie Bush, Tim Hightower
WR: Greg Jennings, Anquan Boldin, Terrell Owens, Jabar Gaffney
TE: John Carlson, Ben Watson
PK: R Gould
TD: NO, TB
theimitator
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Neck » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:55 pm

theimitator wrote:
Neck wrote:

There's a worse QB out of Oregon: Akili Smith.
See! I rest my case.
Neck
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby moochman » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:22 pm

I can't imagine how much steam will come out of Saban's ears the first time Joey checks down and throws behind someone. If C-Pep is healthy enough to play, he will start. They didn't bring him there to sit him and he isn't bad enough to lose his job to Harrington.

If he isn't healthy enough to play then whoever the 3rd stringer is had better prep for playing time. Joey is damaged goods...or maybe that should be damaged bads. Mediocre arm strength, poor accuracy, and very little mind left after the blender that Mariucci's stupifying O put him through. Not good, Mav.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk