Long time player - first time Commissioner - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Long time player - first time Commissioner

Moderator: Football Moderators

Long time player - first time Commissioner

Postby Original_Geek » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:36 pm

Any advice for newbie Commish?

Private Yahoo League of friends/friends of friends/co-workers

Small money but still money.

The commish from the last several years is just tired of it so I'm taking over because nobody else would.

My philosophies:
1. Let people make stupid trades. Anything other than obvious collusion should be an acceptable trade. Everybody knows everybody, most are all pretty equal in football knowledge (though some think more highly of themselves than their records would indicate) and I have faith that there's enough character amongst my team captains that they won't knowingly cheat.
I've been playing since the days of keeping track of everything on paper and figuring out scores from the box scores in the newspaper (In other words, no fancy Yahoo keeping track for me). I learned a lot from my first years of stupid trades and I don't think I would have if my trades had been rejected by the league. It has to sting to stick.

2. Get the money up front.

3. Have a great year.

As a player all I wanted from my commissioner was cash at the end of the championship game. (Come to think of it, as commssioner, that's what I want too! ;-) ) Am I naive in thinking that's all my league will want from me?
OG - Original Geek
Word to your motherboard
Dallas Cowboys Fan Extraordinaire
May all your players get to play Oakland.
Original_Geek Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby steelerfan513 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:39 pm

agree with all philosophies. ;-D

as long as trades aren't cheating, there is no reason to disallow them (unless it's something like Larry Johnson for Jerome Bettis :-b )
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby stomperrob » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:41 pm

Nope - you're right on target - the best commishioners are the ones you don't even know exist! You should only get involved when something threatens the integrity or competitive balance of the league.
;-D
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

Postby Sweetness34 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:27 pm

As a fellow commish, I agree with you about your trades with one point: make sure there are no "give up" trades either. A few years ago a team in my league started off 0-5 and announced that all his players were on the table for any offer, that he was just mailing it in. He ended up trying to trade away Edge for spare parts. I vetoed the trade because he couldn't explain why he thought the deal would make his team better. If I had allowed it, the balance of power would have been shifted too much. Stupid trades - yes; give up trades - no.

I also write a little league update every few weeks or so - mostly just to smack all the teams out there. It's fun and the other teams enjoy it - something you might consider to make the league livelier.

Good luck this year.
Sweetness34
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby The Balanced Man » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:07 pm

I wrote an article that talks about being a commish, it may help:

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/2006 ... ommish.php
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Jimboozie » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:16 pm

These are the most important things to know.....

1) Bribes are the best perk. No good bribe shall be turned down.

2) Rule changes can be made when they positively effect your team. IE make XPs worth 10 points if it will give you a win over opponent.

3) When paying out teams, the best formula is to round down significantly to the other owners. If they gripe, remind them of league fees and such.

4) You are the commish, you need to establish a godfather persona. Make the other owners your guinea pigs.

Good luck. ;-D
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mrblitz » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:50 pm

Sounds like you got it figured out. Good luck.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Pjluva10 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:22 pm

Plus dont make rule changes or change your mind on a bad trade that was denied because someone is a :~( baby. It always happens once a year someone will try to yell the loudest because they cant accept the fact that you have the leagues best interest in mind. Dont cave to those suckers.
Pjluva10
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Infidel » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:55 pm

Da Commish for 15+ years here.

Listen to the league. If someone proposes a rule change, put it to a vote.

Always look for ways to improve the enjoyment for all. A better league management site, a cheaper site. Fractional scoring. Ways to extend the season like a Toilet Bowl (many alternatives). You get the idea. As Da Commish, you are the keeper of the league and need to look at it as such.

Keep a list of possible new owners if someone quits (for whatever reason).

Set your own schedule with natural rivalries not falling on bye weeks. If they wish to really talk trash, let them both play at full strength.

Most important, remember that it is THEIR league, you are merely the gate keeper. Make it what THEY enjoy and you will enjoy your role. If you do it right, they will respect you and when you have to make a tough decision they will back you, even if they don't agree with you because they know every decision you make is for the good of the league.

Good Luck!
CheeseWhiz is a great substitute for plazma.
Infidel
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Original_Geek » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:55 pm

Sweetness34 wrote:As a fellow commish, I agree with you about your trades with one point: make sure there are no "give up" trades either. A few years ago a team in my league started off 0-5 and announced that all his players were on the table for any offer, that he was just mailing it in. He ended up trying to trade away Edge for spare parts. I vetoed the trade because he couldn't explain why he thought the deal would make his team better. If I had allowed it, the balance of power would have been shifted too much. Stupid trades - yes; give up trades - no.

I also write a little league update every few weeks or so - mostly just to smack all the teams out there. It's fun and the other teams enjoy it - something you might consider to make the league livelier.

Good luck this year.

GReat points all - I will definitely keep an eye out for that.

And yeah - smack will be talked. ;-)
OG - Original Geek
Word to your motherboard
Dallas Cowboys Fan Extraordinaire
May all your players get to play Oakland.
Original_Geek Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk