Return to Football Talk

Bennett To the Chiefs

Moderator: Football Moderators

Bennett To the Chiefs

Postby mutantseabass » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:08 am

Chiefs add Bennett to backfield via trade with Saints
Len Pasquarelli
8/2/2006

With the future of Priest Holmes still undetermined, the Kansas City Chiefs on Tuesday night acquired running back Michael Bennett from the New Orleans Saints for what is believed to be a future draft choice, ESPN.com has learned.

Paperwork must still be filed with the NFL office and the deal is contingent on Bennett passing a Chiefs-administered physical exam. That should not be a problem since Bennett was already in camp with the Saints and practicing.

The subject of considerable trade talk ever since the Saints chose Reggie Bush in the first round of the draft, Bennett will become the primary backup to starter Larry Johnson. The absence of Holmes, and the possibility that he might be forced to retire because of head and neck injuries sustained last season, left the Chiefs perilously thin at the position.

Several teams inquired about Bennett and, in the past week, the St. Louis Rams -- who will be without Marshall Faulk for all of the 2006 season -- offered the Saints a fourth-round pick in next year's draft. Bennett would have preferred being traded to the Rams, where Scott Linehan, his onetime offensive coordinator with the Minnesota Vikings, is the first-year head coach.

New Orleans officials told Bennett and his agent that they dealt him to Kansas City because they did not want to trade him to an NFC team. Other franchises that expressed an interest in Bennett in the last three months included Miami and Houston.

The Saints could have traded Bennett earlier, but held off until they could assess the recovery of starting tailback Deuce McAllister from 2005 knee surgery and until they got Bush under contract.

A former first-round draft choice and a onetime Pro Bowl performer, Bennett was signed by the Saints as an unrestricted free agent on March 17, at a time when New Orleans was seeking an established back and had no idea Bush would be available at No. 2 in the draft. Bennett signed a two-year, $3 million contract.

Before signing with the Saints, Bennett, 27, played all five previous seasons with the Vikings, who chose him in the first round of the 2001 draft. The former University of Wisconsin star was the draft's 27th overall selection that year, four spots after the Saints chose McAllister.

The speedy Bennett rushed for 1,296 yards and five touchdowns in '02, and became the first player in NFL history to produce runs of 60-plus yards in three straight games that year. Over the ensuing three seasons, however, Bennett totaled only 1,196 yards and five touchdowns. In 16 appearances in 2005, including six starts, he carried 126 times for 473 yards and three touchdowns.

For his career, Bennett has 713 carries for 3,174 yards and 12 touchdowns. He also has 126 receptions for 1,040 yards and five scores. Bennett has appeared in 64 games, starting 49.

http://sports.espn.go.com/

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:15 am

He'll be worth stashing in case LJ goes down, but honestly I doubt he sees much of the field this year.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby BrutallyHuge » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:26 am

knapplc wrote:He'll be worth stashing in case LJ goes down, but honestly I doubt he sees much of the field this year.

Ehh...he might get in on obvious passing downs...like after the makeshift KC line gets a few holding calls in a row.

I'm pretty sure he's a better receiving RB right now than LJ.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby drmoses » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:46 am

HANDCUFF!!!
Steve Young is Jesus...
drmoses
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 11)

Postby biju » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:02 am

I'm definitely interested in having him around as long as he falls far enough. Any RB can get hurt and LJ hasn't had the full load before (although I don't anticipate any problems because of this). His running style is brutal too.

Bennett would be a nice option for the Chiefs if LJ had problems and he certainly has the speed.

If I can grab him in the late rounds I certainly will.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Cover 2 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:27 pm

I was really hoping you were talking about Drew Bennett
Cover 2
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:29 pm

Knock Dee Brown down a spot on their roster. Also speaks volumes about Priest Holmes' chances of returning.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The Lung » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:07 pm

Thank goodness.

The thought of Dee Brown or Quentin Griffin having fantasy relevancy was bothersome. :-D
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby monkey69 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:24 pm

Ex-Viking running backs are in demand - to be backups.

Bennett traded by New Orleans to be the Chief's backup.

KFFL just reported that since the St. Louis Rams missed out on their man - they have picked up the uber-present Moe Williams!
monkey69
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Crippler » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:31 pm

Is he worth picking up as a handcuff for LJ? Nobody in my league is jumping on him but my team is pretty stacked and I'd have to give up someone like Ron Dayne or Meshawn to get him. I'm high on Meshawn because of Smith's hammy.

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)