How many times have we heard it before? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How many times have we heard it before?

Moderator: Football Moderators

How many times have we heard it before?

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:53 am

ive heard that Len Pasquarelli from ESPN has said that michael vick is poised for a huge year...

if i had a quarter for the number of people have said that, my teeth would be rotted from all the gumballs i would buy. seriously, when are these guys gonna figure out that vick might not have it made in the NFL? :-?
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Crippler » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:06 am

Ugh, I think these guys just want to be the one who said 'I told you so' when they claim vick will break out 5 or 10 years in a row and he finally does. I dont see Vick becoming anything more than we see now, a great distraction while he is mobile, but as soon as any part of his legs gives way he's a very sub-par QB.

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 17)

Postby Vixtor » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:24 am

Vick isn't bad right now anyways. I mean he's nowhere near the level of an elite quarterback but I'll take him over half the starters in the league. So I don't know what you mean 'might not have it made' for the NFL. That's clearly false. He's a legendary figure already in a sense and probably the most entertaining player to watch. Maybe he will never be the complete package. That doesn't change the fact that I'd rather see him play than just about anybody.
The facts have no meaning.
Vixtor
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:30 am

Vixtor wrote:Vick isn't bad right now anyways. I mean he's nowhere near the level of an elite quarterback but I'll take him over half the starters in the league. So I don't know what you mean 'might not have it made' for the NFL. That's clearly false. He's a legendary figure already in a sense and probably the most entertaining player to watch. Maybe he will never be the complete package. That doesn't change the fact that I'd rather see him play than just about anybody.

there's a huge difference between a great player and a great player to watch. the fact that vick has yet to:

1. Throw for more than 16 TDs,
2. Throw for more than 3000 yards, and
3. Have a QB rating higher than 82

is pretty showing. people have to understand that just because a QB can make fancy plays with his feet doesnt mean he is an elite QB; quarterbacks are supposed to be best at throwing the ball, not running it; running backs are used for that.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Vixtor » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:42 am

steelerfan513 wrote:there's a huge difference between a great player and a great player to watch.

Usually the two are one in the same. Vick isn't a great player though, I agree. The weird thing about Vick is that his best season by far was his 2nd year under Reeves. Since then he's gotten worse each season. I'm not sure Jim Mora and company are utilizing him in the most efficient matter.
The facts have no meaning.
Vixtor
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby wetbeaverlover » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:52 am

There is a big difference between a running back who can throw the ball and a quarterback that can run the ball. Falcons could use porter and/or lelie. When the number one receiver on a team is undrafted or drafted after round 8 in almost all drafts its not saying much for the quarterback now is it?
If your parents weren't able to have children... chances are neither will you.
wetbeaverlover
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Atog » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:55 am

I agree that Vick is an overrated player but people tend to overoverrate him (that's an awesome word to use), especially in leagues that don't take away points for INTs. The injury risk is there, but the truth is that passing numbers excluded, he can average around 40 yards/game. What's interesting is that this past season, 5 of his 6 rushing TDs came when he rushed for under 40 yards. When you factor passing into that, I think that he's too good to pass up.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby a4ce » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:21 am

Even in the $$$ league that I play in where points are doubled if gotten "out of position", Vick is not an elite or even a good QB. EX: If Vick RAN for 10 yards, you get 2 points versus 1 point for a RB that ran 10 yards.

I would have to wait till the late late rounds before taking a flier on him.
Cash Money Brothers! - PPR
QB: Romo and Luck
RB: Shady, Spiller, Sproles, Joique, Giovani, Miller, and Le'veon (IR)
WR: AJ Green, Wayne, Bowe, Thompkins, and Gordon (IR)
TE: Witten
K: Prater
D/ST: 'Hawks
Start QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K and D/ST
a4ce
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 6)

Re: How many times have we heard it before?

Postby johnpax » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:29 am

steelerfan513 wrote:ive heard that Len Pasquarelli from ESPN has said that michael vick is poised for a huge year...

if i had a quarter for the number of people have said that, my teeth would be rotted from all the gumballs i would buy. seriously, when are these guys gonna figure out that vick might not have it made in the NFL? :-?

have it made in the nfl. hahahaha

Yeah Rich Mckay is the biggest moron in the NFL, giving a questionable starting QB 110 million. It's so obvious he hasn't made it yet.

ahahaha

You're a FF nerd. You can't get away from the stats. Which is funny, because stats actually back up Vick. The guy W-I-N-S. You know, those things called G-A-M-E-S.

you think any falcons fans care about him throwing for 3500 yards? hell no. go list me the top 10 problems with the falcons. vick isn't on the list.

the D can't stop the run. game over. the D has killed the falcons. Vicks offense puts up points. No one worries about that. It's the defense that's the problem. they're small, they get worn down, and they cant stop the rush.

and as for Vicks passing. The falcons are partly to blame. Wonder why Vick had his best year as a starter his first year? Reeves had tons of experience with Elway, and was bringing Vick along perfectly. He was playing to his strength, vertical passing. Then he gets fired, and we get this WCO offense junk. Incase you haven't noticed, a 5 yard out throw isn't vicks strength. there's no room for the WR to adjust. When you use his arm strength, the WR can adjust to the ball.

Also notice how white/jenkins are stretch the filed/vertical WRs. pretty bad fit for the WCO huh? even knapp said he tried to force vick in the pocket too much. vick is on his 3rd qb coach. 2nd offense. 2 WRs who wouldn't start for 90% of the nfl. oline that sucks at pass blocking.

knapp didn't get the job because he was a good fit for vick. he was mora's buddy. all he knows is wco, so they installed that. its a horrible mismatch for vicks skill set.

ever wonder why plummer rolls out more then vick? go watch plummer play. they move him out of the pocket all the time. you'd think with a more mobile qb, they'd do more of that? wrong. knapp admitted his mistake in the usa today article last week.

funny how vick has won playoffs games, gone to nfl title games, throws for a higher % then eli manning, but vick is still t he problem. you realize delhomme threw 15 for 35 and 3 ints in the playoff loss? no one seems to care about delhomme leading the panthers to a superbowl.

vick is not the problem. no one wants him to throw for 4000 yards. no one cares if he throws for 60% (which mcnabb has done once, only when he had TO, funny how good wrs help a qb). only ff nerds worry about vicks passing stats. no one in the real world worry. vicks offense will score points. he can score enough to get them to the nfc title game. he will score enough this year.

wonder why the falcons have 3 new secondary starters? brought in new dline? the d was garbage. falcon d made gado look like walter payton.

and i love your "never threw for 3000 yards". are you dumb? in his first year as a starter he threw for 2936 yards. then they fired reeves, put in a new offense, new oc, new qb coach, and he's never been the same since. and the never thrown for 16 tds. wow he's throw for 15. lol nice stats buddy. good job findind his career highs, and taking one off. rofl. you didn't mention his winning percentage? how about the falcons are 3-13 without him. funny how falcons were 2-10, he comes back, he single handedly beats the panthers (who go to the sb that year) and goes 3-1. funny how a team can be 2-10 without and 3-1 with (beating the nfc champ). weird huh?

and you should tell steve young running backs are for running. oh and john elway. good arguments. lol. stick to ff nerd. don't ever talk about real football again.
johnpax
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Hrock » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:45 am

Vick is a tremendous athelete.....but way overhyped because of it. It's the same hyp that surounded Kordell Stewart in his early years.....once vick loses his legs he just another clone of Kordell.
Georges "RUSH" St.Pierre
Hrock
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 10)

Next

Return to Football Talk