Ribs - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Ribs

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Buckychudd » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:29 pm

knapplc wrote:
Redskins Win wrote:hmmm sometimes roasts are roasts for a reason and meant to be pot roasts and bbq roasts. live and learn. ;-D

That reminds me, i think i'll make a nice roast beef this weekend. mmmmmmm :-L :-L :-L green beans mashed taters and gravey.

No really - it turned out very good. I'm not complaining, I was just a bit surprised that it wasn't more juicy. It was pretty well-marbled so I thought I'd have some juice.

Couple suggestions (don't know if you did this or not...)

1. Make sure you peel off the membrane on the back of the ribs before you cook them.
2. Add some beer to the pan you're cooking over.
3. Either up the heat (add more charcoal) or cook longer.
4. I wouldn't bother spraying them if you cook over beer, plus it sounds like you were doing it too much. Keep the lid closed.

I don't boil or use any direct heat. If you follow the above instructions they should come out fall-off-the-bone tender.
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:46 pm

Buckychudd wrote:1. Make sure you peel off the membrane on the back of the ribs before you cook them.

That's a great call there Bucky. ;-D I've done that the last few times and the ribs have been great. It can be a booger sometimes to peel off but well worth it.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deacon » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:49 pm

Gentleman/ladies,

This is my speciality as I currently have a BBQ catering business.

Several tips:

1 - Never, and I mean never boil ribs. Sure it makes them tender but that is because it dissolves the fat and connective tissue that holds the muscle fibers together. It also blanches out the taste. The meat will dry out during the bbqing process but will remain loose. It will seem tender but will be bland and rubbery. Ribs are the most flavorful part of the pig (beside the ham) so don't ruin that advantage by boiling out the taste.

2 - If you want 'fall off the bone' ribs the big secret is patience! If you don't have one then buy a thermometer for your grill. Keep the temp no higher than 250 degrees and plan on at least 4 hrs of indirect q'ing. It is done when the meat pulls away from the ends of the bones. At that point you should be able to pull a bone out of the meat cleanly.

3 - As stated before, when cooking babybacks always remove the thin membrane from the underside (bone side) as this membrane will dry out and become very tough.

4 - When bbqing at home I prefer to use a dry rub consisting of brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, onion and garlic powder, and what ever other spices you like. Dry the ribs throughly. Slather the ribs with mustard (don't worry the mustard adds no taste, it just serves as the binding agent for the rub) and dust generously with the rub. Let it sit for about 30mins to let the rub marinade the meat. This will cause the rub to become wet. Dust with another coat of rub and put it on the 250 degree grill.

5 - If possible use wood for your indirect heat to provide the great smokey flavor. All wood is not the same. Try to use fruit wood when bbqing chicken or pork as those have a more delicate flavor than beef. Mesquite can be used but I find it makes pork and chicken a little bitter. If you can use wood exclusively then get a fire box and soak the chips to produce smoke.

6 - Patience, patience, patience!

7 - If you use a dry rub then put some in a pot, add vinegar and apple juice and use it as a glaze when the ribs come off the grill.

I am open for any questions...
Bacon is the greatest meat of all!
deacon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:20 am

deacon wrote:Gentleman/ladies,

This is my speciality as I currently have a BBQ catering business.

Several tips:

1 - Never, and I mean never boil ribs. Sure it makes them tender but that is because it dissolves the fat and connective tissue that holds the muscle fibers together. It also blanches out the taste. The meat will dry out during the bbqing process but will remain loose. It will seem tender but will be bland and rubbery. Ribs are the most flavorful part of the pig (beside the ham) so don't ruin that advantage by boiling out the taste.

2 - If you want 'fall off the bone' ribs the big secret is patience! If you don't have one then buy a thermometer for your grill. Keep the temp no higher than 250 degrees and plan on at least 4 hrs of indirect q'ing. It is done when the meat pulls away from the ends of the bones. At that point you should be able to pull a bone out of the meat cleanly.

3 - As stated before, when cooking babybacks always remove the thin membrane from the underside (bone side) as this membrane will dry out and become very tough.

4 - When bbqing at home I prefer to use a dry rub consisting of brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, onion and garlic powder, and what ever other spices you like. Dry the ribs throughly. Slather the ribs with mustard (don't worry the mustard adds no taste, it just serves as the binding agent for the rub) and dust generously with the rub. Let it sit for about 30mins to let the rub marinade the meat. This will cause the rub to become wet. Dust with another coat of rub and put it on the 250 degree grill.

5 - If possible use wood for your indirect heat to provide the great smokey flavor. All wood is not the same. Try to use fruit wood when bbqing chicken or pork as those have a more delicate flavor than beef. Mesquite can be used but I find it makes pork and chicken a little bitter. If you can use wood exclusively then get a fire box and soak the chips to produce smoke.

6 - Patience, patience, patience!

7 - If you use a dry rub then put some in a pot, add vinegar and apple juice and use it as a glaze when the ribs come off the grill.

I am open for any questions...

thanks...i will try this...i didnt know about the membrane either, thanks to all that mentioned that

love the sig too "Bacon is the greatest meat of all" ;-D
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to General Talk