Return to Jacksonville Jaguars

Drew Shines in camp

Moderator: Football Moderators

Drew Shines in camp

Postby mutantseabass » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:43 pm

RB Drew Shines in Jags Scrimmage
Mark Long
8/5/2006

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) -- Rookie running back Maurice Drew had two of the few offensive highlights in Jacksonville's first scrimmage Friday night.

The second-round draft pick from UCLA broke a 31-yard run, then capped it with a 3-yard scoring plunge two plays later as the Jaguars prepared for their preseason opener next week at Miami.

"He showed some of that explosive quality that he has," coach Jack Del Rio said. "He's got that ability to get out in the open field and then really get going. You got a little taste of that."

Drew ran for a team-high 39 yards on four carries, and was mildly upset that he was tackled on the long scamper.

"I should have scored," he said. "I got to work on my speed, I guess."

Del Rio had hoped for much better results from the offense, which he repeatedly said was off to its best start in his four years. But the defense, especially the first- and second-team units, dominated the scrimmage.

Starter Byron Leftwich completed 6 of 11 passes for 36 yards and threw an interception. Backup David Garrard was 3-of-5 for 14 yards.

Fred Taylor started the game despite a strained hamstring and ran three times for 9 yards. Greg Jones ran four times for 19 yards, and LaBrandon Toefield added 18 yards on five carries.

"I thought defensively we did some really good things," Del Rio said. "Our defense is pretty good and they've been practicing against the same plays for a week."

Aside from Drew's key runs, the other offensive bright spot was a 35-yard touchdown pass from third-team quarterback Quinn Gray to Fred Stamps. Reggie Williams was the only other receiver with a catch longer than 10 yards.

Leftwich's interception came near the end of the scrimmage. He threw a perfect slant pass to Ernest Wilford, but the receiver bobbled the ball, and David Richardson picked off the deflection.

Running back Alvin Pearman also fumbled.

"We've executed a little better," Del Rio said. "I want to set a high standard, and we have work to do."

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:30 pm

Pearman's a special teamer, so the fumble really doesn't effect his status as a tailback. Drew impressing is nice to see. I plan on taking him late in my keeper drafts, just in case he really has the stuff to start in the NFL. Not too many 5'7" backs out there though.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Jacksonville Jaguars