Volek / Collins - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Volek / Collins

Moderator: Football Moderators

Volek / Collins

Postby Wesley Walker » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:32 pm

If Kerry Collins somehow ends up in Tennessee, does anyone think he could seriously challenge for the starting job?
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mrblitz » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:35 pm

Personally I don't. He will be lucky to be a number 2 instead of a number 3. Volek is the man!

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby moonhead » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:36 pm

i think he could challenge for the spot....so long as he doesn't drink before practice. ;-)
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Indys_time » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:26 pm

Somehow IMO Volek has always done a solid job backing up McNair. As a starter and then eventually losing some snaps to V.Young he could easily break 3000yds and probably 20tds.
Thanks to Joelamosobadiah for another great sig
Indys_time
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby LT Blue Colt » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:19 pm

I don't think Collins could take the job away from Volek. I think Volek is a very underrated QB this season. I really hope TEN doesn't try to interfere with his rhythm by having Young take too many snaps. And I hope their backfield can produce enough of a threat to keep his passing game alive. I know it doesn't sound promising with all this hope, but the Titans have had pretty mediocre talent the past few years and Billy has done well. I think as TEN's full fledged starting QB he will really shine.
LT Blue Colt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby michaelavelli » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:25 pm

Newsflash for you guys:

If Collins does in fact sign with the Titans, he's not doing it to be a backup quarterback.

Volek is incredibly overrated, and you don't need to look further than the TEN front office making this move to see how overrated everyone has him - Tennessee does not want to have Volek starting under center.
michaelavelli
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Inukchuk » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:45 pm

michaelavelli wrote:Newsflash for you guys:

If Collins does in fact sign with the Titans, he's not doing it to be a backup quarterback.

Volek is incredibly overrated, and you don't need to look further than the TEN front office making this move to see how overrated everyone has him - Tennessee does not want to have Volek starting under center.

Do you have any evidence to back up your claims that Collins will definitely start and that Volek is overrated, or is it just your opinion?

I totally disagree that Volek is overrated. Of course, the only evidence that I have is his career statistics:

312/517 (60.3%); 3505YD; 26TD; 13INT

I happen to think that these are quite good. An overrated player is one whose numbers do not back up the hype surrounding him (aka Michael Vick). First off, Volek hasn't been considered a top QB by anyone. Also, his numbers suggest that he may very well become a very good QB. That, I believe, is the definition of an underrated player.
Inukchuk
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheDiplomats » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:13 pm

Not to mention Volek has been getting alot of praise from his coaches this summer.

Machiavelli has no idea what he's talking about.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby aaawall91 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:04 pm

Actully he does, hes right for the most part, If Tennesse signs Collins its to mentor Young, its to show him what a starting Quarterback does, not a life-long back-up, Volek can hold it done when his starter is down, but hes enver done it for a full season, he hasnt taken the bumps and brusies the starting QB as, Collins has been through all that and would be a mentor to Young, and the best way to learn about being a starting QB is to watch one. and IMO Volek cant teach Young what Collins can.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby michaelavelli » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:07 pm

Volek's career numbers came in a completely different offense and he was involved in a lot of shootouts - this offense with Norm Chow is a short to intermediate pass offense.

He's a guy that has looked good in sport starts, and that gets all the fantasy guys on his bandwagon, so even questioning how he'll be as a full-time starter draws out the comments you see on this thread "michaelavelli doesn't know what he's talking about," etc.

I ask you two simple questions:

Why would the Titans bother signing Collins? Fisher has already said that Young could see some time this season - so why go out of your way to sign a veteran QB that makes Young your QB3?

Why would Collins bother signing with the Titans? Collins has already said he was considering retirement, and didn't need the money. Why would he leave his ranch to go to training camp to be a backup quarterback on a lousy team in a strong division?

Take off the Volek-and-Derrick-Mason-put-up-huge-numbers-2-years-ago blinders and look at the situation logically. Tennessee doesn't think Volek can start - the writing is on the wall.
michaelavelli
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk