New rule on instant replay/fumbles - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

New rule on instant replay/fumbles

Moderator: Football Moderators

New rule on instant replay/fumbles

Postby bagobonez » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:08 am

The Boston Herald reports one of the most intriguing NFL rules changes could be fumbles on plays that were previously ruled down by contact. Whereas the ball was previously dead, this season officials will be able to use instant replay to determine if the fumble occurred before the runner hit the ground. The recovering team would gain possession, regardless of whether the whistle blew. "You can’t really play to the whistle anymore," Patriots HC Bill Belichick said. "You have to play to the ball, because the whistle might not affect the end of the play. In this particular rule, we’re kind of going into an area that we haven’t gone into before."
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:14 am

That doesn't make any sense. If you are going to allow players to play after the whistle, where do you draw the line? Isn't one of the reasons for blowing the whistle so that you can protect players once a play is over?

I think a better resolution would be to train the refs to wait until they see the ball is secure before blowing the whistle.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Re: New rule on instant replay/fumbles

Postby bklik » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:16 am

bagobonez wrote:The Boston Herald reports one of the most intriguing NFL rules changes could be fumbles on plays that were previously ruled down by contact. Whereas the ball was previously dead, this season officials will be able to use instant replay to determine if the fumble occurred before the runner hit the ground. The recovering team would gain possession, regardless of whether the whistle blew. "You can’t really play to the whistle anymore," Patriots HC Bill Belichick said. "You have to play to the ball, because the whistle might not affect the end of the play. In this particular rule, we’re kind of going into an area that we haven’t gone into before."

Anybody see this causing huge problems?? Especially when it comes to late hits i.e. after the whistle? Definitly is "going into an area that we haven’t gone into before"
bklik
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby dream_017 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:20 am

2006 Rule changes discussion ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)

Re: New rule on instant replay/fumbles

Postby bagobonez » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:37 am

bklik wrote:
bagobonez wrote:The Boston Herald reports one of the most intriguing NFL rules changes could be fumbles on plays that were previously ruled down by contact. Whereas the ball was previously dead, this season officials will be able to use instant replay to determine if the fumble occurred before the runner hit the ground. The recovering team would gain possession, regardless of whether the whistle blew. "You can’t really play to the whistle anymore," Patriots HC Bill Belichick said. "You have to play to the ball, because the whistle might not affect the end of the play. In this particular rule, we’re kind of going into an area that we haven’t gone into before."

Anybody see this causing huge problems?? Especially when it comes to late hits i.e. after the whistle? Definitly is "going into an area that we haven’t gone into before"

I don't see it being a big deal. When someone fumbles, those players ignore the whistles anyway when they're all digging around underneath the pile.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Football Talk