New Fantasy Football Column 7/30/06 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

New Fantasy Football Column 7/30/06

Moderator: Football Moderators

New Fantasy Football Column 7/30/06

Postby Warpigs » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:16 pm

Hey all. My new article is published at The Daily Item website. Would love to hear what you all have to say about it -- talking about "Golden Tickets" to find in your draft...

http://www.dailyitem.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060729/SPORTS/607290313
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby planetofdamapes » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:43 pm

Solid article....but can we keep Kitna on the DL...don't want people seeing him haha
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
planetofdamapes
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Kilroy » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:31 am

The idea of forming a league of Daily Item readers and documenting it throughout the season is a great one.

Once again, good read WP. ;-D

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby xted30 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:27 am

Another good read. I agree that Kitna will fall enough to get great value. I, however am not as sold on Ronnie as most people. But, to each his own, and the more info and opinions you have to consider, the better off you are. Thanks for providing that info for us again.
xted30
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby programatik » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:22 am

hmm, i dont view ronnie as good a rb as others either. most drafts i see have him 6 - 8 adp. I don't have him till at least 12. Though thats not that far off, it might be this early in the draft. looks like pigs agrees.
programatik
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby socceryank » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:43 am

Great topic, and I totally agree with Kitna. I don't think many Lion fans even realize what he can bring to the table; he should have been a starter years ago.

I just don't see how Ronnie Brown can be considered a Golden Ticket though. When I think of your definition of a GT, it seems his ceiling is too low in relation to his draft position (I agree that 2nd round is about right). I'm not saying he doesn't have the potentional to do extremely well, but I don't think of him as a diamond in the rough the same way that someone like Kitna and Cooley could just explode...their hidden upside sound more like Golden Tickets in relation to their draft positions.

Great article once again...not the typical drivel we are forced to read for other "experts."
socceryank
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Warpigs » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:04 pm

socceryank wrote:Great topic, and I totally agree with Kitna. I don't think many Lion fans even realize what he can bring to the table; he should have been a starter years ago.

I just don't see how Ronnie Brown can be considered a Golden Ticket though. When I think of your definition of a GT, it seems his ceiling is too low in relation to his draft position (I agree that 2nd round is about right). I'm not saying he doesn't have the potentional to do extremely well, but I don't think of him as a diamond in the rough the same way that someone like Kitna and Cooley could just explode...their hidden upside sound more like Golden Tickets in relation to their draft positions.

Great article once again...not the typical drivel we are forced to read for other "experts."

Thanks for the props. Concerning Ronnie, though, I see him as a Golden Ticket in terms of watching my draft closely for him as someone who falls into the middle to possibly late second round. I'm hoping for Pick No. 3 overall, and if Ronnie falls all the way back to me as a RB2 under Tomlinson/Alexander/Johnson, I will be VERY confident in the nucleus of my team. I'm not big on Ronnie as a middle to late first round back, but I have seen him fall enough to be considered a great value, IMO.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Shockers » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:04 pm

Warpigs wrote: I'm hoping for Pick No. 3 overall, and if Ronnie falls all the way back to me as a RB2 under Tomlinson/Alexander/Johnson, I will be VERY confident in the nucleus of my team. I'm not big on Ronnie as a middle to late first round back, but I have seen him fall enough to be considered a great value, IMO.

I just don't understand this. Ronnie Brown's ADP is 8-9. In a 10 to 12 team league there is no way he comes back to you in the second round. He is a first round running back. I am not big on Brown either, but you are truly living in a fantasy world if you think he would come back to you late in the second round. You would be very lucky to get him in the second round at all in a serious draft.

Maybe in a free league where nobody is playing for anything you have a chance of getting him late. Even in an 8 team league, the person picking 8th should take him with the first pick in the 2nd round. If you guys know people who are playing for money that are letting him go to the late second... you know where to reach me and consider me in!
Anyone here collect football cards??? PM me for some great trading sites online.
Shockers
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby maddog60 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:27 pm

Whether he should be or not, Ronnie is a 1st rounder in 10-12 team leagues. I wouldnt call any 1st rounder a sleeper.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:03 pm

Yeah Ronnie Brown is by no means a sleeper. If anything he is overhyped.

Kitna wont be the main man in Detriot. Martz's system relies too much on the deep out. I would expect McCown to get the majority of the playing time.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk