Worst GM in the NFL. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Worst GM in the NFL.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby aaawall91 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:53 pm

Im sure he gets MUCH worse than this...im sure theres more than a fair share of trojans and viruses, from his fellow detroiters.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby giants! » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:24 pm

aldridg6in wrote:
planetofdamapes wrote:I'll 6th it...I seriously think I could do his job

Who's worse Millen in the NFL or Isiah in the NBA?

Putting in the 7th vote for Millen.

As bad as Millen is, I really think Isiah may be worse. At least Millen has drafted talent in the 1st round. Isiah can't even get that right. I could do a better job than Isiah and I gave up on the NBA long ago.

Channing Frye, David Lee, and Nate Robinson arent talent?
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106][b]Visit the new and improved GREAT DEBATES forum.[/b][/url]
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bdrotoronto » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:34 pm

maddog60 wrote:I'm going to go with the guy who has been running the Bills recently. Millen is an obvious, and deserving choice, but I think the Bills have had even worse management. When you need to change head coaching after what 2 year? and you have a team that should be doing so much better, yet you completely mess up your franchise QB's development (the guy you traded up for) and fail to address worsening issues along the o-line (like in Houston), I think you deserve at least a nomination for worst GM.

Most of the problems in Buffalo are the fault of Tom Donahoe, who was fired as their GM during the off-season. Marv Levy has been the GM since about April, and while I don't think he's done anything good since he's been there, I still think he's better than Millen. He didn't fire the coach Mularkey either, they actually wanted to keep him, the coach just up and quit on them and moved to Miami.

This all being said, between Levy and Wilson (80 or 90 years old each), the Bills are still easily among the 5 most poorly run franchises right now. Levy was great as a coach there once, but that was 15 years ago with a much different team in a pretty different league and with a much better QB. Levy was only in "early" retirement age at that time, too. :-D
bdrotoronto
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby maddog60 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:46 pm

bdrotoronto wrote:Most of the problems in Buffalo are the fault of Tom Donahoe, who was fired as their GM during the off-season.

Ah, I wasnt sure if they had fired the GM as well as coach, hence how ambiguous I left it. Yeah, I won't fault Levy for the current condition, though that first draft had some iffy calls, they also had some steals, its way too early to decide either way.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby UTLonghorns » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:48 pm

I millionth Millen. :-b
UTLonghorns
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb Supporter

Postby aldridg6in » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:00 pm

giants! wrote:
aldridg6in wrote:
planetofdamapes wrote:I'll 6th it...I seriously think I could do his job

Who's worse Millen in the NFL or Isiah in the NBA?

Putting in the 7th vote for Millen.

As bad as Millen is, I really think Isiah may be worse. At least Millen has drafted talent in the 1st round. Isiah can't even get that right. I could do a better job than Isiah and I gave up on the NBA long ago.

Channing Frye, David Lee, and Nate Robinson arent talent?

I'll give you Frye, but the other two aren't going to be superstars. Check out what that "talent" did for the Knicks this year.

For further evidence, check out Mike Sweetney and now Renaldo Balkman WAY too high.
aldridg6in
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Ek » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:28 pm

I'm going with whoever runs the Bills in the NFL - Millen is bad, but he at least has accumlated some talent to build around (not that he'll have any idea how to go about doing so)...Isaiah is worse than both however. Not only have the Knicks been awful every year but one since he took the reigns, but

- they have the league's highest payroll (by a large margin I believe) and won't have cap room at any point in the near future, and

- they had no first round draft pick this year, and next year will be swapping picks with the Bulls, who most people are picking 2nd or 3rd in the East.
Ek
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby steelerfan513 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:35 pm

im gonna go with someone new: tennessee. theyve never been good at handing out money, and they totally dissed mcnair after he was the face of the franchise for many years.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Sweetness34 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:38 pm

Millen must have incriminating pictures of the Ford family to still have his job. Harrington was a bad choice, Rogers was another flop, but taking Mike Williams was the epitome of stupid. As a Bears' fan, I must say I am so glad he's still there.
Sweetness34
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:16 am

Millen is a poor GM, but he isnt nearly as bad as most of you think.

The record was largly a result of a massive rebuilding effort he had to undertake with almost no young talent and huge contracts inherited from the previous regime.

I have no problems with most of his drafts. I dont think he wanted Harrington (forced upon him by the Fords who wanted a face for the rebuilding effort). He traded up to get one of the premier DTs in the league (Rogers), and absolutely robbed CLE in the Roy Williams and Kevin Jones for Kellen Winslow trade. Last yrs pick of Mike Williams was clearly the most controversial.

Millen also has had some pretty successful FA pickups as well (along with a few very poor ones).

Millen's biggest mistakes have been the hiring (and firing) of coaches. Mariucci's time in Detroit was terrible to watch - his Wet Toast offense, his awful assistant coaches, his complete lack of leadership, his girl scout training camps, etc... Millen's biggest mistake was clearly the hiring of Mariucci and then letting things get so out of control when it was obvious this team needed something else. He never forced Mariucci to play certain players even though most people think he did - and the truth is he probably should have.

Overall, I guess I am more sympathetic to Millen because of the state of affairs he inherited and because of the Mariucci fiasco, but Im in no way a "fan" of his - he still has done some stupid things.

Hopefully he got it right with the new coaching staff this time.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk