Favre off to a rough start (other notes) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Favre off to a rough start (other notes)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Favre off to a rough start (other notes)

Postby bagobonez » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:42 am

http://blogs.foxsports.com/NFL_Czar/2006/07/31/Brett_Favres_training_camp_struggles_and_more

Anyone watching a couple days of Green Bay practices will tell you that quarterback Brett Favre hasn’t looked very sharp. One local reporter said he’s been completing about 53 percent of his throws in 7-on-7 drills and in team drills. He went one stretch on Wednesday where he completed only one of five passes, including one batted down at the line of scrimmage.

“Brett and the offense really isn’t in rhythm right now,” said first-year head coach Mike McCarthy. “We’re installing plays into our offense while the defense has been playing a lot of man coverage. What I mean is that we’re not running plays to beat what the defense is throwing at us and so they’ve looked better a lot of times. But it’s way too early to be jumping to any conclusions about Brett and the offense.”

The Packers have been holding Ahman Green out of drills and expect to keep it that way for another week or so. GM Ted Thompson said he hopes that Green can see some live action in the third preseason game, Aug. 28, in Cincinnati against the Bengals.

Meanwhile, Samkon Gado and Noah Herron are receiving the bulk of the work in camp. Gado even got drilled by No. 1 pick A.J. Hawk near the sidelines and took a few seconds to gather himself.

A very young team, Green Bay appears to have had an excellent draft when you consider that two rookies, Daryn Colledge and Jason Spitz, are projected to be the starters at left and right guard, respectively. I realize it is early but second-round pick Greg Jennings from Western Michigan looks as good as any returning veteran at wide receiver. He may end up being the best receiver in this year’s draft.

On the downside, special teams could be looking for a kicker. Billy Cundiff hasn’t impressed anyone and there’s a very good chance that Jon Ryan from Regina, Canada could beat out former third-round pick B.J. Sander for the punting job.

Bears players like Jones

The Chicago Bears are the cream of the NFC North based on their 13 wins last season. They won with defense and Thomas Jones rushing to career numbers last season because they had a rookie quarterback in Kyle Orton. The defensive guys love and respect Jones, who feels he is underpaid and is currently nursing a sore hamstring. Jones may miss another week of practice.
With all the heat in the Midwest during the first week of training camp, head coach Lovie Jones has switched almost all of his one-a-day practices to the evening. But when the Bears work, they give it their all. And it seems like the defenders aren’t holding back on running back Cedric Benson. No love taps for him during live drills.

Could it be that the players prefer Jones to Benson, who loves to talk about rushing for 1,700 yards this season and finally being the starter after a messed up rookie season? Or, are the Bears simply enjoying toughening up Benson?

When to rest and when to retire

It makes perfect sense in New England that Tom Brady takes a couple days off from practicing (and throwing) to rest his arm. The Patriots would probably be finished if they ever lost Brady, the game’s best quarterback. Matt Cassell needs all the work he can get, considering he couldn’t even start at USC.
All those who believe that Priest Holmes will play this season for the Kansas City Chiefs raise their hands? The acquisition of Michael Bennett, who was coveted by Rams coach Scott Linehan, by the Chiefs virtually clears the way for the Chiefs to allow Holmes to retire. And speaking of retirements, guard Will Shields is pretty unhappy that teammate Willie Roaf hung it up, considering the two made a vow at this year’s Pro Bowl that they both would return this season. Roaf, though, had to go back on his word once he re-injured a bothersome hamstring during mini-camps. When you’re a big man like Roaf, it’s virtually impossible to get into playing shape when you can’t run.

Extra money for vets

There is going to be a lot of extra millions under the salary cap this season – one executive told me there could $200 million left once all the rookies are signed league-wide – and players are wondering if owners will spend it, securing valuable veterans for the future. Well, the Dallas Cowboys and Tampa Bay Bucs have done exactly that, showing the money to Roy Williams and Ronde Barber, respectively, with big bonuses and long-term deals.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Billsbacker » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:15 pm

Worse than the incompletions are the number of interceptions that he's been throwing in the preseason. Favre uncharacteristically had 20 TD's and 29 INT's last year, and from the looks of things, this is carrying over into this year. Driver and WR#2 (Ferguson? Jennings?) will be valuable, but Favre is looking like he may not even warrant backup QB consideration on many FF teams....
Billsbacker
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby eaglesrule » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:38 pm

Billsbacker wrote:Worse than the incompletions are the number of interceptions that he's been throwing in the preseason. Favre uncharacteristically had 20 TD's and 29 INT's last year, and from the looks of things, this is carrying over into this year. Driver and WR#2 (Ferguson? Jennings?) will be valuable, but Favre is looking like he may not even warrant backup QB consideration on many FF teams....

I don't know of anyone who "Characteristically" has 30 INTs in a season to be fair.

I think Farve has been on the decline for a bit, and he has always had a penchant for an untimelyINT, its just he was so awesome it didn't matter. I think he is done, and totally delusional if he thinks the Pack will be good.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bagobonez » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:39 pm

eaglesrule wrote:
Billsbacker wrote:Worse than the incompletions are the number of interceptions that he's been throwing in the preseason. Favre uncharacteristically had 20 TD's and 29 INT's last year, and from the looks of things, this is carrying over into this year. Driver and WR#2 (Ferguson? Jennings?) will be valuable, but Favre is looking like he may not even warrant backup QB consideration on many FF teams....

I don't know of anyone who "Characteristically" has 30 INTs in a season to be fair.

I think Farve has been on the decline for a bit, and he has always had a penchant for an untimelyINT, its just he was so awesome it didn't matter. I think he is done, and totally delusional if he thinks the Pack will be good.

Yeah, he's done. He's been "winging it" for so long that he doesn't know how to stop and just be the kind of QB that may not win a game for his team, but won't lose it. He's always been all or nothing, which has been part of his greatness, but now that he no longer has the supporting cast, he's hurting more than he's helping. Makes you wonder if he may end up retiring before the season starts. Surely even he knows it's futile at this point.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Shock Wave » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:52 pm

Not surprising, my friend and I were talking about him during the offseason and he was saying hes gonna make a comeback and I kept saying he wont finish the season as starter.
Shock Wave
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Popcynical » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:30 pm

The difference between this year and last year is now Mike McCarthy is the type of coach who will get in Favre's face about throwing a bad interception. Sherman never did that, but Holmgren did.

He's not done. It's one practice.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:54 pm

Not gonna be a great legacy if he goes out with 2 terrible seasons to end his career (not to mention he's sucking the life out of all my Bret Favre rookie cards, lol!).
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 177)

Re: Favre off to a rough start (other notes)

Postby Guru13 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:02 pm

bagobonez wrote:http://blogs.foxsports.com/NFL_Czar/2006/07/31/Brett_Favres_training_camp_struggles_and_more

Gado even got drilled by No. 1 pick A.J. Hawk near the sidelines and took a few seconds to gather himself.
and he didn't fumble?!?!!?
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 8)

Postby mrblitz » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:12 pm

Favre, really should of hung them up last year. Now they are trying to rebuild the team , with an ancient qb.Because of that they will be behind at least a year in the rebuilding process. JMO

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:15 pm

Hmmm.... Let's see if this sounds like a recipe for disaster:

Bad O-Line
Mediocre RB
Decent WR
A wild, gunslinging QB
Game One of the season against arguably the NFL's best defense

Honestly, Favre's 2006 may not last 60 minutes. :-o
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk