online ripoff - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

online ripoff

Moderator: Football Moderators

online ripoff

Postby drhanl » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:31 am

Anybody play in online leagues where the sites keep ~ 40% of the money paid in?

Believe it or not, by law, if you live in South Carolina, Ohio, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Kentucky, Illinois, Georgia, or the District of Columbia you are entitled to the money you lost to these companies under state gambling loss recovery laws.

I am involved with a lawyer who has filed a multi-million dollar suit and is looking for plaintiffs. If you have played in these leagues and are interested in hammering them for a lot of money that you are entitled to, please let me know.
drhanl
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 65)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:35 am

are you serious?

You do realize that most people running the money leagues are guys with a computer who dont exactly have millions of dollars to pay you with.

Second, anyone who gets in a league without knowing the payouts and what the house keeps deserves to be ripped off. Now, if the payouts ended up not being what they were originally stated, then thats different. But if the leagues website says that 40% goes to the people running it, then thats your fault for still joining up.

People in the country are sue happy. This is almost as dumb as the people that tried to sue mcdonalds because it made them fat.

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bklik » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:32 am

People join "online leauges" where the max you can win is 60% of the pot? Who are these people? Join a leauge with me and Ill only keep 30%.
bklik
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby drhanl » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:41 am

rob,

Sorry I offended you. First of all, you misunderstood the entire point.
(1) I am not suing anyone. I said, there is a lawsuit and the lawyers are looking for plaintiffs.

(2) "the money leagues" that these guys are suing are ESPN, CBS, etc., etc., so yes they have millions of dollars. 1.5 billion in fantasy sports income last year, to be exact.

(3) It has nothing to do with the payout. If it paid out 99%, the law says that if you lose money and you are a resident of one of those states, you are entitled to get half of it back.

J_rob_the_ Baller wrote:are you serious?

You do realize that most people running the money leagues are guys with a computer who dont exactly have millions of dollars to pay you with.

Second, anyone who gets in a league without knowing the payouts and what the house keeps deserves to be ripped off. Now, if the payouts ended up not being what they were originally stated, then thats different. But if the leagues website says that 40% goes to the people running it, then thats your fault for still joining up.

People in the country are sue happy. This is almost as dumb as the people that tried to sue mcdonalds because it made them fat.
drhanl
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Matthias » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:46 am

they're not entitled to a site maintanence / league provision fee?
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby drhanl » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:10 pm

Let me say again. 1.5 billion dollars!

site maintenance fee? or rich people getting richer?

absolutely they are entitled to a site maintenance fee. what got me interested in this whole subject was wanting to start my own site. seems like everyone else is making money, why not me. But, if fantasy sports are games of chance, they are gambling, and regardless of the "fee" you are entitled to get some of it back.

Matthias wrote:they're not entitled to a site maintanence / league provision fee?
drhanl
General Manager
General Manager

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:10 pm

yeah, when you use the leagues that you have to pay for on those sites, you are paying for the extra features that dont exist in the free leagues. Just like people who pay to use websites like myfantasyleague.com

You are paying money to be able to access the site, use the features, and have all the benifits of a league site you paid for like live scoring and such. The money they keep is the money that goes to pay for the website and features that you are using. That 40% is not money that they are taking from the pot, its money that they charge users to be able to use their site.

I stand by my statement that this is a ridiculous lawsuit, just some jackoffs trying to make a buck by screwing over someone else.

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby drhanl » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:14 pm

i'm not even part of the lawsuit rob, i don't care if it is ridiculous or not. but to say, it is somebody trying to screw somebody else, you again are missing the point that these companies have profited 1.5 billion in the past year. And, the lawsuit is trying to screw them? yeah, i don't think so.

J_rob_the_ Baller wrote:yeah, when you use the leagues that you have to pay for on those sites, you are paying for the extra features that dont exist in the free leagues. Just like people who pay to use websites like myfantasyleague.com

You are paying money to be able to access the site, use the features, and have all the benifits of a league site you paid for like live scoring and such. The money they keep is the money that goes to pay for the website and features that you are using. That 40% is not money that they are taking from the pot, its money that they charge users to be able to use their site.

I stand by my statement that this is a ridiculous lawsuit, just some jackoffs trying to make a buck by screwing over someone else.
drhanl
General Manager
General Manager

Postby HskrPwr13 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:19 pm

Theres no issue here. My league pays $150 to sporstline to host the league. Theres no payout above what we owners put into on the side. If this site actually gives you money back for winning the league, then thats probably a better deal than most sites, depending on what they're charging to host.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby drhanl » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:28 pm

and, i suppose you think that your little league is the only option that sportsline has? no. they have many types of pay to play leagues. in these leagues people pay entry fees, which pays for prizes, "site maintenance", etc. the point is, when they pay some money out, and keep a fee it is gambling. it doesn't bother me, i do it, will continue to play, like it, love it, lose some, win some. the point of this thread was to find players from the above mentioned states, because by law, they are entitled to some of that money back. and this lawyer friend needs plaintiffs in order to settle out of court.

HskrPwr13 wrote:Theres no issue here. My league pays $150 to sporstline to host the league. Theres no payout above what we owners put into on the side. If this site actually gives you money back for winning the league, then thats probably a better deal than most sites, depending on what they're charging to host.
drhanl
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk