Isaac Bruce this year - Galloway from last year? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Isaac Bruce this year - Galloway from last year?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Isaac Bruce this year - Galloway from last year?

Postby onnestabe » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:32 am

I know everyone is very down on Isaac Bruce for this year, and I know the reasons - age, injury concerns, the talent of Kevin Curtis, etc. These concerns have been causing Bruce to go undrafted in many leagues, and after thinking about this for awhile, it seems crazy to me. I think Bruce is in a very similar situation to Galloway from last year, and how can you pass up a potential #2 WR for your fantasy team that's available in the last round?

Here is my take on Galloway's situation from last year:
- Perceived to be the #2 WR
- Coming off of injury in the previous year
- Thought to be too old to contribute at a high level
- Veteran WR that knows all the tricks of the trade

Bruce's situation this year seems mighty similar:
- Is the #2 WR, but on an offense that is much better than TB's
- Coming off of injury in 05
- Perceived to be too old to contribute
- Veteran WR that knows all the tricks of the trade

And in addition to the similarities, you have to consider that Bruce has been a significant fantasy contributor in the past, whereas Galloway had not, Bruce's QB situation is much better than Galloway's, and STL will face much easier opponents than TB did last year.

I am not trying to convince you that Bruce will definitely be a top 20 WR like Galloway was last year, only that he has the potential to be there, and he is going undrafted in most leagues. I would rather spend my last round pick on him than someone like, say, Arnaz Battle :-? .
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Isaac Bruce this year - Galloway from last year?

Postby BrutallyHuge » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:45 am

onnestabe wrote:I think Bruce is in a very similar situation to Galloway from last year

I don't think he is at all.

The main reason for Galloway's production was the injuries to Michael Clayton, making Galloway the #1 in TB. Is Bruce the #1? Heck no...he's got Big Game Torry Holt in front of him.

Add in the fact that the Rams will lean on Steven Jackson more and shift away from the 63%+ pass plays that they've done in prior years under Martz, I'm not seeing a big year for Bruce.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bklik » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:50 am

I actually see Engram jumping out as the best undrafted WR with the highest ceiling. DJax is consistently injured and JJerevicous is on the Browns. Add Sea's good QB situation and their weak schedule, as well as the loss of Hutch, and I see good #s from Engram.
bklik
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Re: Isaac Bruce this year - Galloway from last year?

Postby onnestabe » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:58 am

BrutallyHuge wrote:
onnestabe wrote:I think Bruce is in a very similar situation to Galloway from last year

I don't think he is at all.

The main reason for Galloway's production was the injuries to Michael Clayton, making Galloway the #1 in TB. Is Bruce the #1? Heck no...he's got Big Game Torry Holt in front of him.

Add in the fact that the Rams will lean on Steven Jackson more and shift away from the 63%+ pass plays that they've done in prior years under Martz, I'm not seeing a big year for Bruce.

Yes, but the offense in TB is so run oriented that the #2 WR generally has no value. I don't think that is the case in STL. Linehan wants to run the ball, no doubt, but Bulger is going to hit the open man when a pass play is called, and Holt will draw a lot of coverage his way.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Alkaholik » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:59 am

bklik wrote:I actually see Engram jumping out as the best undrafted WR with the highest ceiling. DJax is consistently injured and JJerevicous is on the Browns. Add Sea's good QB situation and their weak schedule, as well as the loss of Hutch, and I see good #s from Engram.

I believe they are slipping Burleson in as the #2, Engram is getting pretty old and doesnt have the speed or deep threat the Hawks need. i do agree with DJax being injured a lot.
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Postby Dadd » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:04 am

I like Bruce to put up some decent numbers, I think anyone playing him in the #3 WR slot will be pleasantly surprised.

Regarding Engram, he'll have limited value even if he's starting due to DJax being injured. I think they are really going to give Burleson all the opportunities to be successful.
Dadd
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bklik » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:07 am

Alkaholik wrote:
bklik wrote:I actually see Engram jumping out as the best undrafted WR with the highest ceiling. DJax is consistently injured and JJerevicous is on the Browns. Add Sea's good QB situation and their weak schedule, as well as the loss of Hutch, and I see good #s from Engram.

I believe they are slipping Burleson in as the #2, Engram is getting pretty old and doesnt have the speed or deep threat the Hawks need. i do agree with DJax being injured a lot.

Thanks Alk, I completly forgot about Burleson going to the Shawks. I guess Ive got a new guy to target in rounds 11/12.
bklik
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:12 am

i thought bruce looked dam good last night against the colts.

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby moonhead » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:14 am

bklik wrote:
Alkaholik wrote:

Thanks Alk, I completly forgot about Burleson going to the Shawks. I guess Ive got a new guy to target in rounds 11/12.

peter warrick could light it up too, given the chance and if he stays healthy.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Dadd » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:25 am

moonhead wrote:peter warrick could light it up too, given the chance and if he stays healthy.

I would not hold my breathe on Warrick. 4th string WR that didn't do anything when he had a starting job doesn't scream potential FF player to me.
Dadd
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk