Cedric Cobb or Ron Dayne - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Cedric Cobb or Ron Dayne

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:18 pm

Sources at Denver training camp are reporting that undrafted rookie MIKE Bell is ahead of Cedric Cobbs at this point. I would pretty much cross him off any sleeper lists at this point as there is a chance that he might not make the roster.
----

Reports also indicate that Tatum Bell has visibly improved over last year's training camp. Notably, he is dropping a lot less balls.

Regarding Ron Dayne, he is doing well with some ups and downs, and that he is getting slightly more reps than Tatum Bell with the 1st string at this point (~55/45). Could come down to a preseason battle for the starting position, or it could turn into a fullblown RBBC.

I'm still keeping my bets on Dayne at this point, because it seems like Tatum is the one that has to prove he deserves the job, while Dayne has to prove that he can keep the job. Denver training camp dejavu from last year.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby biju » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:12 pm

Just adding in what I've read so far...

Day in review: Coach Mike Shanahan had to quickly mediate a dispute between the offense and defense during team drills in the morning practice Wednesday. On a second-and-4 play in an 11-on-11 period, Ron Dayne was stuffed by the defense after a short gain. When some of the offensive players did not like the spot of the ball, Shanahan yelled, "third-and-2, you're not even close." Defensive tackle Gerard Warren then picked up the ball and tossed it over the offensive huddle . . . Running back Tatum Bell fumbled in a team period

So there's a couple of things here that I find interesting. I like the fact that they're running on a 2nd and 4; Dayne being stuffed for 2 yards however isn't great. But it sounds to me like he may have gotten that extra yard and Shanahan played it as they got a lousy spot. Anyway, 2-3 yards in a short yardage situation is something to actually be happy about. This is because in goalline work yesterday Bell was taken down for a loss and it sounds like he's fumbled twice in the last two days.

Unless the Broncos acquire someone else to do short yardage and goalline work I think Dayne will get the majority of it based on performances so far. Keep in mind that this means nothing except who will get the first crack at it during the preseason games. Shanahan has repeated said that the "starting" RB decision will be made during the preseason games.

Jeff Legwold wrote:(talk about possibly acquiring Thomas Jones from Chicago)...by the same token they believe Dayne and Bell can churn out the kind of yardage Anderson and Bell did last year if they can get it blocked up front.

Those two will get virtually all of the carries, and really it isn't much of a competition right now over who will be the lead back. Dayne has lined up more with the starters so far in the offseason minicamps as well as the early portion of training camp.

Unless something changes drastically in the preseason, Bell is looking at spot duty again, which would limit him to 10-12 carries a game. Also Dayne and Bell will get the majority of carries if things don't shake out differently for the rest of the preseason.

They like Cobbs' potential in the backfield, but right now he isn't in the mix. A rookie, Mike Bell, has also turned some heads in practice, but he has to show something in the preseason games before he can be considered to be in the mix.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Kilroy » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:35 pm

I think Dayne will be the "starter", but we're talking about Shanahan, so who the h**l knows?

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Previous

Return to Football Talk