Terror plot to blow up 10 airplanes foiled - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Terror plot to blow up 10 airplanes foiled

Moderator: Football Moderators

Terror plot to blow up 10 airplanes foiled

Postby SeaWolf » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:54 am

Watching TV at work and this breaking news came over the tube.

A plot to blow up a plane between the UK and the USA was foiled in the UK.

Passengers are only being allowed to carry wallets, passports and other document in clear plastic bags. No bags not even purses.

link

LONDON (CNN) -- Major delays are expected at all UK airports after the nation's threat level was raised to "critical" Thursday when police disrupted an apparent plot to blow up planes in mid-flight.

The highest possible alert level, raised by the British Home Office, means "an attack is expected imminently," and authorities have said no hand luggage would be allowed onto planes.

London's Metropolitan Police said a months-long intelligence operation by the anti-terrorist branch and security service resulted in several arrests overnight, according to a Scotland Yard news release.

The aim of the alleged plot was to explode devices carried aboard planes in handheld luggage -- especially on flights from Britain to the United States, according to Scotland Yard.

"This is a major operation which inevitably will be lengthy and complex," Scotland Yard said in a statement.

Britain's Home Secretary John Reid called the alleged plot significant and said it was designed to "bring down a number of aircraft through mid-flight explosions, causing a considerable loss of life."

"We are doing everything possible to disrupt any further terrorist activity. This will mean major disruption at all UK airports," Reid said, adding the move to raise the alert level was "precautionary."

Hand luggage will not be allowed into the cabin of a plane and passengers will only be allowed to take a wallet, travel documents and other essential items in a plastic bag.

"All passengers must be hand searched, and their footwear and all the items they are carrying must be X-ray screened," a BAA statement added. (Full story)

Across the Atlantic, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security raised its alert threat to the highest level of "severe," or red, for commercial flights originating in the United Kingdom and bound for America.

Meanwhile, the threat level has been raised to "high," or orange for all commercial flights operating in or coming to the United States, a DHS statement said.

"Due to the nature of the threat revealed by this investigation, we are prohibiting any liquids, including beverages, hair gels, and lotions from being carried on the airplane," the statement said.

Investors were quick to dump airline shares when markets opened on Thursday, with British Airways falling 3.5 percent and Ryanair skidding 3 percent.

The alleged terror plot comes more than five years after Briton Richard Reid attempted to detonate explosives hidden in his sneakers on an American Airlines flight from Paris to Miami in December 2001, only a few months after the September 11, 2001 attacks in New York and Washington.

Passengers thwarted his plan, and the plane landed safely in Boston. Reid pleaded guilty to terrorism charges in October 2002 and is serving a life sentence at the nation's super-maximum security prison in Florence, Colorado.

In Washington, FBI Special Agent Richard Kolko said the agency is aware of the "ongoing situation in London" and will issue a statement later.
Last edited by SeaWolf on Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:56 am, edited 5 times in total.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Jimboozie » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:23 am

I didn't read the whole article.

Was this part of Bin Laden's crew or do they not know who was involved?
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby SeaWolf » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:29 am

Jimboozie wrote:I didn't read the whole article.

They have not announced that yet. They are reporting that they arrested 13 people and as mnay as 50 poeple could have been involved. My 1st thought was Qlqeada(sp).
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Jimboozie » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:48 am

SeaWolf wrote:
Jimboozie wrote:I didn't read the whole article.

They have not announced that yet. They are reporting that they arrested 13 people and as mnay as 50 poeple could have been involved. My 1st thought was Qlqeada(sp).

Good, hope those turds get put away.

I have never been on a plane and news like this makes me never want to fly. :-o
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:22 am

To be honest, there have been countless attacks foiled. I'm grateful that we don't know about, probably most of them.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby knapplc » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:53 am

I'm taking my wife and daughter to Europe in three weeks.

Kinda makes you a bit nervous. :-o
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Redskins Win » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:19 am

knapplc wrote:I'm taking my wife and daughter to Europe in three weeks.

I'm not nervous but maybe you should be 8-o

Omaha Red Sox wrote:To be honest, there have been countless attacks foiled. I'm grateful that we don't know about, probably most of them.

Yeah I agree there are many things the government does that we'll never know about. and that's probably a good thing. :-o
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:41 am

knapplc wrote:I'm taking my wife and daughter to Europe in three weeks.

I know some people who are flying to Florida tomorrow! 8-o Man, I bet they are freaking out right now. I know it's inside the US, but still...it's never good to hear there were plots to blow up planes; great job catching those guys! ;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:00 am

This is just terrible- so many things like this in the news, and its just terrible.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Flux » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:10 am

:-o

I always get frustrated at airports when it takes too long to get to the plane with all the checks and such, but im really glad they do it...
Last edited by Flux on Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk