Just a thought. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Just a thought.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Just a thought.

Postby inferno19 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:07 am

Anybody think that Randy Moss may blow up with Brooks at QB, based on the fact that Culpepper absolutely fell apart without Moss, and looked like Aaron Brooks?

does anyone see what I mean?
1335 rushing yards, 53 receptions, 441 receiving yards. 18 TDs.
Money in the bank.
inferno19
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby HoleInTheWallGang » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:20 am

I don't think there is any kind of comparison. Culpepper fell apart because of the lineman falling apart. Brooks was, is, and allways will be a bum. He's inconsistant and, throws a lot of interseptions. 17 last year, 16 in 2004.
HoleInTheWallGang
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby moonhead » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:21 am

i see what you mean. and i wouldn't recommend that kind of thinking if you want to win your league. ;-)
all i'm saying is don't reach for him.

it would be worth it if you could get brooks late. as a 2nd qb. he was absolutely brutal last year. but horn and dmac were both out for most of his time at qb, plus that team was in shambles due to the disaster. so i think you might be able to get good value out of brooks in the 10th round or something.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Gibbs_Wagon » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:30 am

I think if Moss if completely healthy, he has the potential to be top 5. It seems if any wr gets into problems w/ their legs (like he did last year), at best, they are %70 of their normal selves.

but my caveat:
I also think from a stat perspective, Moss and C-Pepp had a really nice thing going. It's possible they will never achieve the same stats with others. Last year I was really interested to watch which player benefitted more from the other - and I think the grade really has to be incomplete due to both having injuries.
Gibbs_Wagon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby lmcjaho » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:15 pm

A quick scan of stats shows that a Mr Joe Horn had a number of decent seasons with Aaron Brooks at QB... Taking 02-04 to start with, Horn averaged 1228/9 while Moss averaged 1236/12 (I know he was injured in 04 but Horn missed a couple of games in the same span too) so it is very far from inconceivable that Moss could have a huge season under Brooks...

I think he has one of the highest upsides in the WR group right now...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby mcmill3 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:15 pm

lmcjaho wrote:A quick scan of stats shows that a Mr Joe Horn had a number of decent seasons with Aaron Brooks at QB... Taking 02-04 to start with, Horn averaged 1228/9 while Moss averaged 1236/12 (I know he was injured in 04 but Horn missed a couple of games in the same span too) so it is very far from inconceivable that Moss could have a huge season under Brooks...

Upside yes, but Brooks is terrible at QB. I just don't see Moss putting up decent numbers this year.
mcmill3
Head Coach
Head Coach

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:23 pm

mcmill3 wrote:
lmcjaho wrote:A quick scan of stats shows that a Mr Joe Horn had a number of decent seasons with Aaron Brooks at QB... Taking 02-04 to start with, Horn averaged 1228/9 while Moss averaged 1236/12 (I know he was injured in 04 but Horn missed a couple of games in the same span too) so it is very far from inconceivable that Moss could have a huge season under Brooks...

Upside yes, but Brooks is terrible at QB. I just don't see Moss putting up decent numbers this year.

joe horns numbers disagree.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mercer Boy » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:23 pm

This may or may not be right...but I seem to remember that Brooks had several HUGE games, a good amount of average/below average games, and several horrible games. I bet Horn's numbers would be about the same in pattern. Moss had a huge game dang near every game no matter what because he almost always got a TD.

Will this happen with Brooks? Eh, I'm not so sure, but when Moss is healthy he can burn and jump higher than almost any DB. If Brooks gets it there, Moss will probably catch it. As some others said, his physical talent warrants a high selection because we know what he's capable of. It might be a bit risky, but if there's no one better to take at that point, why not?
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:29 pm

Brooks is erratic, I know huge understatement, but he has some things in his favor:
He likes to throw deep, and Randy is a great deep receiver.
He likes to gamble, which means he will throw into coverage. Randy is one of the better WRs at fighting for contested balls. He's mobile, which he'll need to be behind the Raiders O-line and that will buy him time to throw downfield.
And the Raiders are going to have to throw a lot to stay in games.

I think that Moss has a pretty good chance to reclaim a spot in the upper tier of WRs.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Kensat30 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:35 pm

Brooks is major value as a #2 QB...

I could see platooning Brooks and Favre as my QBs using my 12th and 13th round pick... That is what I call late value. Two top10 QBs in a double digit round = money.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Next

Return to Football Talk