Article Ideas - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Article Discussions

Article Ideas

Moderators: daullaz, Football Moderators

Re: Article Ideas

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:58 pm

PhillyEagle wrote:This really isn't much of an article idea but it is at least idea (stolen from CBS I'll admit -- although I haven't seen them do it in a long time) that could be added to the bottom of another article.

After each week, find good fantasy players that were worth starting but didn't have a great week and say "Your team might of looked great if you started these players...but you probably lost"

Then do the exact opposite. Find players that weren't started in many leagues but had a great game. So if a terrible WR happens to go for 70 yards and 2 TDs they would be worth putting on this "team".

For example. Assuming that Peyton Manning, Clinton Portis, Marshawn Lynch, Chad Johnson, Terrell Owens, Gates, Vikings D all had bad weeks...you would say...

"Your stacked team probably lost if it looked like this for week 1..."
  • QB - Mannning (1 TD, 3 INT, 190 yards passing)
  • RB - Portis (0 TD, 69 yards rushing, 1 FL)
  • RB - Lynch (0 TD, 23 yards rushing, 11 yards receiving)
  • WR - Johnson (1 catch, 15 yards)
  • WR - Owens (3 catches, 36 yards)
  • TE - Gates (2 catches, 13 yards)
  • D - Vikings (35 pts against, 1 sack, 370 yards given up)

"Surprisingly if your team looked like this week 1 you probably would have won..."
  • QB - Garcia (3 TDs, 0 INT, 340 yards passing)
  • RB - Perry (2 TDs, 115 yards)
  • RB - Forte (1 TD, 97 yards)
  • WR - Avant (1 TD, 88 yards)
  • WR - Gaffney (2 TDs, 61 yards)
  • TE - Baker (1 TD, 55 yards)
  • D - Rams (14 pts against, 3 sacks, 2 INTs, 190 yards given up)

I haven't seen CBS run that idea since the beginning of fantasy last year, but when they did do it I always thought it was interesting to see. It kind of shows that every week there are studs that have terrible weeks, and there are guys that put up stud like numbers even though they were on most bunches.

This idea wouldn't be enough to warrant it's own article obviously, but if somebody does a recap of Week 1 or something then it could be added to the bottom of the article has just a small/nice feature.

I have seen that before and thought it was kind of a "cool" feature, but what good does it really do? Point out the luck in fantasy football? If there's players we want to bring attention to that they had a good week and would be good pickups, that would be done in a sleeper. All that really does is make noobs want to start people they probably shouldn't be starting IMO.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby WaCougMBS » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:11 pm

PhillyEagle wrote:This really isn't much of an article idea but it is at least idea (stolen from CBS I'll admit -- although I haven't seen them do it in a long time) that could be added to the bottom of another article.

After each week, find good fantasy players that were worth starting but didn't have a great week and say "Your team might of looked great if you started these players...but you probably lost"

Then do the exact opposite. Find players that weren't started in many leagues but had a great game. So if a terrible WR happens to go for 70 yards and 2 TDs they would be worth putting on this "team".

For example. Assuming that Peyton Manning, Clinton Portis, Marshawn Lynch, Chad Johnson, Terrell Owens, Gates, Vikings D all had bad weeks...you would say...

"Your stacked team probably lost if it looked like this for week 1..."
  • QB - Mannning (1 TD, 3 INT, 190 yards passing)
  • RB - Portis (0 TD, 69 yards rushing, 1 FL)
  • RB - Lynch (0 TD, 23 yards rushing, 11 yards receiving)
  • WR - Johnson (1 catch, 15 yards)
  • WR - Owens (3 catches, 36 yards)
  • TE - Gates (2 catches, 13 yards)
  • D - Vikings (35 pts against, 1 sack, 370 yards given up)

"Surprisingly if your team looked like this week 1 you probably would have won..."
  • QB - Garcia (3 TDs, 0 INT, 340 yards passing)
  • RB - Perry (2 TDs, 115 yards)
  • RB - Forte (1 TD, 97 yards)
  • WR - Avant (1 TD, 88 yards)
  • WR - Gaffney (2 TDs, 61 yards)
  • TE - Baker (1 TD, 55 yards)
  • D - Rams (14 pts against, 3 sacks, 2 INTs, 190 yards given up)

I haven't seen CBS run that idea since the beginning of fantasy last year, but when they did do it I always thought it was interesting to see. It kind of shows that every week there are studs that have terrible weeks, and there are guys that put up stud like numbers even though they were on most bunches.

This idea wouldn't be enough to warrant it's own article obviously, but if somebody does a recap of Week 1 or something then it could be added to the bottom of the article has just a small/nice feature.

I could certainly incorporate something like this into the TMQ - what do you guys think? :-?
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby joejlitz » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:26 pm

I've seen it before and always thought it was interesting enough that I would look for it each week. I like it.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby madaslives911 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:04 pm

Fellow writers,

We need a Fresh content on the Sleeper Section since the article there has been gathering some dust. I was thinking that maybe someone can have the time to write even a short article to be entitled "Hidden Gems For 2009". Maybe citing 3-5 players to watch out For.
Visit My Sigs Gallery

2008 Champion - Cafeholics Anonymous
2008 Champion - No Press Allowed
madaslives911
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dolfin99 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:04 pm

madaslives911 wrote:Fellow writers,

We need a Fresh content on the Sleeper Section since the article there has been gathering some dust. I was thinking that maybe someone can have the time to write even a short article to be entitled "Hidden Gems For 2009". Maybe citing 3-5 players to watch out For.

Great idea. Get the names and I will write it if nobody volunteers. ;-D
Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig.
Dolfin99

EditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby madaslives911 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:04 am

that would be great!... am gonna PM to you the names.
Visit My Sigs Gallery

2008 Champion - Cafeholics Anonymous
2008 Champion - No Press Allowed
madaslives911
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby daullaz » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:16 pm

How about focusing on upcoming FAs?

Like I hear Nate Washington is rated pretty highly by some teams; it's possible he could sign a decent-sized contract as a starter somewhere. Identifying 3-5 guys like that would give us something to watch for in FA.

So maybe Byron Leftwich, Derrick Ward, Darren Sproles, and Washington are good candidates?
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dolfin99 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:23 pm

daullaz wrote:How about focusing on upcoming FAs?

Like I hear Nate Washington is rated pretty highly by some teams; it's possible he could sign a decent-sized contract as a starter somewhere. Identifying 3-5 guys like that would give us something to watch for in FA.

So maybe Byron Leftwich, Derrick Ward, Darren Sproles, and Washington are good candidates?

I see no reason why we cannot do both and continue to follow up as the season gets closer as player status changes. That would be he fresh content we needed on the sleeper side of the house. ;-D
Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig.
Dolfin99

EditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to Article Discussions