1 Defense or 2? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

1 Defense or 2?

Moderator: Football Moderators

1 Defense or 2?

Postby RJ24VC15 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:05 pm

Obviously if you have the Bears defense you are not going to drop them for the bye week. My question is if you have a good defense that you would not drop for a bye week, do you hold onto a backup defense all season, or do you wait untill your defense has a bye and then drop up a position player for a defense?

I am keeping 2 defenses this year. I have Washington and Miami, and I will use them based on matchups. I will probably drop one when I need another TE.
RJ24VC15
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kilroy » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:16 pm

The only reasons I can see to keep 2 Defenses:

1.) The bye week for an "every week" defense. (like Chicago)

2.) A very deep league where WW options are slim.

3.) Transaction fees make "revolving" Defenses too expensive.

Otherwise Keeping two defenses is wasting a roster spot. There are just too many decent options on the WW from week-to week, and you can play matchups. (Plindsey88's Defensive Rankings are a great tool for doing this.)

My $.02.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby mutantseabass » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:24 pm

I rarely keep a D more then one week. I have had more success playing the matchups. People seem to overspend on the Bears, Ravens, Steelers Ds. I will grab one with my last pick soley on matchups for the first week of the season.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mrblitz » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:56 pm

Plain and simple, in most leagues, it's a rule of thumb. Keep 1 def, having 2 is a wasted roster space. IMO

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Goozik » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:04 pm

I got CHI defense and plan to just pick up another defense come thier bye week. I personally prefer the one top DEF route cause it allows more room to take risks other places. It's allowing me to hold onto D.Rhodes,C.Benson & R.Dayne in addition to C.Portis and S.Jackson. If I had two DEF I'd have to lose one of my backups and for me that would be a tough decision.

Not sure you can really overspend on a defense unless you take it first round.
From last year off Standard scoreing, the top two defenses had 200 and 195 points. There were 6 other teams above 150 with only one above 170. Takeing one of the last DEF avilable would have gotten you 75-100 points less. That's a few losses over the course of the season because of your DEF.

As for haveing two DEF all year, I would probley go with one team that's solid in pass DEF and one in run DEF then play them accordingly.
Goozik
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Juke » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:27 pm

I say 2.
Juke
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Child_of_God_08 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:56 pm

I normally take 1, but it would depend on what defense it is. If I have a D like Chicago, I'd take two.
FFC Battle Record: 0-1
Child_of_God_08
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Crippler » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:27 pm

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 !

One of the stupidest things I see people doing in drafts is wasting a second pick on a defense. You could be getting a valuable player with some upside, but instead you take a defense that will probably be benched most weeks, AND could probably be picked up from waivers at any time? Pick a DEF very late in the draft and switch them for whatever waiver team has a good matchup or is heating up. Dont waste that late round pick!

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 17)

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:29 pm

DO NOT waste a roster spot with a second defense. I dont care what defense you have. They vary so much from week to week its best to rotate your defense anyway.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Infidel » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:23 pm

For years's I made a living picking up whatever D played AZ. There is always a D that comes out of the woodwork that you can pick up off the WW. Last year I got Da Berz, year before Bills. Both ended up leading my main league in scoring. Pick one late and watch the WW.
CheeseWhiz is a great substitute for plazma.
Infidel
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk