How many times have we heard it before? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How many times have we heard it before?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Azrael » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:48 am

I thought this was going to be a K-Rob breaks out this year thread.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ampant » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:51 am

Jonpax, I think you are off base. Vick is not a great QB. He is a great athlete, but he is a below average passer. One of the primary functions of a QB is to pass the ball.

The problem with a QB that relies on the run as much as he does, is that he'll gets hurt taking hits. A QB isn't built to take the sort of punishment that RBs take, and the chance of developing injuries/ailments in his lower body is much greater. Every time he takes off past the line of scrimmage, he becomes a running back. He puts the hopes of his franchise at risk if he gets knocked out for the season.

Your elite RB averages a much shorter career than your elite QB. The more your QB plays like an RB, the more likely he is to shorten his career.
Last edited by ampant on Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby ejwild » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:56 am

We don't have any wierd rules or anything....10 yds rushing = 1 pt...and in that system, Vick was the 7th highest QB last year.

I still don't see why people aren't commenting on this?

How can you say he is a backup fatasy QB with numbers like that!?!?!?!?
It's a great day to play Football.
ejwild
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby houstonherdfan » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:17 pm

ejwild wrote:We don't have any wierd rules or anything....10 yds rushing = 1 pt...and in that system, Vick was the 7th highest QB last year.

I still don't see why people aren't commenting on this?

How can you say he is a backup fatasy QB with numbers like that!?!?!?!?

One reason. The post above yours pointed it out.

INJURY RISK!!!!!
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Flux » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:18 pm

In the drafts I have been in, Vick has been going in the appropriate spot, for the first time ever.

He is in the 10-15 QB range, and he does have more potential than others to breakout a huge season. Will it happen? Probably not, but thats not a bad gambe if he is the last "starting" QB taken in your draft or an early backup.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:19 pm

wetbeaverlover wrote:There is a big difference between a running back who can throw the ball and a quarterback that can run the ball. Falcons could use porter and/or lelie. When the number one receiver on a team is undrafted or drafted after round 8 in almost all drafts its not saying much for the quarterback now is it?

if im not mistaken, i believe that both white and jenkins were first round picks.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby rustyk » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:31 pm

Not to mention they brought in Peerless Price after he played well opposite Moulds with the Bills only to see Vicks inability to get him the ball
rustyk
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby 011472 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:31 pm

Vick is a much better nfl quarterback then a fantasy quarterback. He's a winner, which is all that matters in the real world, but his numbers don't add up so well for us.

Until I see a receiver in the ATL do anything but disappoint I'm staying away from Vick.
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:32 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:
wetbeaverlover wrote:There is a big difference between a running back who can throw the ball and a quarterback that can run the ball. Falcons could use porter and/or lelie. When the number one receiver on a team is undrafted or drafted after round 8 in almost all drafts its not saying much for the quarterback now is it?

if im not mistaken, i believe that both white and jenkins were first round picks.

They were both 1st round picks. Jenkins 1st round 2004 Draft, 29th overall. White 1st round 2006 Draft, 27th overall pick.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby thelimey » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:47 pm

I think in the right scoring system Vick can be a starting fantasy qb.

Leagues with 4 pt / pass td, 6 pt / rsh td and -2 / INT, give him a real edge due to his high no of rushing td's and low INT's. In that scoring system he finished as follows:
2005, No 5
2004, no 12
2002, no 3

However if you change passing td's to 6 pts he comes out a bit worse:
2005, no 9
2004, no 12
2002, no 3

Interestingly the standard deviation of his game scores compared favorably to the other qbs in the 6-12 tier. I know it's pretty fashionable to knock the guy and he may be overated but he can certainly be an effective starting qb in several formats. My biggest concern with him is that he runs less and throws more, he'll never be a great passer but at the moment he's a good double threat. Remember that in most leagues 10 rsh yds = 25 pa yds, so his usual 2500 pa yds + 600 rsh yds is the equivalent of 4000 pa yds.
thelimey
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk