Pick Evaluator - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Pick Evaluator

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:56 pm

Oh, yeah, I know that thing. There was another thread on it. I guess it was the wording that messed me up.

The thread.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RJ24VC15 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:58 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Oh, yeah, I know that thing. There was another thread on it. I guess it was the wording that messed me up.

The thread.

Yeah, I thought he meant it evauluated 2 different player selections.
RJ24VC15
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer

Postby mystykoekaki » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:00 pm

RJ24VC15 wrote:What sites have leagues that let you trade picks?

I think it's a tool for player trades after you had the draft if I'm not mistaken, either way it's basically the same thing.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pjluva10 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:14 pm

huh good to know ;-D
Pjluva10
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby mpw82 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:10 pm

I think it's a tool for player trades after you had the draft if I'm not mistaken, either way it's basically the same thing.

I dont know of sites that allow draft pick trading, I am sure they exist. Draft pick trading usually occurs in live or slow (email/message board) drafts b/c of the extended time for picks giving people time to move up if they are interested in a player.

This pick value is not a very good tool for after the draft b/c it doesnt account for where the player should have been taken. For instance in one draft, I got Santana moss in the 7th round (i think a steal) and a guy offered me a 8 and 9th for 7th and 13. It says i should do this but it was Moss for Givens and Wilford, which is a bad deal.
Last edited by mpw82 on Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
mpw82
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:10 pm

RJ24VC15 wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Oh, yeah, I know that thing. There was another thread on it. I guess it was the wording that messed me up.

The thread.

Yeah, I thought he meant it evauluated 2 different player selections.

That's exactly what I thought it was too. :-B
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Infidel » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:31 pm

I looked at this a while back and I thought it was meant for the NFL draft. Could be mistaken. Don't think it has any relevance to FF.

Even if it was supposed to be for FF I would not put any credence in it or any other similiar tool. Things change so much from year to year in FF I don't think such a tool could be viable year over year. Example: last year LT was the clear #1, this year the top 3 are almost interchangable. Another, the top tier of WR's is much deeper this year than any year I can remember which surely makes 2nd RD picks more valuable than in the recent past.
CheeseWhiz is a great substitute for plazma.
Infidel
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby mrg345 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:45 pm

Infidel wrote:I looked at this a while back and I thought it was meant for the NFL draft. Could be mistaken. Don't think it has any relevance to FF.

Even if it was supposed to be for FF I would not put any credence in it or any other similiar tool. Things change so much from year to year in FF I don't think such a tool could be viable year over year. Example: last year LT was the clear #1, this year the top 3 are almost interchangable. Another, the top tier of WR's is much deeper this year than any year I can remember which surely makes 2nd RD picks more valuable than in the recent past.

Well it is from Footballguys.com which is a fantasy football site. The creator David Dodds is a fantasy football journalist....so....you do the math.
mrg345
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Infidel » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:30 pm

Well it is from Footballguys.com which is a fantasy football site. The creator David Dodds is a fantasy football journalist....so....you do the math.[/quote]

There is no math involved. I seem to remember an article he wrote over there analyzing the NFL draft and the trades made in which he used this tool.

Since FF is based on REAL football it is not out of the question that there would be SOME content on a FF site about real football.
CheeseWhiz is a great substitute for plazma.
Infidel
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby lmcjaho » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:24 pm

We had a HUGE discussion last year in one of my leagues about whether or not this calculator had any value for Fantasy Football based mostly on the argument presented here by Infidel:

My response at the time (and my continued response) was that the whole concept of the calculator is to give a GENERAL IDEA on whether or not a trade is fair - PERSONAL JUDGEMENT also needs to be used.

For example, you could say that #1-3 are interchangable this year, but in one NFL.com league I had some idiot draft Chad Johnson 1st overall - so really there would be no way to judge the impact this pick would have on the relative value of the rest of the draft, but the CONCEPT of pick 7&27 being equal value to pick 5&36 (just random numbers - did not run through the calculator) is still a valid one to use as a baseline for trades...

BTW - saying LT was the clear-cut #1 last year is overstepping the bounds of reality a bit - many people had SA as #1, or Priest with the understanding that he be handcuffed with LJ...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Previous

Return to Football Talk