Getting screwed... ** UPDATE ** - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Getting screwed... ** UPDATE **

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby smackthefirst » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:54 am

I have had to deal with situations like this before. Here's the best approach. It can be a little confusing to some but once you get it, it makes perfect sense.

The is an "expansion" draft with 4 rounds. The draft order is randomly choosen for all teams in the league. Each returning team can keep from zero to four players. For every player kept, you lose one draft round starting in round 1. That part is easy enough to understand. You want to keep four and you have no picks in the expansion draft. You want to keep 2 and you pick in rounds three and four of the expansion draft.

The sometimes confusing part is that every team that keeps players must rank their keepers. Your "lowest" ranked keeper is eligible to be drafted by any team in the expansion draft in a round lower than your rank. If your player is drafted, you pick up a pick in the following round. The main point is only your lowest ranked keeper is eligible so you can only lose 1 player.

So let's say you have CJohnson as your 3rd keeper. First he causes you to lose a pick in the third round (and you have laready lost rounds 1 and 2 because you have two keepers ahead of CJ ranked 1 and 2). Now CJohnson can be picked by and team drafting in rounds one and two. If those rounds end, you have kept CJohnson. If another team drafts him from your team, then you will gain your third round pick. And since your third keeper has to go in an earlier round (ie 1 or 2) you aren't losing draft position.

This works out nice once you understand what is going on. A stacked team such as yours would at most lose one keeper. But it gives the other teams a chance at building a team. And it brings in strategy because you have to think harder about who you keep if you only have 2 or 3 good ones. You could be stuck saying ok I have SA and RBrown. I want to keep both. But if I keep only the two then there's a chance i lose RBrown. So you will see some teams keep 2 good keepers and a so so one just to protect their good ones.

PM me if you think this would work for you guys and you have questions.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Football Talk