Mel Gibson - Hypocrite? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Mel Gibson - Hypocrite?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Mel Gibson - Hypocrite?

Postby Twisted Sister » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:32 am

I remember during his making & release of The Passion - the media was focused on all his skeletons.

The booze, the women, and his father's anti-semetic comments.

Many Jewish groups claimed that the movie was anti-semetic and that Gibson was as well.

What do you guys think?

Disclosure: I'm a fan of his movies, not a hater.

Gibson apologizes for behavior
'I disgraced myself,' star says after 'horrific relapse' and arrest

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- Actor and director Mel Gibson issued a statement on Saturday, apologizing to deputies for his "belligerent behavior" when he was arrested on suspicion of DUI in Malibu the day before.

Gibson said that he has "battled the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse," according to the statement.

Gibson, 50, was pulled over Friday on the scenic Pacific Coast Highway after "deputies were alerted by their radar that his speed was above the posted limit," according to a news release from the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department. (Watch how the arrest casts a different spotlight on Gibson -- 1:28)

When officers approached Gibson they smelled alcohol on his breath, and a Breathalyzer test showed that his blood-alcohol content was 0.12, the sheriff's department release said. The California legal limit is 0.08.

An entertainment news Web site, TMZ.com, alleges in a report posted Saturday that Gibson launched into a profanity-laced tirade at the time of his arrest, hurling anti-Semitic and sexist statements at authorities. The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Office has not confirmed that report.

After being taken into custody, Gibson posted $5,000 bond for his release, said sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore.

The police did not charge him with driving under the influence because it's the district attorney's duty to decide if the arrest merits charges.

In his statement, Gibson acknowledges that he had been drinking Thursday night and that "I did a number of things that were very wrong and for which I am ashamed. I drove a car when I should not have. ... I feel fortunate that I was apprehended before I caused injury to any other person." (Read the full statement)

"I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable," the statement said. "I am deeply ashamed of everything I said."

He added: "Also, I take this opportunity to apologize to the deputies involved for my belligerent behavior. They have always been there for me in my community and indeed probably saved me from myself. I disgraced myself and my family with my behavior and for that I am truly sorry."

Gibson further said he has long battled alcoholism, and "I apologize for any behavior unbecoming of me in my inebriated state and have already taken necessary steps to ensure my return to health."

Gibson, who acted in the "Lethal Weapon" and "Mad Max" movie series, won an Oscar for directing 1995's Oscar-winning best picture "Braveheart."

He reportedly financed the controversial movie "The Passion of the Christ" (2004), which he also directed, with $25 million of his own money.

The film made $370 million at the domestic box office and ranks No. 10 on the all-time box office list. "The Passion of the Christ" was nominated for three Academy Awards.

Gibson's latest movie, "Apocalypto," set in the Mayan civilization of several centuries ago, is due in December.

CNN's Brooke Anderson and Albert Lewitinn contributed to this report.

Copyright 2006 CNN.
Last edited by Twisted Sister on Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby aldridg6in » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:01 am

I never saw "Passion of the Christ" so I can't really comment on it being anti-semitic. As for Gibson's arrest, drunk people say things all the time that they later regret or don't really mean. Doesn't make it right, but I don't know the guy and am not going to judge him off this incident.

The drinking and driving part, that's just wrong. I hold him more accountable for that than anything he said.
aldridg6in
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:20 am

I'm not a huge fan of Gibson's, though I did love Braveheart, but I don't think you can take anything as truth or rational thought when an individual is intoxicated. He was wrong, obviously, and apologized. We'll see if he takes corrective action. As for The Passion, the movie simply depicted the story from the Bible. If pointing out that Jews and Christians disagree on the topics of the New Testament is considered anti-Semetic, then I think people are being much too sensitive grasping at straws to damage a man's image.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby bagobonez » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:40 am

Hypocrite? No. He's a human being. We all make mistakes and none of us are perfect.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby HskrPwr13 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:53 am

bagobonez wrote:Hypocrite? No. He's a human being. We all make mistakes and none of us are perfect.

Agreed....I'll add that a parent wouldnt be any more or less of a hyprocrite than Gibson if one considered him so.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby josebach » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:45 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I'm not a huge fan of Gibson's, though I did love Braveheart, but I don't think you can take anything as truth or rational thought when an individual is intoxicated. He was wrong, obviously, and apologized. We'll see if he takes corrective action. As for The Passion, the movie simply depicted the story from the Bible. If pointing out that Jews and Christians disagree on the topics of the New Testament is considered anti-Semetic, then I think people are being much too sensitive grasping at straws to damage a man's image.

Grasping at straws?
F*****g Jews... The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world." Gibson then asked the deputy, "Are you a Jew?"

Being intoxicated doesn't turn you into a hateful bigot. What it does do is completely remove your inhibitions so that what you really feel comes out. The fact that "Jews" had absolutely nothing to do with his situation yet he still brought it up, gives you a lot more insight to who he is than any sober moment ever could. Add to that his father's anti-semitic comments that were made during the making of "The Passion of the Christ", and you get a pretty good idea what kind of upbringing he had.

There's no excuse... period. Considering Hollywood is half Jewish, he's royally screwed his career.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby PACKman1144 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:14 pm

bagobonez wrote:Hypocrite? No. He's a human being. We all make mistakes and none of us are perfect.

yup yup yup. Right on.

And I dont feel the movie was anti Semitic. It simply told the story as the Bible does. If you feel the Bible is anti Semitic, than thats a whole other debate. But it aint
PACKman1144
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:52 pm

josebach wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:I'm not a huge fan of Gibson's, though I did love Braveheart, but I don't think you can take anything as truth or rational thought when an individual is intoxicated. He was wrong, obviously, and apologized. We'll see if he takes corrective action. As for The Passion, the movie simply depicted the story from the Bible. If pointing out that Jews and Christians disagree on the topics of the New Testament is considered anti-Semetic, then I think people are being much too sensitive grasping at straws to damage a man's image.

Grasping at straws?
F*****g Jews... The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world." Gibson then asked the deputy, "Are you a Jew?"

Being intoxicated doesn't turn you into a hateful bigot. What it does do is completely remove your inhibitions so that what you really feel comes out. The fact that "Jews" had absolutely nothing to do with his situation yet he still brought it up, gives you a lot more insight to who he is than any sober moment ever could. Add to that his father's anti-semitic comments that were made during the making of "The Passion of the Christ", and you get a pretty good idea what kind of upbringing he had.

There's no excuse... period. Considering Hollywood is half Jewish, he's royally screwed his career.

I was, more or less, referring to the criticism he receiving for making The Passion, not necessarily for these most recent actions. What he did was wrong, I'm definitely not disagreeing with that, but it goes back to what happens all too often. Comments are taken either out of context, too serious, or simply are not true. It may not be either of those in this case, but more times than not we are quick to, for lack of a better word, crucify a man before we know the whole story.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby mysticphysh » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:51 pm

As somebody said, nobody's perfect. He's human, he makes mistakes. Even Christians are not perfect. :-D
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:33 am

Mel Gibson wrote:GIMME BACK MY SON!!!
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to General Talk