The SCHOTTENHEIMER Thread - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The SCHOTTENHEIMER Thread

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Challie » Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:07 pm

Challie wrote:He's a solid, middle-of-the-road member of the NFL coaching fraternity.

Matt, I think you and I have a lot of common ground. I'm just mainly speaking as a former Charger fan who had dealt with nothing but pretenders like Kevin Gilbride, June Jones & Mike Riley ever since the dumping of Bobby Ross, a hapless franchise just a year removed from the puzzling Bobby Beatherd (whose ego blew something like 6 consecutive drafts), and a franchise fleecing a City government that is about 2 steps away from Chapter 11 anyway. A retread like Schottenheimer was exactly what I was NOT looking for as a fan.

In the meantime, this excerpt of today's local beat writer should concern Chargers fans about Marty losing the rest of the team:

"The question now is where the Chargers go from here. By suspending Boston, they would be without one of their few offensive playmakers. Boston, who finally looked healthy last weekend, had six catches for 91 yards against the Ravens. He could have had an even bigger day if two passes hadn't been underthrown.

Privately, some team members are hoping Boston avoids suspension. They say he gives them the best chance to win a game that, for all intents and purposes, likely represents their last real chance to turn around a season that is circling the drain.

The Chargers have not scored more than 17 points in any of their three games, and they trailed by at least 20 entering the fourth quarter in each.

"We need him," said one starter. "I mean, are we trying to win games or what?"

If Boston doesn't play Sunday and Tim Dwight is sidelined with a knee injury, the team likely would start Eric Parker and undrafted rookie Kassim Osgood at wide receiver."
Last edited by Challie on Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
... in my opinion, of course - but that should always go without saying.
www.bigfellas.net (home of the golf rap "On The Green")
Challie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mikehunt » Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:11 pm

I find it fun cause this post and the Martz post of early times total intrest me cause I have LT and MF and I was looking at overall production of both teams. I don't blam these guys or no one by themsevles Ithink as it was said a team has to work as one to achive it's goal one area slips then there all gone.

So in that I just kinda wonder what these guys are like what there "style" is and what makes them think

M
mikehunt
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Challie » Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:16 pm

Mike (and please tell me that's your real name!)

I think you're onto something: Marty Schottenheimer as head coach with Martz as offensive coordinator calling all plays. It could work.

I like Martz' chances to survive this season more than Marty's, but that's a little unfair cause Martz has the better roster.
Challie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Chopper » Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:21 pm

I don't claim to know much about the inner-workings of the Chargers coaches or players, but it does seem to me that if Marty had been able to work with Junior Seau and not felt the need to move him, that there'd be fewer personality issues with their players. I don't think Junior would stand back quietly while an independent like Boston caused major disruptions. My guess is Boston would have had a Seau cleat up his ass within about 5 minutes of pulling himself out of practice a couple of weeks ago.
Chopper
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Challie » Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:28 pm

Good point, Chopper. I did feel like Rodney Harrison was the emotional leader of the defense the last few years.

There had been grumblings, off the record of course, from players pissed at Seau's roving, gambling style leading to stupid offsides penalties, being abused by QB snapcounts and generally leaving the defense way out of position.

The 49ers always believed in getting rid of a guy a year too early instead of a year too late. I think they still did OK getting rid of Seau (in a pure football sense only; it was a foolish P.R. move). Now when can they get rid of Boston?!
:*)
Challie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:21 pm

Chopper wrote:I don't claim to know much about the inner-workings of the Chargers coaches or players, but it does seem to me that if Marty had been able to work with Junior Seau and not felt the need to move him, that there'd be fewer personality issues with their players. I don't think Junior would stand back quietly while an independent like Boston caused major disruptions. My guess is Boston would have had a Seau cleat up his ass within about 5 minutes of pulling himself out of practice a couple of weeks ago.

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure if Seau could take Boston. It would be a good fight, but I think Boston would win. He's HUGE!

Friendliness: %

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:26 pm

Boston needs to play for a vet qb not a hard nosed no nonesense coach,,,,,,,,I believe the only way this moron would smarten up would be if he played behind a Favre or Gannon,,,,,,,could you imagine if Gannon was the qb in SD,,,this wouldn't be an issue,,,,,,,,,,,well either that or more of issue.
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

Postby Danz » Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:41 am

[/quote]

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure if Seau could take Boston. It would be a good fight, but I think Boston would win. He's HUGE![/quote]

Seau is a LB, Boston is a WR. Boston hurts a pinky he sits, Seau loses a finger he plugs the stump with some dirt and continues to play. Seau would literally kill Boston. Beach muscles mean nothing in the NFL.
"...90% of the game is half mental"
Maddenism from Madden 2004
Danz
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby yoda83 » Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:20 am

i'm w/ danz on this one.
yoda83
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant