Jerry Rice on Sirius Satellite Radio - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jerry Rice on Sirius Satellite Radio

Moderator: Football Moderators

Jerry Rice on Sirius Satellite Radio

Postby onnestabe » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:48 pm

[rant]I'm sorry, I think he is definitely one of the greatest players of all time, but he is absolutely brutal to listen to. Today, they went down the list of preseason games this weekend and the broadcasters talked about what they would be looking out for in each game. For every team, Jerry would just name the offensive skill players and say one of three things...If it was a QB, he would say "<QB's name> moving the ball up and down the field". If a RB, it would be "<RB's name> carrying the ball. And he would get a little more creative with the WRs, actually talking about some legitimate concerns (nothing particularly insightful, mind you, but it was more than just reading the roster to the listeners).

And I can't tell you how many times, he called out a player that would not be playing in the game, like Domanick Davis, Steve Smith, etc.

I wish I were the best WR in the history of the game, because that's the only thing stopping me from making an ass out of myself on a national radio program.
:-[ :-° [/rant]
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby infamous » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:48 pm

he also has a list of several lines that he just reuses over and over.

His favorite being "thats the truth..." :~(
infamous
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:56 pm

Well, considering he's my favorite all-time player, I suppose I'll have to give him a listen someday on my Sirius... :-o

Nice; maybe I can do a running "quote count" like I did with one of my profs in college. Did you know that he once said the phrase "the following" over 30 times in one 50 minute class period?? :-b
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mcmill3 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:17 pm

I had the pleasure of powerwashing/staining my deck today and of course had the Sirius on the entire 6 hours. Rice is terrible. Not as bad as ED or his Monday Night report on who he thought would win the game; "The Team that scores the most points."

I like Riggins much better than Rice.
mcmill3
Head Coach
Head Coach

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Kilroy » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:53 pm

Is he Siriusly that bad?

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :-B

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby benm3218 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:13 pm

He doesnt know how to pronounce any of the players names either...... I noticed the other things you mentioned as well. Nice guy, but weak radio presence.
benm3218
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:42 am

I was thinking of posting the same thing. :-b

One of my favorite players for sure, but I can't stand listening to it either. He says 'Uh' and 'You know' all the time and seems to know only big names, and those he has trouble pronouncing.

For the Seattle segment, I believe of the same show, he other guy, can't think of his name, asks his opinion and Jerry just goes off mentioning the key offensive players. "Matt Hasselbeck...uhhh...Shaun Alexander....you know....Bobby Engram......". The other guy paused, I think in shock, then picked it up from there in an attempt to salvage the moment.

It's brutal. !+)
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Return to Football Talk