Is Buckhalter going to be stealing Westys tds? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Is Buckhalter going to be stealing Westys tds?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby ampant » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:52 am

eaglesrule wrote:I will say, we don't know what reid will do at the goal line. I don't summarily think west shouldn't get those touches, but he certainly won't get all of them. I think reid thinks he "found his back" by shoring up the Oline. There are some real bruisers there. I'm not saying I agree, but with a revamped o-line, a slimmed won donovan and westbrook. I think we will see wetbrook get some of them, donovan take some himself, playaction, and maybe moats or bruce perry get the rest.


Good post. I love how MrTwo jumps right on this thread and calls everyone ignorant (1st time I've seen that ;-7 ), when obviously he is ignorant of the important facts. 1) Buckhalter spends most of his time with catastrophic injuries. 2) Buckhalter is behind Westy, Moats and Perry on the depth chart. 3) There has been talk about cutting him from the team, and he's not Reids favorite.

Apparently, all of that is negated by the fact that Buck is 27, and that he "seems to have to have quite a drive to keep playing." Really? A professional football player has a drive to play? Whoa. Most guys become an NFL player by accident! We should definitely not write him off!
Last edited by ampant on Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4938
(Past Year: 16)
Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: All stressed up with no place to go

Postby maddog60 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:32 am

MrTwo94 wrote:
Kilroy1872 wrote:Buckhalter's a non-factor. Period.


This is one of a few ignorant approaches to this problem in this thread.


No, its the most factual approach to this thread. I've seen every game Buckhalter has played, including pre-season one, and every game he hasn't. The guy has heart, probably more than you think he does MrTwo, but the simple fact is Fred Taylor is a pillar of health compared to Buckhalter.

Buckhalter has had two season-ending injuries in the period of 3 years. These weren't just season enders, these are injuries that potentially end a career. The Eagles, despite Buck's talent, did not tender him to anything costly at all when he became a Restricted free agent, and if they had any hope for him playing for them, they sure would've signed him to an extension.

With Moats tearing it up last year behind a line composed of 2 starters, and 3 2nd stringers, with a QB that couldn't threaten a highschool squad, you think Buckhalter is a factor. When the news reports suggest that the only reason he's been taken off the PUP list is so the team can cut him, you think word out of training camp is positive about him?

Buckhalter won't make the roster. When by injury or getting cut, he simply wont make it. He is a non-factor.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 9758
Joined: 18 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby eaglesrule » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:25 pm

right on dog.

I forgot to add that the probably most realistic scenario is two TE sets with LJ as well. They have options for real life fantasy will be tough to predict to the point of not chasing it. And say what you will about Reid, I think he understands the need to make your big gambit for the TD (with his personnel) at 35 yards and approaching. that's where the team has talent that is harder to defend. And in general its kind of easier anyway, since the D has more field to worry about.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2843
Joined: 3 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby MrTwo94 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:06 pm

ampant wrote:
MrTwo94 wrote:IF Buckhalter doesn't tear his knee apart again, he'll probably be around the whole season.
This makes no sense. He has had catastrophic injuries already in three out of four seasons. Why on earth would you argue that if he somehow WERE to make it through the preseason, that he would last a full 16 game schedule (which is much more punishing than the preseason load that has been kickin his arse thus far)?

It's like arguing that a guy would probably go undefeated if he could only get past that darned Buster Douglas. Do you think it's LESS likely to happen this season? Because injuring your knees usually makes them soooo much stronger?

Sure, Buckhalter COULD be a minor factor (not enough to ever draft him). But really it's less about Buckhalter, and more about the fact that we know Westy isn't a goal-line back. It doesn't matter whether it's Buckhalter or Moats, but somebody will be vulturing short yardage TDs. That (along with doubts about his ability to play 16 games) is why Westy ain't a 1st rounder. Personally, I probably wouldn't consider taking him until the 3rd.


Why do you even post? Please try to follow along. I'm saying he doesn't appear to get nicked up. He just seems to have had a couple catastrophic injuries. It is impossible to predict these. Everyone here seems to be working under the assumption that he's definitely going to have another one. So following along w/your stupid analogy, let's go ahead and say that a guy will go undefeated if he doesn't have to fight Buster Douglas this year. There is only a 20% chance he has to face Buster Douglas. Are you going to bet against the guy going undefeated? Buck has had a bad run of luck. Maybe he is just a glass man and he'll get hurt again, but I'm not going to just assume it to be fact like all these other guys.

I don't claim to know a lot about Buckhalter's history but I have been reading camp updates and some of the coaches are very impressed with his drive. Maybe he will get cut, but right now it is ignorant to assume he is a non-factor. That's all I'm really trying to say. If the coaches are down on him or if he's looking bad in camp, then you can say he's a non-factor. It just urks me when people say, he's a non-factor based strictly upon the fact that he has been injured in the past.
MrTwo94
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 329
Joined: 30 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Houston

Postby MrTwo94 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:15 pm

ampant wrote:
eaglesrule wrote:I will say, we don't know what reid will do at the goal line. I don't summarily think west shouldn't get those touches, but he certainly won't get all of them. I think reid thinks he "found his back" by shoring up the Oline. There are some real bruisers there. I'm not saying I agree, but with a revamped o-line, a slimmed won donovan and westbrook. I think we will see wetbrook get some of them, donovan take some himself, playaction, and maybe moats or bruce perry get the rest.


Good post. I love how MrTwo jumps right on this thread and calls everyone ignorant (1st time I've seen that ;-7 ), when obviously he is ignorant of the important facts. 1) Buckhalter spends most of his time with catastrophic injuries. 2) Buckhalter is behind Westy, Moats and Perry on the depth chart. 3) There has been talk about cutting him from the team, and he's not Reids favorite.

Apparently, all of that is negated by the fact that Buck is 27, and that he "seems to have to have quite a drive to keep playing." Really? A professional football player has a drive to play? Whoa. Most guys become an NFL player by accident! We should definitely not write him off!


HAHAHA, you are SO funny. I've seen more witty sarcasm from 6 year olds. Do you really think you are funny? Do you crack youself up while posting?

I obviously know about Buckhalter's injury history. And do you think Fason was #2 on the depth chart? That didn't stop him from stealing TD's. Buckhalter has shown the talent necessary to be in a RBBC with Westbrook. I remember drafting in 2004 when the two were going to split carries and he got hurt right before the season. Since he has a different running style, he doesn't need to be #2 on the depth chart to get on the field. They'll put him in when they need his type of running. I haven't read anything in the last week, but what I had read about him from the coaches was nothing but positive. When I said something about his drive to keep playing it was paraphrased from something one of the coaches had said about him.

And for the record, I didn't call everyone here ignorant. Just the people who say Buckhalter will be a non-factor without anything to back it up other than citing that he's been injured in the past.
MrTwo94
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 329
Joined: 30 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Houston

Postby ampant » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:38 pm

MrTwo94 wrote:Why do you even post?
Why do always act like such a wanker? In almost every post you write, you lead off with a denigrating comment "this is retarded," "this is ignorant," "nothing more than stupid," etc. Then you'll follow it up with some overblown argument based upon very little information.

MrTwo94 wrote:IF Buckhalter doesn't tear his knee apart again, he'll probably be around the whole season.


Then I come in, and point out that you are full of it. Then you backpeddle . . .

MrTwo94 wrote:I'm saying he doesn't appear to get nicked up. He just seems to have had a couple catastrophic injuries. It is impossible to predict these. Everyone here seems to be working under the assumption that he's definitely going to have another one.
That's NOT what you said in the previous quote. You made a specific claim, . . . that he would probably be around for the whole season. That is a stupid assertion . . . period.

Yes, injuries are impossible to predict, but when a guy has missed 75% of his NFL career with injury, it follows logically that he can safely be considered to have a much higher chance of becoming injured again. Joints are weakened by injury. He has had lots of serious joint injuries, therefore his joints have been seriously weakened. Couple that with the fact that he is struggling for a roster spot, and your assertion looks retarded, stupid, and ignorant.

Back to the topic at hand . . . like I said before, Buckhalter can be ignored as a factor because we already know somebody will be vulturing TDs. It doesn't matter if its Moats, Perry, Buckhalter, or your mom. Westy isn't going to lose anymore carries than he otherwise would, because Reid will call the same plays in the same situations regardless of whether Buckhalter is on the roster or not.

Oh. And remember this?

In another post, MrTwo94 wrote:I disagree about the spelling. I think it is definitely a reflection of intelligence to some extent.


MrTwo94 wrote:It just urks me when people say . . .


Do mean irk?

dictionary.com wrote:irk ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ûrk)
tr.v. irked, irk·ing, irks
To be irritating, wearisome, or vexing


Hmmmm . . . . that doesn't reflect well on your intelligence. Here's another definition which is more relevant.

dictionary.com wrote:hu·bris ( P ) Pronunciation Key (hybrs) also hy·bris (h-)
n.
Overbearing pride or presumption; arrogance:


I have seen you bring up good points before, but they are usually sprinkled with liberal amounts of BS flavored with a side of exaggeration, and and plenty of arrogance. It doesn't matter though, because there's a good chance that I'll own your sig when the year is up.
Image
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4938
(Past Year: 16)
Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: All stressed up with no place to go

Postby MrTwo94 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:13 pm

How much time do you have on your hands that you go looking up old threads to get quotes? Anyway, sorry for hitting the button next to the "i" but you got the gist of it. I did mean "irk".

Why do I start off with derogatory statements? Because I am reading these threads for useful information. I don't want to have to sort through people's random, unjustified feelings on subjects such as these. The guy who said he's read reports about Buckhalter being cut, now that's useful. Guys who just chime in for no apparent reason to say that he's been injured for 3 out of 5 seasons so he'll be a non-factor this year are the guys that kill me. Just because he's been hurt in the past doesn't mean he's a non-factor. If that's all you know about the subject then don't post. Just read what the people who know what they're talking about have to say about the subject. That's all I'm getting at here.

I don't see my statements as backpeddling. That was more of a reiteration. And it appears that you still can't read. I said if he doesn't tear his knee apart, he'll probably be around for the whole season. How many season ending knee injuries can one guy get? It is not a stupid assertion. To ignore his possible impact is stupid. At least wait until training camp plays out before we start writing the guy off. I really don't even care about the situation. I know I won't have Westbrook on my roster. I'd just like to see some good discussion on this topic rather than what I've seen in a few posts.

If you don't think spelling is a reflection of intelligence then maybe you'll think math is. Try this one. Buckhalter has missed 3 seasons and played in 2. What is the percentage of seasons he has missed? Ampant: 75%. Sorry. Correct answer was 60%.

Anyway, I do like the point about Westbrook already losing his goal line carries to someone. But he didn't take on a larger role until Buckhalter was injured in 2004. Now with Buckhalter possibly returning I don't see why he can't reclaim some of those carries if healthy.

P.S. I'm glad you haven't forgotten our bet yet. Here's another article you might enjoy: http://fftoday.com/articles/special/06_rb_heavy.htm Tiki is specifically mentioned in there.
MrTwo94
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 329
Joined: 30 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Houston

Postby maddog60 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:02 pm

MrTwo94 wrote:I'd just like to see some good discussion on this topic rather than what I've seen in a few posts.


I think its pretty much a clear cut example of a double standard when you want a good discussion, and start your part of the discussion with a personal attack on another poster. Ad hominem arguments have no place in a serious discussion.

Yeah, that just gets everyone in the mood to debate the facts. :-t
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 9758
Joined: 18 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 22:15 hours
(and 41 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact