Commish changing keeper system - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Commish changing keeper system

Moderator: Football Moderators

Commish changing keeper system

Postby stepsinsc » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:17 am

In a 10 team keeper league I'm in, last year was year 1. My team was unbelievably stacked. See this post: http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... highlight=

The league is beginning to get up and running for year 2, and now the Commish has changed the keeper rules. It was originally 3 keepers for 3 years. Now, he's saying the following:

The keeper league concept has been met with mixed reviews, so I decided to create a compromise. The keeper rules are as follows: every team is allowed one keeper for free. Additionally, every team may keep another player in exchange for his first round draft pick. I understand this is not the same policy as first established, but in the interest of the league I think this format is the best policy.

Am I wrong to think this unacceptable? Everyone knew the rules coming into year 1's draft. Everyone knew the rules throughout all last season. And now I'm being penalized for making great trades for Edge and LJ (and in turn getting rid of Priest and C-Mart). And those who made the trades are being given a huge break.

So now I can still keep Portis and LJ, but I lose a 1st round pick. Furthermore, I have the last pick in each round since I won last year's championship, so having those two keepers isn't a HUGE help or anything. I'm getting more upset the more I think about it. Compounding my angst is that it's a $50 entry-fee league. If it were free, I'd probably let it slide.

I've emailed the Commish saying politely that I think at the very least a vote is in order, although I believe a vote will still work out against me. He has replied stating that he thinks 3 of the 10 teams in the league would leave if the keeper system stayed at 3 players. I had told him originally that replacement owners won't be hard to find, since I run a 12 man league in the exact same school that we both go to, and there are only 2 people who are owners in both of our leagues (myself included).

Here's what I need from ya'll. A list of arguments as to why this change should not be allowed. Especially reasons as to why it will hurt the league as a whole, and not just because it's what's best for my team. For example, I was thinking something along the lines of it stunting late season trading b/w teams out of the playoff picture. If they can only keep one free player, how can they trade off their aging veterans for young-future-studs who they may not be able to keep (or who it may not be worth it to keep if they have to give up a 1st round pick)?

Second of all, I was thinking the advantage to me wouldn't be that great since I have the last pick in every round of this year's draft. There is no snaking, so even if I get 3 stud keepers, the appropriate means to try and create more parity is by placing the teams, like mine, who are stacked and who finished high last year, at the end of the draft where they have to wait 10 picks each round before their own.

Any more thoughts are much appreciated!
stepsinsc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby loophole21 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:26 pm

Well you certainly have a point. The commish simply cannot change the rules in the offseason without prior approval, especially in a keeper league. You should suggest a league vote that kicks in NEXT year. This is a pretty ridiculous situation actually. I would be pretty upset if I were you.
loophole21
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 5 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:31 am

I agree. A league vote is in order. (Maybe he already tallied the votes ?? but still I'd be a bit perturbed too)
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Re: Commish changing keeper system

Postby Bloody Sox » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:16 am

stepsinsc wrote:In a 10 team keeper league I'm in, last year was year 1. My team was unbelievably stacked. See this post: http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... highlight=

The league is beginning to get up and running for year 2, and now the Commish has changed the keeper rules. It was originally 3 keepers for 3 years. Now, he's saying the following:

The keeper league concept has been met with mixed reviews, so I decided to create a compromise. The keeper rules are as follows: every team is allowed one keeper for free. Additionally, every team may keep another player in exchange for his first round draft pick. I understand this is not the same policy as first established, but in the interest of the league I think this format is the best policy.

Am I wrong to think this unacceptable? Everyone knew the rules coming into year 1's draft. Everyone knew the rules throughout all last season. And now I'm being penalized for making great trades for Edge and LJ (and in turn getting rid of Priest and C-Mart). And those who made the trades are being given a huge break.

So now I can still keep Portis and LJ, but I lose a 1st round pick. Furthermore, I have the last pick in each round since I won last year's championship, so having those two keepers isn't a HUGE help or anything. I'm getting more upset the more I think about it. Compounding my angst is that it's a $50 entry-fee league. If it were free, I'd probably let it slide.

I've emailed the Commish saying politely that I think at the very least a vote is in order, although I believe a vote will still work out against me. He has replied stating that he thinks 3 of the 10 teams in the league would leave if the keeper system stayed at 3 players. I had told him originally that replacement owners won't be hard to find, since I run a 12 man league in the exact same school that we both go to, and there are only 2 people who are owners in both of our leagues (myself included).

Here's what I need from ya'll. A list of arguments as to why this change should not be allowed. Especially reasons as to why it will hurt the league as a whole, and not just because it's what's best for my team. For example, I was thinking something along the lines of it stunting late season trading b/w teams out of the playoff picture. If they can only keep one free player, how can they trade off their aging veterans for young-future-studs who they may not be able to keep (or who it may not be worth it to keep if they have to give up a 1st round pick)?

Second of all, I was thinking the advantage to me wouldn't be that great since I have the last pick in every round of this year's draft. There is no snaking, so even if I get 3 stud keepers, the appropriate means to try and create more parity is by placing the teams, like mine, who are stacked and who finished high last year, at the end of the draft where they have to wait 10 picks each round before their own.

Any more thoughts are much appreciated!

Agree with the other guys... in a keeper format, you cannot make changes this year regardless of league vote (unless unanimous)... teams last year made decisions and strategized based on the rules in place. He should feel free to change them all he wants now for next year, but not this year.
Bloody Sox
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby onnestabe » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:10 am

It sounds like this is being done in direct response to LJ. He represents a huge advantage in keeper leagues for years to come, and I expect that we will see a lot of threads like this in the next few weeks where commisioners are changing keeper rules to even the playing field for owners that don't have LJ. And since there are more owners that don't have LJ than owners that do, the democratic solution won't work.

I think what you have to think about most is what the Commish wants for himself. Is he one of the people that are at a big disadvantage under the old keeper rules? If so, you are probably stuck, because he isn't going to have much interest in making it fair for you since fair for you is harder for him.

If he can't see that what he is doing is wrong, then you are probably stuck with the new rules. In that case, just beat them all anyway.

(I do think that having a non-serpentine draft puts you at too great of a disadvantage if you are only keeping two players)
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Argument you should use

Postby FrankScott » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:15 am

Bloody Sox: Here's your argument:

You're all in a game together, and you agreed to the rules at the beginning of the game. As a keeper league, you're still in the "middle of the game," i.e., the "game" goes on, it does not end. They made some bad trades with you that they are trying to reneg on--what kind of pride do these losers have?

If guys want to quit the league, let them. You may have trouble getting new owners to join, though. I wouldn't join a league where one owner already owned three top-5 RB's. Bottom line, I wouldn't want to be in a league with these losers. If you have to quit the league because of rule changes, just keep track of what your "real team" would have scored each week, and send the whole league emails indicating that you WON Again!

Then, find a more decent group of guys to get into a league with.
FrankScott
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby danleroi22 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:19 am

First of all... a draft that is not snaked is ridiculous. It puts all teams that are mid-round to worse at a huge disadvantage. This needs to change if anything...

Second, once a league constitution has been established with keeper rules, there should be no going back without complete consent of the league. In my opinion, a change in the constitution affecting keepers (especially between years), would take atleast 75% of all members agreeing to the changes, and even then the rules should not be enacted until the following year.

All extreme chanegs like this, should take at least a year to process. You have to bring into account the fact that owners made moves last year based on the original rules system, and a new system will screw up everybody (who played anywhere decent), because of those good moves. That's why, if a new rule is going to be put in place, it should not be placed until the 2007 season, and that way everyone understands change is coming and will be allowed to prepare for it.

As it stands now, everyone is getting an unfair deal.
Questions or Comments? Feel free to PM me.

I know that I've been given more than beyond measure.
danleroi22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby BeefSandwiches » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:19 am

First of all, I agree that the rule change should definitely be put to a vote and each side should be allowed to make an agrument for their cause (TIP: don't argue you want to keep the rules just because you have a good team - argue that you want to play in a keeper that allows you to build your team from year-to-year, which keeping one player doesn't really do).

Second of all, if the league does vote to change the rule, said rule should go into effect next year because owners in the league made roster moves to plan on keeping three players - you can't pull the rug out from under them with one month to go before the season. The rule should be announced before the draft as going into effect following this season - I am assuming a few draft picks would have been a little different last year if you were only keeping one player.

And last if the new rule is put into effect immediately, you should try and argue that the draft order is not based on last year because you are playing with a new set of rules - you should draw out of a hat or whatever to decide who picks when. Not a big deal, but if you can get this compromise then ;-D .

But if all of this fails, you'll just have to fall on your sword and decide if you want to stay in the league or not. Most likely if these guys are friends of yours, I would advise against not burning bridges over it.
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman."
- Homer J. Simpson
BeefSandwiches
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby 011472 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:16 am

But if all of this fails, you'll just have to fall on your sword and decide if you want to stay in the league or not. Most likely if these guys are friends of yours, I would advise against not burning bridges over it.[/quote]

Good point. With that in mind, I think you're getting jacked on the rule change. In a big way. Also, I've never heard of a draft that doesn't snake. That needs to change, and you could probably get a majority (or a least the bottom half) to support this.

If nothing works, just suck it up for the season, focus on your other leagues and bow out of this mess next year.

Good luck

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=239116
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Matthias » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:30 am

danleroi22 wrote:Second, once a league constitution has been established with keeper rules, there should be no going back without complete consent of the league. In my opinion, a change in the constitution affecting keepers (especially between years), would take atleast 75% of all members agreeing to the changes, and even then the rules should not be enacted until the following year.

Agree. A unanimous vote is desirable but not absolutely mandatory. A super-majority of 75% is about right. It's not quite the same as changing the rules mid-season, but it's close.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Football Talk