i think its time for fantasy to change how they do qb - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

i think its time for fantasy to change how they do qb

Moderator: Football Moderators

i think its time for fantasy to change how they do qb

Postby ttwarrior1 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:37 pm

you can get good qb late and its taking away their value, not to mentioin an experienced fantasy player would never accept a 2 for 1 trade even with a good qb in the deal. Mcnabb and delomme in round 7 is just fine. Im almost getting to the point where they should make you start 2 qb or have the leagues be roto
ttwarrior1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ironhorse75 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:41 pm

If you're smart enough to land a nice QB in the middle rounds while others reach, why would you want that to change?
Ironhorse75
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby moonhead » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:45 pm

i couldn't really understand what he was getting at with his post... :-? :-/
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Mercer Boy » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:56 pm

moonhead wrote:i couldn't really understand what he was getting at with his post... :-? :-/

I think his point is that QB's are such an important part of a real team that they should be made to be drafted higher in fantasy.

Unfortunately, no matter what you make the scoring settings, they are all going to score about the same with a few exceptions...some will be more consistent scorers such as Manning, Brady, etc. But yeah, unless you make it a 2 QB league or make their point structure ridiculously lopsided for QB scoring (I wouldn't like my QB deciding the whole week), the middle-round value of a QB is going to remain intact. :-/
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:48 pm

Exercise you aingst, ttwarrior, and join yourself one of those bastardized leagues that start two QBs. There are plenty of them around. Be happy, this is a game and I hate to see it make anyone sad.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby houstonherdfan » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:24 pm

moochman wrote:Exercise you aingst, ttwarrior, and join yourself one of those bastardized leagues that start two QBs. There are plenty of them around. Be happy, this is a game and I hate to see it make anyone sad.

i joined a 2 QB league this year just to see how they work. I got 2 average QB's and 3 really good RB along with a couple of average ones. we also start 2 RB and a flex. Did I also mention this is a 16 team league. It was one of those yahoo leagues with a bunch of idiots in it.

I was having a boring evening and said WTF.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby The Lung » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:34 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:I think his point is that QB's are such an important part of a real team that they should be made to be drafted higher in fantasy.

Unfortunately, no matter what you make the scoring settings, they are all going to score about the same with a few exceptions...some will be more consistent scorers such as Manning, Brady, etc. But yeah, unless you make it a 2 QB league or make their point structure ridiculously lopsided for QB scoring (I wouldn't like my QB deciding the whole week), the middle-round value of a QB is going to remain intact. :-/

I hear all the time of leagues where quarterbacks get one point per 20 yards passing & 6 points per passing TD. The top ten fantasy scorers each year are 3 or 4 RBs and all the rest QBs. Guys end up drafting marginal QBs in the second or third round because of systems like that. The contribution is so large that whether you win or lose each week is primarily based on how well your quarterback performs, and the rest of your roster starts to lose importance.

Those leagues stink. :-t
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby Ironhorse75 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:41 pm

The Lung wrote:
Mercer Boy wrote:I think his point is that QB's are such an important part of a real team that they should be made to be drafted higher in fantasy.

I hear all the time of leagues where quarterbacks get one point per 20 yards passing & 6 points per passing TD. The top ten fantasy scorers each year are 3 or 4 RBs and all the rest QBs. Guys end up drafting marginal QBs in the second or third round because of systems like that. The contribution is so large that whether you win or lose each week is primarily based on how well your quarterback performs, and the rest of your roster starts to lose importance.

Those leagues stink. :-t

In theory, shouldn't the scoring system be irrelevent?

It doesn't just effect the top 4-5 qbs, but all of them.

So while in a system where QBs score just as many points as the backs do, the difference between peer value remains the same. Because the better backs are still more difficult to obtain, they would still hold the same signififance wouldn't they? Isn't this just a simple example of inflation?
Ironhorse75
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby The Lung » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:55 pm

Ironhorse75 wrote:So while in a system where QBs score just as many points as the backs do, the difference between peer value remains the same. Because the better backs are still more difficult to obtain, they would still hold the same signififance wouldn't they? Isn't this just a simple example of inflation?

If the top scorers are QBs, managers are inclined to draft them sooner. It seems weird when guys are drafting QBs in the second or third round when in nearly all other leagues they go much later. And when the contribution from quarterbacks becomes so great that the rest of your roster is irrelevant, that's also weird. Let's say some dude drafts Culpepper in the 6th round this year and he blows up again like he did in 2004 and almost singlehandedly leads the dude to victory every week. In this example, Culpepper's peer value becomes greater than every other QB as well as every other player in the league. And the manager wins his league this year not because of an accrued "team effort," but really from the luck of the draw of getting the one quarterback who had a breakout season. To win the league like that? That's not right.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby eaglesrule » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:17 pm

i honestly think the problem is the "flex."

Honestly, I hate how artifically inflated runningbacks are in this game. Not only is the scoring somewhat tilted in their favor, but most leagues allow for up to three starting backs, something that I think is dumb.

But since its "fantasy" I think the top amount of each position is: qb, 3wr, two rb, 1 te, kicker, defense.

I think it evens up the wr and rb a bit. And most teams have a fullback and halfback on the field at the same time, so in "fantasy" two studs in the backfield is ok.

But I hate the flex, I think that element does more to inflate rbs sometimes than anything else. the simple fact is qb is a singular position, so when you play fantasy, everyone is going to have a decent starter. I don't believe in handcuffing the qb further by making passing td;s six, but short of two qb's, which is as silly to me as three runningbacks, there isn't much you can do.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk