Not So Fast, Pennington Mislabeled As Starter - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Not So Fast, Pennington Mislabeled As Starter

Moderator: Football Moderators

Not So Fast, Pennington Mislabeled As Starter

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:57 pm

Earlier reports today stated that Chad had won the starting job in New York. Not so fast...(not that anyone outside of NY cares either)

Cheer up Patrick Ramsey, Kellen Clemens and Brooks Bollinger. The Jets' starting quarterback job could still be yours after all.

A source with knowledge of the situation told ESPN that a Newark Star-Ledger report that Chad Pennington had won New York's starting quarterback job was incorrect.

The source told ESPN that no decision has been made yet about who would start against Tennessee in the season opener.

The Newark Star-Ledger, citing a team official with knowledge of the Jets' plans, reported Wednesday that Pennington had won New York's starting job.

New coach Eric Mangini began training camp with a four-way competition for the job, with Pennington competing against Ramsey, Clemens and Bollinger.

"We're surprised at the progress he's made," the official told the newspaper. "No one expected him to be this far along this early." The official told the Star-Ledger that Pennington surprised the organization with his arm strength and accuracy early on in camp.

Pennington was far from crisp when the Jets opened camp, but has made progress each day.

"I have been really happy with Chad's progress," Mangini told reporters Tuesday. "He has strung together some good practices."

Ramsey, the former Redskins starter, was acquired by the Jets in an offseason trade. Clemens, a rookie second-round pick out of Oregon, has the strongest arm of the bunch. Bollinger started when Pennington went down last season, but had a remote chance of winning the job.

After getting a $64 million deal as the franchise quarterback in 2004, nothing has gone right for Pennington. Once hailed as the face of the franchise, this could be his final season in a Jets uniform if he fails to win the starting job.

He initially tore his right rotator cuff during the 2004 season but played through it, and ended up having surgery in early 2005. But it is now apparent the Jets rushed him back so he could be ready for the start of last season. He only had six months between his surgery and the start of camp.

Pennington hurt his rotator cuff again in the third week of the season, and questions were asked about his durability.

Still, the seven-year veteran restructured his contract in the offseason to make it more salary-cap friendly in the hopes of getting his job back.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Daddymike59 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:05 pm

Penny has more to lose than anyone in this situation. I saw an interview on Monday on ESPN with Penny and Ramsey and both said that Mangini was adamant about it being an open competition. I think it's still a 2 horse race though.

Props to Leber for the nice artwork!
Daddymike59
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Flux » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:05 pm

I see no reason why they would announce someone at this point, still a lot of time left before the season
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mrblitz » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:11 pm

I think Pennington will start the season, but be replaced by not Ramsey, but Clemens. I think Chad will get hurt again, and I think Ramsey will also get hurt early. Leaving Clemens to play the season, starting in week 7 . JMO

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Daddymike59 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:17 pm

mrblitz wrote:I think Pennington will start the season, but be replaced by not Ramsey, but Clemens. I think Chad will get hurt again, and I think Ramsey will also get hurt early. Leaving Clemens to play the season, starting in week 7 . JMO

I don't know much about Clemens but what about Bollinger?

Props to Leber for the nice artwork!
Daddymike59
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:22 pm

Not that anyone could really impress given their offensive woes, but Bollinger looked decent when he was handed the reigns. Outside of a four intereception game against Carolina, his numbers aren't all that bad, considering. Still, his skill set doesn't suggest that he has starting material.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mystykoekaki » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:26 pm

Seriously who cares who starts in NY? It isn't like the fantasy world is itching at finding who it is so they can pick that QB up.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SniperShot » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:33 pm

I'd love to see Ramsey play.

But yeah Jets QB could be a joke this year.

I just hope whoever it is can throw Coles the ball. Ramsey starting would increase Coles' value in my book. They hooked up more than a couple times back when they were with Washington. Of course Pennington and Coles were hooking up even before that, in 2002. But Pennington just can't stay healthy enough to win games. By week 6 when the Jets are making their QB changes they are already out of the playoff hunt.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Vixtor » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:42 pm

Unless Pennington is damaged so badly that he can barely throw a decent pass I think he will be able to win this job pretty easily. Still, the Jets QB situation isn't even radar worthy in fantasy football. Ramsey is a bum and so is Bollinger. Clemens can't possibly be ready.
The facts have no meaning.
Vixtor
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby maddog60 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:02 pm

People are drafting Pennington?!? I would take most backup QBs before him. I don't care if he is the starter, the guy's shoulder is mush, I won't touch him.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk