Tatum Bell to put up LJ Numbers! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Tatum Bell to put up LJ Numbers!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Tatum Bell to put up LJ Numbers!

Postby Kilroy » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:43 am

From Dave Richard, nfl.com Senior Fantasy Football Writer:

No matter what city you live in, you're familiar with the mystique that comes with being Denver's starting tailback. Since Terrell Davis burst on the scene in 1995, the Broncos have been known as a RB factory, churning out polished, productive runners behind an offensive line that always runs a terrific (but controversial) blocking scheme. Fantasy owners have always placed an extra sprinkle of value on the runner in Denver since they know about the reputation (and expectation) Broncos rushers carry coming into a season.

However, Denver's backfield heading into 2006 have made Fantasy owners a bit skeptical. That's because the two men competing for the starting job are former Heisman winner-turned-NFL bust Ron Dayne and former second-round pick Tatum Bell, who hasn't been a total disappointment but hasn't met expectations, either. Dayne is expected to land the starting job and take over in Mike Anderson's role from 2005, but Fantasy owners have a hard time accepting him as a starting NFL rusher. Bell, on the other hand, has the potential to put together a Larry Johnson-type season, but he's not getting the first-team reps.

What we have learned thus far at Broncos camp is that whenever the Broncos' first-team offense breaks from calling the play and goes to the line of scrimmage, Dayne is in the backfield. That's not to say Bell doesn't get any first-team reps, but he isn't getting the time Dayne is. That means a lot. We've learned Dayne is in fine shape, has been running with authority and is closer to being more like Mike Anderson circa 2005 than Ron Dayne circa 2003, which is precisely what Denver wants.

Moreover, we've been told that Bell has not been a strong runner early on in camp, getting knocked over too easily on carries. Considering that these drills aren't at full speed, that's definitely not a good sign.

It sounds weird to be touting Dayne as a useful Fantasy running back, but it's looking like he will be. Owners know that he has been mostly a disappointment in his NFL career, not rushing for more than four yards per carry until last season. He might get to four yards per carry in 2006, and if he carries the ball the 239 times Anderson did last year, my calculator tells me that's 956 rushing yards. Of course, Anderson missed a game last season, so Dayne might even be good enough to land 1,000 yards on the ground, which would be a first for him and a total coup for owners who take him as a No. 2 Fantasy rusher.

Bell, on the other hand, will see time and get eight-to-12 touches per game so long as Dayne is healthy. Considering his career average of 5.3 yards per run, that's not an entirely horrible situation. He might be the best No. 2 RB in the NFL, making him a decent No. 3 Fantasy RB. But Dayne will get more touches, so that puts him ahead of Bell.

As for not drafting Dayne just because he's Ron Dayne ... get over it. If you're needy for a back in Round 6 or 7 and still see Dayne on that draftboard, he'll look like Walter Payton to you, and you won't mind having him then.


To be honest, after that sentence, the rest was "blah blah Ron Dayne, blah blah starter, blah blah what the h**l did you just say?

Senior, Senile, Whatever.
Image

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 13587
Joined: 6 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Making My List and Checking It Twice...

Postby Cupertino_11 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:56 am

Lately it's been RB Mike Bell making noise in camp at Dove Valley, not Tatum. If that keeps up and Tatum fails to seize another golden opportunity, Dayne would be a steal in the 6th or 7th.
Cupertino_11
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1178
Joined: 16 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: A little speck out in the Pacific

Postby moose_ffc » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:19 am

I looked up Mike Bell and he looks like the real deal.

Denver should be a mess as usual.
"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."
moose_ffc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 303
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 14 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Panama City, FL

Postby bagobonez » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:38 am

Ugh... i hate this. I have the #2 slot and was considering going Bell/Dayne at the end of round 4 and start of round 5. would that be too high to take both?
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
Image
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4463
Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Atop my league's fantasy throne

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:59 am

bagobonez wrote:Ugh... i hate this. I have the #2 slot and was considering going Bell/Dayne at the end of round 4 and start of round 5. would that be too high to take both?


:-o just not a headache i want to deal with
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 7054
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: being a fan of the worst franchise in the NFL

Postby mutantseabass » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:59 am

All is says is he has the potential. Alot of RBs in the NFL have the potential to put up big numbers. The Denver backfield is always as clear as mud. Im having a very hard time selling myself on Ron Dayne as a starter though.
Image

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11757
Joined: 23 Aug 2002
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Motor City

Postby Indys_time » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:03 am

LJ numbers, I don't think so. Maybe Rudi's last year numbers, but just MAYBE. Ron Dayne and T.Bell will split carries, don't see either one going over 1100yds and 8tds.
Image
Thanks to Joelamosobadiah for another great sig
Indys_time
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 2674
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 14 Dec 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Postby biju » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:27 am

Indys_time wrote:LJ numbers, I don't think so. Maybe Rudi's last year numbers, but just MAYBE. Ron Dayne and T.Bell will split carries, don't see either one going over 1100yds and 8tds.


I don't think that article was saying Tatum Bell was going to really put up LJ numbers this year. I think they were talking more about his potential if he could carry the full load.

I agree that there's no way he could really do that however.

Personally I can see a case where Ron Dayne does pretty well this season. I think he can put up Mike Anderson's numbers from last season with maybe a few less TDs. He might even put up more yardage, as Mike was hurt and essentially didn't play two games due to injury.
Image
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5941
Joined: 6 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Seattle - Ballard

Re: Tatum Bell to put up LJ Numbers!

Postby Nfl Fan » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:53 am

Kilroy1872 wrote:No matter what city you live in, you're familiar with the mystique that comes with being Denver's starting tailback. Since Terrell Davis burst on the scene in 1995, the Broncos have been known as a RB factory, churning out polished, productive runners behind an offensive line that always runs a terrific (but controversial) blocking scheme. Fantasy owners have always placed an extra sprinkle of value on the runner in Denver since they know about the reputation (and expectation) Broncos rushers carry coming into a season.

However, Denver's backfield heading into 2006 have made Fantasy owners a bit skeptical. That's because the two men competing for the starting job are former Heisman winner-turned-NFL bust Ron Dayne and former second-round pick Tatum Bell, who hasn't been a total disappointment but hasn't met expectations, either. Dayne is expected to land the starting job and take over in Mike Anderson's role from 2005, but Fantasy owners have a hard time accepting him as a starting NFL rusher. Bell, on the other hand, has the potential to put together a Larry Johnson-type season, but he's not getting the first-team reps.

What we have learned thus far at Broncos camp is that whenever the Broncos' first-team offense breaks from calling the play and goes to the line of scrimmage, Dayne is in the backfield. That's not to say Bell doesn't get any first-team reps, but he isn't getting the time Dayne is. That means a lot. We've learned Dayne is in fine shape, has been running with authority and is closer to being more like Mike Anderson circa 2005 than Ron Dayne circa 2003, which is precisely what Denver wants.

Moreover, we've been told that Bell has not been a strong runner early on in camp, getting knocked over too easily on carries. Considering that these drills aren't at full speed, that's definitely not a good sign.

It sounds weird to be touting Dayne as a useful Fantasy running back, but it's looking like he will be. Owners know that he has been mostly a disappointment in his NFL career, not rushing for more than four yards per carry until last season. He might get to four yards per carry in 2006, and if he carries the ball the 239 times Anderson did last year, my calculator tells me that's 956 rushing yards. Of course, Anderson missed a game last season, so Dayne might even be good enough to land 1,000 yards on the ground, which would be a first for him and a total coup for owners who take him as a No. 2 Fantasy rusher.

Bell, on the other hand, will see time and get eight-to-12 touches per game so long as Dayne is healthy. Considering his career average of 5.3 yards per run, that's not an entirely horrible situation. He might be the best No. 2 RB in the NFL, making him a decent No. 3 Fantasy RB. But Dayne will get more touches, so that puts him ahead of Bell.

As for not drafting Dayne just because he's Ron Dayne ... get over it. If you're needy for a back in Round 6 or 7 and still see Dayne on that draftboard, he'll look like Walter Payton to you, and you won't mind having him then.


Thanks for puting that line in bold print....
I didn't have to waste my time reading the rest of that article.

Bell = LJ ??
Yeah, whatever!
Image
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 6275
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 18 May 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: AUTZEN!!!!!!

Postby The Lung » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:58 am

It appears that Dave Richard thinks that Tatum Bell should be handed the starting job.

However, coach Mike Shanahan obviously has some reservations about Tatum Bell's ability to run inside, as well as handle 20+ carries per game for an entire season.

I think coach Shanahan knows a lot more about Tatum Bell's ability and potential than Dave Richard.
(~);}

Image

(~);}
The Lung
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 9850
(Past Year: 72)
Joined: 2 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Disgusted with Mocha Bean

Next

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 18:00 hours
(and 45 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact