Mel Gibson - Hypocrite? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Mel Gibson - Hypocrite?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby knapplc » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:37 am

mysticphysh wrote:As somebody said, nobody's perfect. He's human, he makes mistakes. Even Christians are not perfect. :-D

We're no more nor less perfect than non-Christians. The point of being Christian is that we're supposed to know we're not perfect. Sometimes we forget that and act as if we are. :-°
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Jimboozie » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:40 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Mel Gibson wrote:GIMME BACK MY SON!!!

:-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mysticphysh » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:10 pm

Now we know Gibson can't hold his liquior :-D

Apparently there was a coverup...a badly done coverup. The deputy was forced to take stuff out of his report because Gibson knows the sheriff and had done service announcements and stuff for him. But reporters found out anyways. All that anti semetic stuff was originally taken out of the report.
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby citybirds27 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:36 pm

bagobonez wrote:Hypocrite? No. He's a human being. We all make mistakes and none of us are perfect.

;-D
citybirds27
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:39 pm

citybirds27 wrote:
bagobonez wrote:Hypocrite? No. He's a human being. We all make mistakes and none of us are perfect.

;-D

Agreed. I'm not at all condoning what he did or in any way excusing it, but calling him a hypocrite is hypocrisy in and of itself. We've all been hypocrites at times in our lives and I'm sure we've all said stupid things we didn't really mean, and some we did. He's human, and since he's Christian, I'm sure he's forgiven.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:42 pm

The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kilroy » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:12 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:Image

:-*

At least he ditched his unabomber beard (although it may actually have fit with the whole drunken anti-semitic profanity-laced tirade.)

All he would have needed then was a manifesto.

:-D

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:39 pm

Kilroy1872 wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:Image

:-*

At least he ditched his unabomber beard (although it may actually have fit with the whole drunken anti-semitic profanity-laced tirade.)

All he would have needed then was a manifesto.

:-D

and for the record, if i was manly enough to grow a beard, i would want it to look exactly like mel gibsons psycho beard. :-L
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Plindsey88 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:09 pm

Question:

What would the ramifications have been if, in a drunken tirade, Mel, or any other Hollywood actor, would have said something along the lines of:

"F*****g Muslims... Muslims are responsible for all of these wars, you know?"

Somehow I doubt he'd be experiencing the same backlash, and it makes me take note of the double-standard...

I'm not agreeing with anything he said... Just making note of the hypocrisy of the American media...
Last edited by Plindsey88 on Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bolkonsky » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:49 pm

josebach wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:I'm not a huge fan of Gibson's, though I did love Braveheart, but I don't think you can take anything as truth or rational thought when an individual is intoxicated. He was wrong, obviously, and apologized. We'll see if he takes corrective action. As for The Passion, the movie simply depicted the story from the Bible. If pointing out that Jews and Christians disagree on the topics of the New Testament is considered anti-Semetic, then I think people are being much too sensitive grasping at straws to damage a man's image.

Grasping at straws?
F*****g Jews... The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world." Gibson then asked the deputy, "Are you a Jew?"

Being intoxicated doesn't turn you into a hateful bigot. What it does do is completely remove your inhibitions so that what you really feel comes out. The fact that "Jews" had absolutely nothing to do with his situation yet he still brought it up, gives you a lot more insight to who he is than any sober moment ever could. Add to that his father's anti-semitic comments that were made during the making of "The Passion of the Christ", and you get a pretty good idea what kind of upbringing he had.

There's no excuse... period. Considering Hollywood is half Jewish, he's royally screwed his career.

This post is spot-on.

The fact that everyone is giving this guy a pass on these comments is a little annoying...it's not like Mel is just some drunk dude who was talking smack (even if he was, see below): His father is a full-throttle Holocaust denier ("It's all -- maybe not all fiction -- but most of it is")!. Think that might have been a factor growing up? At the very least, he clearly was not raised in an environment sympathetic to Zionism.

Also, do people actually believe that he just happened to rip Jews when he was drunk on this occasion? I know I have said a lot of stupid things during my life, yet it is very rare that I said things I absolutely didn't believe, at least in part. More probable is that this thought is going through his mind on a semi-regular basis and this just happened to be the time he got caught saying it. As prosecutors say, people don't usually get caught the first time they ever do something illegal.

Put simply, my opinion is that it is quite obvious that the guy doesn't like Jews (I have not seen Passion, so this does not factor in). How this affects me, I have no idea and I don't think it does. Accordingly, I don't really care other than how general stupidity and intolerance makes living life a more difficult experience than necessary. OK, I do care a lot in that sense, but it is not like Mel wields legitimate power so I can get over it. Basicaly, I don't think the word hypocrite applies to Mel, although I can think of a few others that do.
Hello, China? I have something you may want. But it's gonna cost you. That's right. All the tea.
bolkonsky
Water Boy
Water Boy

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk