Card and Leinhart cant get together - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Arizona Cardinals

Card and Leinhart cant get together

Moderator: Football Moderators

Card and Leinhart cant get together

Postby mutantseabass » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:10 pm

Leinart, Cardinals can not get together
Len Pasquarelli
8/4/2006

Five days into training camp, and with no significant progress in the negotiations between the Arizona Cardinals and the representatives for first-round draft pick Matt Leinart, the two sides on Friday swapped letters but not contract proposals.

The message of the missives faxed between Cardinals vice president of football operations Rod Graves and agent Tom Condon of CAA remains unknown. But judging from Condon's demeanor Friday evening, one might surmise the two sides weren't exchanging pleasantries, or any other verbiage that might move them closer to an accord.

"There's really nothing to report," said Condon, who last week spent three days in face-to-face bargaining before leaving the Phoenix area without a deal. "I guess you could say we're talking, in a sense, but it really hasn't been anything you could call progress. It is what it is."

Leinart is one of just three first-round selections who remain unsigned, with safeties Donte Whitner of the Buffalo Bills and the Miami Dolphins' Jason Allen joining the former Southern California quarterback in being absent from their respective training camps. Defensive tackle Brodrick Bunkley, the first-round pick of the Philadelphia Eagles, agreed to terms on Friday afternoon after missing two weeks of camp.

It's believed the Cardinals have made about three different proposals to Leinart but, obviously, either the numbers, the terms or the structure was not amenable to the former USC star.

The 10th overall choice in the draft and probably a bargain in that slot after he posted a brilliant 37-2 record as the Trojans' starter for three seasons, Leinart was in Phoenix for several days last week and actually spent time throwing with some Arizona receivers. But when he missed last Sunday evening's deadline for reporting to camp and then Monday's opening practice, Leinart returned home to the Los Angeles area.

The 2004 Heisman Trophy winner, Leinart is expected to battle two-year veteran John Navarre for the backup job behind starter Kurt Warner once his contract is resolved. The consensus is that the Cardinals chose Leinart to groom him as the team's quarterback of the future.

During his celebrated college career, Leinart completed 807-of-1,245 passes for 10,693 yards, with 99 touchdown passes and 23 interceptions.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:39 pm

Gotta wonder if this really is the Cardinals being their usual cheap selves or Matt's agent asking for the farm. Maybe he should have come out last season if he really wanted to make #1 overall-type money. I'd bet hard money it's just the Cardinals being stingy.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mutantseabass » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:29 pm

Still no progress in QB Leinart talks with Cards
Darren Urban
8/6/2006

There seems to be no end in sight to the negotiations with unsigned first-round pick Matt Leinart. The quarterback’s agent, Tom Condon, said there is still no progress. Green intimated last week that if Leinart wasn’t at practice by Monday, it will be difficult to have him play in this weekend’s preseason opener against Pittsburgh.

mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thatonepoorkid » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:53 pm

Lienart needs to be in hollywood, not the NFL. Im sure that the Cards are well aware of what they have and are giving fair deals. Lienart thinks he is better than Vince Young and wants more money then Young. I dont think he realizes that between him and young are a few draft picks. Leinart needs to get his head in the game accept the deals that im sure are more than fair and get to practice, or the only way he will be making money is in the next one night in paris video.
thatonepoorkid
Head Coach
Head Coach

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Cards24 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:50 am

thatonepoorkid wrote:Lienart needs to be in hollywood, not the NFL. Im sure that the Cards are well aware of what they have and are giving fair deals. Lienart thinks he is better than Vince Young and wants more money then Young. I dont think he realizes that between him and young are a few draft picks. Leinart needs to get his head in the game accept the deals that im sure are more than fair and get to practice, or the only way he will be making money is in the next one night in paris video.

I agree 100%

For once I actually don't think the cards are dropping the ball, but instead I see another USC "Brat".
Best Damn Fantasy Football League
Cards24
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Crippler » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:52 am

thatonepoorkid wrote:Lienart needs to be in hollywood, not the NFL. Im sure that the Cards are well aware of what they have and are giving fair deals. Lienart thinks he is better than Vince Young and wants more money then Young. I dont think he realizes that between him and young are a few draft picks. Leinart needs to get his head in the game accept the deals that im sure are more than fair and get to practice, or the only way he will be making money is in the next one night in paris video.

He and I both ;)

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby mutantseabass » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:36 am

Guaranteed money stalls Cards QB Leinart deal
Kent Somers
8/8/2006

FLAGSTAFF - Like junior high kids at their first dance, the Cardinals and the agent for quarterback Matt Leinart appear to be creeping closer together in negotiations, but there still is significant ground to cover before a deal is reached.

"I think we're getting close," coach Dennis Green said Monday. "Hopefully, that's the case."

One of the people doing the negotiating, Cardinals Vice President Rod Graves, wouldn't go that far. But he sternly denied reports the Cardinals had offered Leinart, the 10th overall pick in April's draft, less than what the 11th pick, Denver quarterback Jay Cutler, or last year's 10th pick, Detroit receiver Mike Williams, received.

"We haven't been in a position of trying to low-ball anyone," Graves said Monday evening, "whether it's been free agents or draft choices over the last couple of years. Any reports that we're low-balling Matt Leinart are simply not true."

Graves pointed to the contracts of cornerback Antrel Rolle and receiver Larry Fitzgerald as proof. Fitzgerald, the third pick in 2004, and Rolle, the eighth pick last year, received deals equal to the market at the time.

"We were more than fair with Larry Fitzgerald," Graves said. "We were more than fair with Antrel Rolle, and we've been more than fair in this process with Matt Leinart. And if we can get the third and the eighth picks in, I believe we know what we're doing to get the 10th pick in."

Leinart's agent, Tom Condon, declined to respond to Graves' comments, saying only "we continue to have discussions and still have some significant issues we have to solve."

In the NFL, guaranteed money is the key to any contract. Salaries usually aren't guaranteed, so the most important thing for a player is to get as much money up front as possible.

That's why there is so much focus on how much guaranteed money the Cardinals have offered Leinart. Yahoo! Sports reported over the weekend the Cardinals had offered Leinart a contract that included $9 million in guaranteed money and another $2 million that was guaranteed only for injury.

That would be less guaranteed money than Cutler received. His six-year contract includes $11 million in guaranteed money. The Cardinals' offer, if accurate, also would be less than Williams, who received $10 million in guaranteed money last year.

Ernie Sims, the ninth overall pick, signed a five-year deal that included $12 million in guaranteed money. A person close to negotiations said the Cardinals have offered significantly less than $12 million in guaranteed money.

Graves declined to talk about the team's offer in detail, but said it is "beyond our draft position.

"You can make the measurements after the deal is done, whenever it gets done."

Graves admitted negotiations have taken longer than he expected, but the two sides have talked several times in the past few days and it's believed five- and six-year deals are still on the table.

There is motivation on both sides to get a deal done.

Leinart has missed seven days of training camp practice. He's a bright guy and faithfully attended the team's off-season workouts, but Leinart needs to play in preseason games if he's going to challenge John Navarre for the No. 2 job behind Kurt Warner.

The Cardinals have enjoyed unprecedented success this off-season. They signed running back Edgerrin James in free agency, drafted Leinart, who won two national titles at Southern California, and sold every ticket for their games at new Cardinals Stadium.

They can't afford to extinguish the excitement of the off-season with protracted negotiations with Leinart.

For a coach, Green is uncommonly patient in such matters. On Monday, he went out of his way to defend the team's offer.

"We know how to do contracts," he said. "I think (owner) Bill Bidwill has been very generous with his contracts."

But in contract negotiations, the definition of generosity depends on whether you're signing the check or cashing it.

http://www.azcentral.com/

mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:23 pm

Green's getting angrier by the minute...

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. -- Arizona Cardinals coach Dennis Green has lost his patience with rookie Matt Leinart and his contract holdout.

Green sharply criticized Leinart and his representatives on Monday for rejecting "a more than generous" offer from the team.

"It is an outstanding contract," Green said. "It's $14 million guaranteed."

Green said the deal is far more than a 10th pick would normally receive.

Leinart's agent, Tom Condon, did not return a telephone message seeking a response to Green's comments.

Leinart is the only first-round pick unsigned. The next-to-last holdout agreed to terms a week ago. That's the date, Green said, the Cardinals made their latest offer.

Leinart might have been the No. 1 pick in the draft a year ago but he decided to remain at USC for his senior season. This year, he unexpectedly fell to the Cardinals at the No. 10 spot.

Green said the sides were at odds over the total value of the contract, which the coach said was among the top five of this year's deals with draft picks.

The main issue reportedly is the size of escalation clauses that would give Leinart additional money the more he plays.

Green was upset with the perception that Cardinals owner Bill Bidwill was being cheap in the negotiations.

"I've been here two years," Green said. "All I know is when we set out a strategy, whether it be signing Bertrand Berry, or drafting Larry Fitzgerald, Bill Bidwill has helped us get that player."

He said the signing of running back Edgerrin James was the best example.

"Edgerrin James is as big as they come," Green said. "We had our powder dry and we got a guy who's been the most significant back in the National Football League over the last seven years."

Leinart's absence was magnified when backup John Navarre threw two interceptions in Saturday's preseason opener against Pittsburgh.

Kurt Warner understands Green's frustrations.

"Coach wants guys to help us win and Matt's one of those guys that's going to make our team better," Warner said. "That sometimes can get frustrating as players, as a coach, because so much of that is out of your control."

"Leinart has missed a crucial two weeks of training camp," Warner said.

"I think everybody knows that the more days you miss, the more games you miss, the farther and farther you fall behind and the harder it is to catch up," Warner said.

He said that the number of reps a backup quarterback gets diminishes the closer it gets to the regular season. Green said he looks forward to former Super Bowl MVPs Warner and Tom Brady, "who was not a No. 10 pick," playing for a quarter in Saturday's preseason game at New England.

"It would be a shame if Matt Leinart is still sitting out there as the only player in the National Football League who is not in the National Football League, and you've got an impressive deal on the table.

"That's just the kind of mood I'm in," Green said, before he walked away.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to Arizona Cardinals