So low on Randy Moss - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

So low on Randy Moss

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby vickfan07 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:09 am

id take moss with my second pick in the draft after i take smith or a stud like cp or lt
vickfan07
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Twisted Sister » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:12 am

Alkaholik wrote:I am high on Moss this year and love seeing him go in the 3rd in Mocks, cuz when the real drafts are around i will reach for him late 2nd, very early 3rd.

Just curious, gut instinct or something else? Please don't say it's Aaron Brooks vs. Kerry Collins :-[
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Doctor P » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:20 am

Twisted Sister wrote:
Alkaholik wrote:I am high on Moss this year and love seeing him go in the 3rd in Mocks, cuz when the real drafts are around i will reach for him late 2nd, very early 3rd.

Just curious, gut instinct or something else? Please don't say it's Aaron Brooks vs. Kerry Collins :-[

I don't mean to speak for Alkaholik and it's not my intention. I personally do just have a gut feeling that he will be a top 5 receiver by year end. He's in his 2nd year w/a new team and coming off an injury that has placed him low on everyone's list. I will be happy taking him in the late 2nd or early 3rd and probably accompany him w/Fitzgerald or someone like that.....
Doctor P
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 11)

Postby Azrael » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:49 am

Moss is definitely being overlooked. I find myself guilty of that while doing mocks. You shouldn't be afraid of Aaron Brooks being QB either. He's not great but Joe Horn did fine with him. The offense will be different too; it's not Norv's West Coast style. It'll be more vertical, which is to Moss's advantage. He's not a dink and dunk kind of receiver, which is what the WCO focuses on. I have to be more mindful of where he is going...as "crappy" as he was last year, he still had 1,000yds and 8 scores. I certainly expect more from him than that, which makes him a really good, late 2nd-early 3rd rounder.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby mystykoekaki » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:52 am

Moss might be overlooked but I won't use a draft pick on him unless he proves otherwise. I don't think he will be top 5 wr this year.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Twisted Sister » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:57 am

Being drafted in the 2-3rd round is not overlooked, IMO.

Again, I just don't know how you can pass on Harrison/Chambers and pick him up? A pure gamble.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mystykoekaki » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:59 am

Twisted Sister wrote:Being drafted in the 2-3rd round is not overlooked, IMO.

Again, I just don't know how you can pass on Harrison/Chambers and pick him up? A pure gamble.

Exactly.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Azrael » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:00 pm

mystykoekaki wrote:Moss might be overlooked but I won't use a draft pick on him unless he proves otherwise. I don't think he will be top 5 wr this year.

Once he proves he's good again, then you are already behind. Taking educated risks is what wins FF, not waiting until a guy is proven (e.g., Fitzgerald and Palmer last year). If you were savvy enough to draft these guys, it helped your team immensely. This year you get no value for them. I'm not saying they won't be good, it's just that you have to take them early now that they are "proven".

Since Moss has fallen off a bit the last 2 years, you are getting some value for him in the 3rd. If he hits 1,400+ yards and 12+ TDs again, he's back to an early 2nd rounder at worst and thus you pay the price next year for waiting for him to "prove himself".

Same thing can be said for a guy like Chester Taylor. There is risk involved because he reportedly showed up to camp out of shape. But he has all the tools around him to excel. Alot of people want to wait until he "proves himself". Once that occurs, you get no value for him. You also take a chance that he stinks and ends up sharing time or loses his job, but that's how you win at FF.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby mystykoekaki » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:12 pm

Azrael wrote:
mystykoekaki wrote:Moss might be overlooked but I won't use a draft pick on him unless he proves otherwise. I don't think he will be top 5 wr this year.

Once he proves he's good again, then you are already behind. Taking educated risks is what wins FF, not waiting until a guy is proven (e.g., Fitzgerald and Palmer last year). If you were savvy enough to draft these guys, it helped your team immensely. This year you get no value for them. I'm not saying they won't be good, it's just that you have to take them early now that they are "proven".

Since Moss has fallen off a bit the last 2 years, you are getting some value for him in the 3rd. If he hits 1,400+ yards and 12+ TDs again, he's back to an early 2nd rounder at worst and thus you pay the price next year for waiting for him to "prove himself".

Same thing can be said for a guy like Chester Taylor. There is risk involved because he reportedly showed up to camp out of shape. But he has all the tools around him to excel. Alot of people want to wait until he "proves himself". Once that occurs, you get no value for him. You also take a chance that he stinks and ends up sharing time or loses his job, but that's how you win at FF.

Your exactly right when you mentioned you have to take educated risks to help get a potential breakout player, I understand that. My whole point is that what is the cost of doing so with such a high draft pick? Why not just take a more safe pick in another WR?
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bklik » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:21 pm

mystykoekaki wrote:
Twisted Sister wrote:Being drafted in the 2-3rd round is not overlooked, IMO.

Exactly.

Wait a second. Chambers has just recently established himself as a #1 reciever, and now has a new QB who cant read defenses and has just come off a most unmemorable season. He may have Joey Haha throwing to him near the beginning of the season. Yes, I do have chambers as a top 10 reciever, but how is he less of a gamble than Moss?

I can see Harrison being reliable this year, even as he is getting older. Harrison is in a proven system with a proven cast and hasnt slowed down yet.

I have them ranked
Harrison
Moss
Chambers
bklik
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk