Is Buckhalter going to be stealing Westys tds? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is Buckhalter going to be stealing Westys tds?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby maddog60 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:08 pm

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:The Eagles will bring in somebody to "steal" Westy's goalline carries. However, I don't know how many carries that RB will even get down at the goal-line. Reid LOVES play-action down there, to a fault.

Why? He can just call a pass, dump Westbrook into the flat, having LJ some across the middle, send the WRs into the endzone, and if nothing develops McNabb makes a better goal line RB than anyone they could get now.

If the Eagles wanted to bring in a goalline guy, they would've pursued Najeh Davenport or drafted a guy one of the many late round bigger RBs available (Humes, Bell), or even signed Anthony Thomas (hey, he'd make a better short yardage RB than Levens at this point). But they didnt, because they've never really relied on one. Personally I wish they would acquire one, but after 6 years, I doubt Reid will change that part of his offensive philosophy.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Guru13 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:45 pm

aww come on, don't tell me moats is hurt, I just grabbed him in teh 8th round hoping for a little production.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby mrblitz » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:46 pm

I'm not sure how they are going to use Correll and Moats yet. But I know they are both impressing at camp so far.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby deluxe_247 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:37 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:aww come on, don't tell me moats is hurt, I just grabbed him in teh 8th round hoping for a little production.

did i miss something? where was this? :-?
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thriftyrocker » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:16 pm

Philly isn't expecting much from Buckhalter. Local TV said he might have been taken off the PUP just so they could cut him.

Moats has a sprained knee and missed a couple days of practice. Nothing too bad.

Perry and Tapeh are two other candidates for taking short yardage. Should be lots of bootlegs, and passes to Westy and the 1st and 2nd TE though.
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby MrTwo94 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:46 am

Kilroy1872 wrote:Buckhalter's a non-factor. Period.

This is one of a few ignorant approaches to this problem in this thread. Buckhalter has been very effective when healthy and there have been positive reports about him from the coaches so far. To ignore his impact on Westbrook's value can be viewed as nothing more than stupid. Sure, he's an injury risk but as long as he's not injured he should be discussed. Westbrook himself is an injury risk. Should we just forget about him? Either way, I'm avoiding Westbrook. I'd rather have Kevin Jones. I don't think Westy will see his first 200 carry season this year. If it is true that Buckhalter is being cut, that's one thing, but I have read quite a bit about it and haven't seen anything like that. Until I read something along those lines I'm not going to ignore his impact.
MrTwo94
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby My team is injured » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:07 am

MrTwo94 wrote:
Kilroy1872 wrote:Buckhalter's a non-factor. Period.

This is one of a few ignorant approaches to this problem in this thread. Buckhalter has been very effective when healthy and there have been positive reports about him from the coaches so far. To ignore his impact on Westbrook's value can be viewed as nothing more than stupid. Sure, he's an injury risk but as long as he's not injured he should be discussed. Westbrook himself is an injury risk. Should we just forget about him? Either way, I'm avoiding Westbrook. I'd rather have Kevin Jones. I don't think Westy will see his first 200 carry season this year. If it is true that Buckhalter is being cut, that's one thing, but I have read quite a bit about it and haven't seen anything like that. Until I read something along those lines I'm not going to ignore his impact.

comparing westbrook's injury past to buck's is apples and oranges... buck has had season-ending knee surgery before taking a regular season snap in 3 of the past 4 seasons... IMO, he had little chance to have much of an impact last year and that was before he reinjured his knee last preseason..

best case scenario for him now is to make the team as the 4th RB if the eagles choose to carry 4 in the backfield along with a FB... he's behind westy, moats, and perry and I expect him to remain so even if healthy... with perry having return abilities, the eagles might carry 4 RBs if buck shows enough in the preseason but I don't expect it to happen..
All of my analysis is based on PPR
My team is injured
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Blackjack ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby MrTwo94 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:27 am

Say what you will, but it is ignorant to write a guy like him off this early. He is 27 and seems to have quite a drive to keep playing. Philly hasn't kept him around this long just to cut him. At the very least, it is something to keep an eye on.

As for your apples and oranges, you are sort of correct. Buckhalter has suffered severe season ending injuries. Westbrook just gets constantly nicked up and misses time. Very different scenarios, true, but which one poses more of a problem? IF Buckhalter doesn't tear his knee apart again, he'll probably be around the whole season. Westbrook is almost guaranteed to miss a few games. When we're calculating Westbrook's value, both situations are bad. He'll most likely miss time AND have a guy stealing his TD's for the games he doesn't miss.
MrTwo94
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby ampant » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:51 am

MrTwo94 wrote:IF Buckhalter doesn't tear his knee apart again, he'll probably be around the whole season.
This makes no sense. He has had catastrophic injuries already in three out of four seasons. Why on earth would you argue that if he somehow WERE to make it through the preseason, that he would last a full 16 game schedule (which is much more punishing than the preseason load that has been kickin his arse thus far)?

It's like arguing that a guy would probably go undefeated if he could only get past that darned Buster Douglas. Do you think it's LESS likely to happen this season? Because injuring your knees usually makes them soooo much stronger?

Sure, Buckhalter COULD be a minor factor (not enough to ever draft him). But really it's less about Buckhalter, and more about the fact that we know Westy isn't a goal-line back. It doesn't matter whether it's Buckhalter or Moats, but somebody will be vulturing short yardage TDs. That (along with doubts about his ability to play 16 games) is why Westy ain't a 1st rounder. Personally, I probably wouldn't consider taking him until the 3rd.
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby eaglesrule » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:30 am

well its ignorant to bring up buckhalter's talent. Eagles fans know that he is good, but part of being good is staying helathy, and he can't do it. And Reid never loved him anyway, eversice his time smoking dope on south street during trianing camp.

Buck could be good, and could be a factor. But when 75 percent of recent injury is on the injured list, I think Its perfectly rational to write him off.

I will say, we don't know what reid will do at the goal line. I don't summarily think west shouldn't get those touches, but he certainly won't get all of them. I think reid thinks he "found his back" by shoring up the Oline. There are some real bruisers there. I'm not saying I agree, but with a revamped o-line, a slimmed won donovan and westbrook. I think we will see wetbrook get some of them, donovan take some himself, playaction, and maybe moats or bruce perry get the rest.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk