Mike Bell=wayy overrated - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Mike Bell=wayy overrated

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Daddymike59 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:06 pm

Azrael wrote:
deluxe_247 wrote:even if he is named the starting RB going into week one, i dont for once second believe he will keep the job for any extended amount of time. i mean, we are talking about shannahan here....

I guess I'll never get the "can't trust Shanahan" stuff. Last year Mike Anderson got the job week one and kept the job the whole year. Yet people wouldn't touch him because they feared Bell would eventually take the job from him for whatever reason. Never happened. Bell got his mix of carries but it Anderson played enough to make himself a top 10 or 11 RB. For a 6th rounder (where I usually drafted him), that was darn cheap.

Go look at Shanahan's history of RBs in Denver I posted here:

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... c&&start=0

When he switches backs it's mainly because the starter got hurt.

I've seen enough nobodys run for 1,000 yard seasons in Denver to know that it doesn't take any special talent to play there. If Mike Bell locks up the job by week 1, the coaches probably feel he's the best shot they have a rushing the football.

That is a classic post Az. Everyone can learn something from that info.

Props to Leber for the nice artwork!
Daddymike59
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Mike Bell=wayy overrated

Postby jayday » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:18 pm

FantasyMan13 wrote:Alright, why is everyone so high on him all of the sudden? He's nothing more than a potential third-down back in the NFL (yes, even in Denver), and most likely nothing more than that. I know he's "starting" right now, but that means nothing. He was undrafted and ran a 4.63 40. Am I missing something here?

I'm going to make a prediction and say you've never heard of him before last week, let alone actually saw a game of him in college....So your opinion of him is just a gut feeling based off draft position (or lack thereof)....

Don't think I'm proclaiming to be some Mike Bell expert because I'm not....But I did actually watch him in college, and his skills (vision and quickness) are a perfect match in Denver....I never dreamed he'd get an oppurtunity so early outside of injuries decimating the backfield though....

He went undrafted because he doesn't have breakaway speed, or exceptional power.....He went undrafted because he wasn't overly spectacular on film, or overly productive on paper....The thing Mike has going for him is his vision, and his ability to make the quick decisive cuts...There's a difference between being quick and being fast....Mike is quick....He ran in a similar zone-scheme at Arizona....You won't see him dancing around in the backfield, spinning and juking....And you won't see him running down the sideline for a 90-yard touchdown....Mike's gonna get the small chunks, the 3, 4, 6, 10-yard gains at a time....

Mike could completely flop and we may never hear from him again, or he could shine and be the next product of the Denver RB factory...But why don't we have a look-see in the preseason at how he performs before we put the nail in his coffin....It would be extremely naive to ignore his potential....
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby lody » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:21 pm

its also important to look at the situation and the rest of RB on the depth chart.

Ron Dayne - although once a high first round pick, he has been given the opportunities and we have seen enough of him.

The othe Bell - He has proved to be a failure even in Denver's system. He has the breakaway speed but Denver staff sweats everytime he carries the ball. They can't rely on a guy who fumbles. He also seems to be losing confidence from one article cafers post last week.
lody
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby HskrPwr13 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:26 pm

How is he overrated? If you wouldve picked up Dayne or Tatum, why would you not pick Mike? Its not like I've heard of a lot of people picking him up to be their no 1 or 2 back.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Mike Bell=wayy overrated

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:27 pm

FantasyMan13 wrote:Am I missing something here?

The first preseason game where you actually get to see him play?
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:29 pm

Azrael wrote:
deluxe_247 wrote:even if he is named the starting RB going into week one, i dont for once second believe he will keep the job for any extended amount of time. i mean, we are talking about shannahan here....

I guess I'll never get the "can't trust Shanahan" stuff. Last year Mike Anderson got the job week one and kept the job the whole year. Yet people wouldn't touch him because they feared Bell would eventually take the job from him for whatever reason. Never happened. Bell got his mix of carries but it Anderson played enough to make himself a top 10 or 11 RB. For a 6th rounder (where I usually drafted him), that was darn cheap.

Go look at Shanahan's history of RBs in Denver I posted here:

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... c&&start=0

When he switches backs it's mainly because the starter got hurt.

I've seen enough nobodys run for 1,000 yard seasons in Denver to know that it doesn't take any special talent to play there. If Mike Bell locks up the job by week 1, the coaches probably feel he's the best shot they have a rushing the football.

Agreed.

The real danger in Mike Bell IMO, is that Dayne wins the job back with a stellar preseason and/or Mike Bell stinks it up (fumbilitis) in the preseason. Dayne is a preseason monster, so I would give Bell a 50/50 shot at this point, although I have to admit I know very little about Mike Bell outside of training camp reports.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby WessWackos » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:35 pm

For most...this news doesn't mean anything RIGHT NOW

But for those of us in deep keeper leagues that have to use Waiver's to pick him up this news is POTENTIALLY huge.

I just snagged him in a 10 team 25 man keep-everyone league with my #1 Waiver Priority (we had our rookie draft a month ago).

I'm taking the chance that Bell starts...keeps the job...1000 yards/10 TD's..........not bad from a waiver wire pickup.

Other RB's on the WW? V. Hayes, J. Bettis (retired), L Toefield, M Pittman, M Sellers, N. Harron.....Get the picture?
WessWackos
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Sixxgunn » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:00 pm

Everyone keeps pointing to the year Anderson had as an example of how great it is to have the Denver RB on your team. Check the week by week instead of the total folks, you'll be very, very disappointed.

WK OPP ATT YDS AVG TD
1 @Dolphins 4 5 1.3 0
2 Chargers 15 49 3.3 0
3 Chiefs 20 98 4.9 1
4 @Jaguars 23 115 5.0 0
5 Redskins 11 34 3.1 0
6 Patriots 15 57 3.8 1
7 @Giants 24 120 5.0 1
8 Eagles 21 126 6.0 1
10 @Raiders 17 65 3.8 1
11 Jets 26 113 4.3 3
12 @Cowboys 11 31 2.8 0
13 @Chiefs 13 37 2.8 1
14 Ravens 8 21 2.6 0
15 @Bills 21 97 4.6 2
16 Raiders 10 46 4.6 1

I count 6 weeks without a TD, 7 weeks of 1 TD and 2 weeks of multiple TDs. I see 7 games of 60 yds or less, 1 game of less than 75 yds, 2 games just shy of 100 yds and 4 games of 100yds or more. That's alot of disappointing weeks there, and I know because I had him. There's your 1000 yd rusher. :-t

I tried to space it so it reads better but it won't let me. It just keeps bunching it back together.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby gablefan » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:19 pm

Yeah but everyone wants the Portis/ Davis numbers....
gablefan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby biju » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:26 pm

Sixxgunn wrote:Everyone keeps pointing to the year Anderson had as an example of how great it is to have the Denver RB on your team. Check the week by week instead of the total folks, you'll be very, very disappointed.

WK OPP ATT YDS AVG TD
1 @Dolphins 4 5 1.3 0
2 Chargers 15 49 3.3 0
3 Chiefs 20 98 4.9 1
4 @Jaguars 23 115 5.0 0
5 Redskins 11 34 3.1 0
6 Patriots 15 57 3.8 1
7 @Giants 24 120 5.0 1
8 Eagles 21 126 6.0 1
10 @Raiders 17 65 3.8 1
11 Jets 26 113 4.3 3
12 @Cowboys 11 31 2.8 0
13 @Chiefs 13 37 2.8 1
14 Ravens 8 21 2.6 0
15 @Bills 21 97 4.6 2
16 Raiders 10 46 4.6 1

I count 6 weeks without a TD, 7 weeks of 1 TD and 2 weeks of multiple TDs. I see 7 games of 60 yds or less, 1 game of less than 75 yds, 2 games just shy of 100 yds and 4 games of 100yds or more. That's alot of disappointing weeks there, and I know because I had him. There's your 1000 yd rusher. :-t

I tried to space it so it reads better but it won't let me. It just keeps bunching it back together.

I understand what you're getting at but this isn't someone (hopefully) that anyone has in as a regular starting RB. Sometimes all you need from a #3 RB is a couple of bye weeks and trade bait.

Mike Anderson served me very well last year in that he covered Portis' bye week and then I traded him and Brett Favre off to someone who needed a QB and upgraded my RBs for when Tomlinson was on bye.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk