The difference between injury-prone and unlucky. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The difference between injury-prone and unlucky.

Moderator: Football Moderators

The difference between injury-prone and unlucky.

Postby poopscoop » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:28 pm

I found this to be an interesting read: Is DeShaun Foster “Injury-prone”?

The answer lies in the nature of his injuries. In 2002, Foster injured his knee during a pre-season game, and missed the rest of the season. In 2004, he broke his clavicle early in the season and missed the remainder of the season. And in 2005, he broke his right fibula and missed a large part of the season. Wow! Three of his first four seasons in the NFL ended on the IR, and I don’t think he’s injury-prone?! It does sound pretty ridiculous, I suppose. But I maintain that Foster is simply unfortunate to have sustained 2 (maybe all 3) freak injuries early in each season. The term injury-prone implies that there is something about the player’s physique, style, or circumstances that makes him predisposed to sustaining injuries

What do you think?
poopscoop
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: The difference between injury-prone and unlucky.

Postby Flux » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:34 pm

poopscoop wrote:I found this to be an interesting read: Is DeShaun Foster “Injury-prone”?

The answer lies in the nature of his injuries. In 2002, Foster injured his knee during a pre-season game, and missed the rest of the season. In 2004, he broke his clavicle early in the season and missed the remainder of the season. And in 2005, he broke his right fibula and missed a large part of the season. Wow! Three of his first four seasons in the NFL ended on the IR, and I don’t think he’s injury-prone?! It does sound pretty ridiculous, I suppose. But I maintain that Foster is simply unfortunate to have sustained 2 (maybe all 3) freak injuries early in each season. The term injury-prone implies that there is something about the player’s physique, style, or circumstances that makes him predisposed to sustaining injuries

What do you think?

The fact that they are early in the season makes me think he is injury-prone, his body just cant take a full season of beatings.

I think often times people claim players are injury-prone when they are not, but the whole DeShaun situation is one i would personally not touch.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby cardiac cats » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:08 pm

I think the whole carolina RB situation is flying a little under the radar. Regardless of who's running, good numbers should be put up- just check stats for the last couple of years. Now we obviously trust Foster or we wouldn't have given him a new contract, but in worst case, we still have DeAngelo to step right in. I liken it to the priest/ johnson situation of last year but with a 2nd tier guy instead. Pick up Foster this year in the 4th/ 5th round(whatever round he's usually taken) then scoop up DeAngelo a little bit later, no biggie. You certainly could do worse with your 2nd RB. Not to mention our offense is even better with the addition of keyshawn, so more opportunities for everyone.... Spoken like a true homer ;-D
cardiac cats
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby mrblitz » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:09 pm

I liken Foster to Correll Buckhalter. I think both are just unlucky to be injury prone.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Re: The difference between injury-prone and unlucky.

Postby biju » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:13 pm

poopscoop wrote:I found this to be an interesting read: Is DeShaun Foster “Injury-prone”?

What do you think?

To me, his "style" is by far the most important factor here. Honestly, the article is right in saying he's not necessarily the definition of "injury prone". I tend to think of guys that constantly have strained hamstrings or any sort of pulled muscle as more injury prone than guys who break bones.

That said, I think DeShaun's style might be the influence here. Put another way, I think something can be said about Shaun Alexander's style about dodging out of bounds and why he's been healthy for as long as he's been in the league. If Foster did a little more of this you might see him actually play in the playoffs this year.

I'm personally going to stay away from him this year unless he falls far in my draft.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby SniperShot » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:35 pm

cardiac cats wrote:I think the whole carolina RB situation is flying a little under the radar. Regardless of who's running, good numbers should be put up
This is very true and reminds me of a Nick Goings godsend a couple years back...
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby mystykoekaki » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:44 pm

Call me crazy but it always seems that Carolina's RB are all getting injuries. Davis, Foster, and others. I just think that there running those players into the ground to be quite honest.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Verdun Barbarians » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:28 pm

mystykoekaki wrote:Call me crazy but it always seems that Carolina's RB are all getting injuries. Davis, Foster, and others. I just think that there running those players into the ground to be quite honest.

I was thinking along the same line. It brought me back memories of Tshimanga Biakabutuka (aka Touchdown Tim for Michigan fans). He was great. Big, fast, powerfull... But managed to play only 50 games in 6 seasons.
Verdun Barbarians
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby cardiac cats » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:35 pm

That's ludicrous to say we've ran "insert players name here" into the ground... maybe we are just unlucky. But I'll definitely take a chance on Foster this year if he falls to me, you can't ignore his upside and potential(when and IF healthy).
cardiac cats
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby maddog60 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:46 pm

Foster as a 3rd RB, sure I might take a chance, but he is one of the few injury prone guys.

Kellen Winslow = not injury prone
Fred Taylor = injury prone

There are freak injuries, which most major injuries are, but some guys manage to get freak injuries consistently, and that as far as any FF owner is concerned is still an injury prone player.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Return to Football Talk