Payout Scandal - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Payout Scandal

Moderator: Football Moderators

Payout Scandal

Postby LukeW9027 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:07 am

So Last year Me, my bro, and a couple of my buddies split the buy in to a big money league (300$) run by this guy on sportsline. We had never met the dude, but we looked and saw that he had run 10+ leagues each year, talked to him on the phone, and seemed like a reliable, good hearted guy.

Well anyways, We ended up winning the league. He wa splanning on keeping this league running for a long period of time with the same core of owners.(redraft) well when the year was over, i guess he took some of the criticisms/complaints we made about the league personally, and ended up booting us out of the league.

We have Email Adresses and AIM Screen names of most of the other members of the league. So the Commish E-Mailed us saying that the payment was being sent by PayPal,a dn that we should be getting it any time.

Well, the Payment didnt come. We emailed him back saying that we never got the $$, and that if he could we would like to see a receipt of the payment he made via paypal. he made some type of excuse up claiming he couldnt get the proof of it. So we emailed/IM some league members telling them that we didnt get our money, and the commish counteracted by telling the league members that he sent the money out, and that we were just trying to couse trouble, etc... b/c we got kicked out of the league.

After some time had passed, we recieved some emails/IMs saying that this dude was failing to pay out the $$ in mulitple of his other leagues.

So Obviously this guy is getting away with stealing money.

We are caught in a bind and dont know what to do... does anyone have some help to offer or the legal ramifications of a problem such as this??

any help would be much appreciated

The Future is here
LukeW9027
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: "In Greek Mythology,The Titans were even greater than the gods" Coach Boone

Postby Jimboozie » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:02 am

I don't know what you could do.

This is why I would never join cash leagues with strangers. If you win, you still lose. :-t
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Payout Scandal

Postby dream_017 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:03 am

LukeW9027 wrote:does anyone have some help to offer

Don't play in big money leagues with people you don't know. Sorry, but I run a lot of pools throughout the year. As much as I want to get the pots bigger, I will not let anyone enter unless I personally know them or a good friend refers them. I also make sure that I get the money from them before the action starts. It is sad but these are the things you have to consider when playing anything for money.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby UTLonghorns » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:08 am

Wow $300 bucks is a lot of money. I would probably contact sportsline and see what they can do about it.
UTLonghorns
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb Supporter

Postby BrutallyHuge » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:10 am

UTLonghorns wrote:Wow $300 bucks is a lot of money. I would probably contact sportsline and see what they can do about it.

I'm sure they have zero obligation to help him out considering he was illegally gambling on sports.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:17 am

Sorry man, but I think you're out $300. It's pretty easy to cut and run with the money when you don't know who has it.

I don't know of any legal ramifications you have. For $300 you're not going to get an attorney involved. If anything you could fly to his town you could sue him in small claims court, but even then you're up against the fact that you're wagering money on something illegally, as Brutal said.

I know it's no fun to hear, but this is exactly why you don't get involved in money leagues with guys you don't know. :-/
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:39 am

yeah, i kind of agree, with the illegal wagering going on, not sure what you could do

guess you could always find out what state he lives in and contact that states Arrorney General and let them know what's going on...but probably more trouble than it's worth for you
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby FantasyMan13 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:43 am

Why don't you try calling him?
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Postby LukeW9027 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:16 pm

Yeah, its really not that big of a deal, it really wouldnt be worth the time and hassle going through all of that. In regards to calling him, we have his number but obviously this guy isnt going answer or give a sh** what we think because he obviously is stealing the money.

But the one thing we have going for us is the fact that we have multiple people that are getting screwed by this piece and that we all know his name, contacts and location, so maybe that would help, and there are power in numbers, but im just not sure what we could do.

The Future is here
LukeW9027
Head Coach
Head Coach

Location: "In Greek Mythology,The Titans were even greater than the gods" Coach Boone

Postby SniperShot » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:43 pm

Man that sux. Can't really do anything about I guess. Just warn as many people you can about him and avoid in the future. My only money league is with friends and family, that's probably how it should be.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Next

Return to General Talk