Updated: July 30, 2006, 6:27 PM ET
Redskins, top pick McIntosh have agreement in principleAssociated Press
National Football League News Wire
ASHBURN, Va. -- Linebacker Roger "Rocky" McIntosh and the Washington Redskins reached an agreement in principle on a four-year contract, one of his agents told The Associated Press on Sunday.
The agent, Eric Metz, said he expects the deal to be finalized before the Redskins open training camp with their first practice Monday afternoon.
"We're not completely done. There's a myriad of approvals that are needed, but he definitely will be on the field, pending approval," Metz said in a telephone interview.
"It's a contract we're pleased with," Metz added.
McIntosh was the Redskins' top draft pick in April, taken in the second round with the No. 35 overall choice. Washington moved up to that slot in a trade with the New York Jets to be able to select the 6-foot-2, 231-pound linebacker out of the University of Miami.
"We're very, very close to a contract with Rocky. I don't think there's anything yet we can announce," Redskins coach Joe Gibbs said Sunday, adding that director of football administration Eric Schaffer "is kind of working around the clock on that."
McIntosh, who led the Hurricanes with 89 tackles and had 5½ sacks in 2005, is considered a contender to take over the weakside spot vacated when LaVar Arrington left to join the New York Giants as a free agent in the offseason.
McIntosh sat out the full-squad minicamp in June to have minor knee surgery.
"He's fine, he's ready to go," Gibbs said.
Metz wouldn't reveal the financial terms of the agreement, but he said McIntosh is "appreciative of the team ... treating him very fairly on a contractual basis."
Gibbs said all players who've been recovering from various injuries should be ready to go when camp begins Monday, including quarterback Mark Brunell, offensive linemen Randy Thomas, Jon Jansen and Casey Raybach, and defensive lineman Renaldo Wynn.
The coach also said the Redskins are waiting to hear from the NFL on a possible punishment for safety Sean Taylor, who pleaded no contest to two misdemeanors in an assault case.
He reached a deal with Florida prosecutors last month after they agreed to drop felony charges against him.