So low on Randy Moss - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

So low on Randy Moss

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Teck » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:46 pm

I Love randy this year. everyones low on him, so in one league I got him, TO, and LJ. everyone's low on him, take him if he's th ere.
Thanks Wicked for the sig!
Teck
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby biju » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:47 pm

It seems there are a lot of people on this thread that think people have forgotten how dominant Randy can be. I don't think that's the issue. The big issue is he hasn't been able to play a full season for the last two years.

That doesn't mean he isn't talented when healthy and on the field. It just means there are folks that don't wish to risk a 2nd/3rd round pick on a guy that may not be healthy a full year.

I don't blame them.

What I would suggest however is grabbing him if he slips into the 3rd round. Even if he is an injury risk he's likely to put up a few great games. Then you can use him as trade bait for someone in the top 5 players who you believe has had a bad couple of games and is due for a rebound. Maybe upgrade your #1 RB while also nabbing a WR that isn't performing up to anticipation (I could see both Chris Chambers and Darrell Jackson not starting out good) and make the trade that will win your league.

Eh, it's just a thought anyway. :-o
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:54 pm

Teck wrote:I Love randy this year. everyones low on him, so in one league I got him, TO, and LJ. everyone's low on him, take him if he's there.

See!!! This is exactly what I'm talking about. You are going to have a huge leg up on all the other players in your league because you essentially have a top #1 RB and three #2 RB's getting you big points every week.

Everyone is always big on "upside" - especially for #2 RB's that are unproven - in second round picks. A lot of those don't pan out. Well, this year there are so many RBBC's and question marks that 2nd round picks are all up in the air. That makes it so much easier to take good WR's. We all know how good Moss is when healthy. Personally, I don't see how you let Moss get past pick 20 because if he blows up again, a team with the three top RB's is going to get him and will dominate. If you're going to bet on upside in the 2nd, this would be the guy to do it with.

This is my mantra for fantasy football 2006 - do NOT allow one of the top 8 WR's to fall if you're in a 12 team league.

(No order) Smith, TO, CJ, Holt, Harrison, Fitz, Moss, Boldin. Heck, you might even throw Chambers in there but I don't know if I would. These guys shouldn't be allowed to get back to pick 22. They are dang-near sure-fire producers for your team and would be much better than some RB that is unproven and has competition for his job.

I don't have strong convictions very often, but this is one I'm really sold on. ;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:56 pm

Unless its a dynasty, Moss is the only WR I can pretty much gaurantee will be there in the 3rd that would be my pick every time.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:01 pm

i agree with most of what you said mercer; there arent a lot of running backs i would take in the 2nd round. however, some of the receivers have question marks too, especially IMO the arizona receivers. honestly, with Edge coming to down, does anyone expect both to be good #1 wideouts this year? IMO, one will produce a bit less than last year and one will be a complete bust. and i think that it will be fitz busting b/c Warner likes to throw to Boldin.

other than that, there arent many receivers that have huge question marks that will affect their production and, barring injury, they should be a good #1 wideout.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:05 pm

Why do you believe one is going to be a bust? I see both putting up good numbers like they did last year when Boldin was healthy, but im not so sure that they live up to their ADP's, Especially Fitz. Ill Take TO, CJ, or Holt over McGahee and Rueben Droughns any day of the week.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Re: So low on Randy Moss

Postby Wesley Walker » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:31 pm

Cover 2 wrote:I realize Brooks is no Culpepper, but he has a past with good #'s with Joe Horn a noticably lesser WR, not to mention his scrambling ability is bound to help Moss with a few big broken plays.

Horn is not so "noticeably lesser than Moss. Not in my mind. Both have been hampered by injuries. But each, in their own particular team-offensive situations -- so to a different scale, were dominant receiving threats. But that scale point is key. The Minnesota offense was huge from 2002-2004, at or near the top of the points per game and yards per game categories in the NFC every season. Randy Moss was just one part of that offense.

In '04, Randy Moss scored more TDs with many fewer looks and many fewer games than Horn. But Horn still had 11 TDs and 1300 yards -- many more yards than Moss in a lesser offense.

In '03, Horn had more TDs with many fewer looks and many fewer yards.

In '02, both had 7 TDs. Horn had 88 rceptions for 1300+ yards. Moss had 106 receptions for his 1300+ yards. Horn was better that year. That was with the Vikes averaging more yards total, and more yards through the air than the Saints.

Moss is five years younger than Horn, who was more hampered by his hamstring injury last year than Moss was with his ribs or groin or whatever. But if Horn is healed now, there's no reason he won't be very near Moss-like numbers again.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

Postby xted30 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:30 am

Wesley Walker wrote:
Cover 2 wrote:I realize Brooks is no Culpepper, but he has a past with good #'s with Joe Horn a noticably lesser WR, not to mention his scrambling ability is bound to help Moss with a few big broken plays.

Horn is not so "noticeably lesser than Moss. Not in my mind. Both have been hampered by injuries. But each, in their own particular team-offensive situations -- so to a different scale, were dominant receiving threats. But that scale point is key. The Minnesota offense was huge from 2002-2004, at or near the top of the points per game and yards per game categories in the NFC every season. Randy Moss was just one part of that offense.

In '04, Randy Moss scored more TDs with many fewer looks and many fewer games than Horn. But Horn still had 11 TDs and 1300 yards -- many more yards than Moss in a lesser offense.

In '02, both had 7 TDs. Horn had 88 rceptions for 1300+ yards. Moss had 106 receptions for his 1300+ yards. Horn was better that year. That was with the Vikes averaging more yards total, and more yards through the air than the Saints.

Moss is five years younger than Horn, who was more hampered by his hamstring injury last year than Moss was with his ribs or groin or whatever. But if Horn is healed now, there's no reason he won't be very near Moss-like numbers again.

I think he's saying that Moss has noticeably more atleticism and was the only receiver who's ever been primed as the "next Jerry Rice." That being said, Joe Horn had all those good seasons, IMO, because Brooks forced the ball to him, through single, double, triple coverage, whatever. There's no reason for me to believe that he won't do that with Moss also. I can definitely see him scrambling and just launching the ball up to Moss over and over. And, like Moss did with CPepp, he will go up and get it, thus bailing Brooks out and making huge plays. All this leads to a return to the elite for Moss, IMO.
xted30
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby lovemychiefs » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:17 pm

my late two cents...i dont trust moss just yet.
1) he is coming off consecutive injury years (as previously mentioned by others) and not sure how healthy he really is.
2) though the ints that aaoron brooks will throw will not affect moss potential td production...it will affect wins and losses...and i dont see moss playing to his full capabilities when the raiders rack up losses.
3) a malcontent jerry porter is not good for the raiders and definitely not good for moss.
Even though he was an enemy of mine, I had to admit that what he had accomplished was a brilliant piece of strategy. First, he punched me, then he kicked me, then he punched me again-Jack Handey
lovemychiefs
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ROYALWITCHEESE » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:23 pm

Wesley Walker wrote:

So are we making up things now to fit our argument?

1)Randy had one of the best years for a WR ever in 03. And 17 TDs. I don't know what you are looking at but you are dead wrong here.

2) They both had 7 TD and 1300 yards in 02 but Horn had the better year? Do you believe your own crap? Especially when Randy had 20 MORE receptions?

3) Randy Moss was the Minnesota offense fella, or didn't you watch any Minnesota games last season. Don't make it sound like Randy is the product of some great system.

I'm taking your ridiculous post for what it is: pure hate on Randy Moss. To even mention Joe Horn in the same breath as Moss is laughable. Randy was dominating the league long before Horn arrived, and Horn is much older. Not to mention Randy will still be going to Pro Bowls long after Horn is retired.
ROYALWITCHEESE
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Previous

Return to Football Talk