i think its time for fantasy to change how they do qb - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

i think its time for fantasy to change how they do qb

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby steelerfan513 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:50 pm

even in 2 QB leagues, you can wait until the 6th round and get 1 or 2 quality starters and grab the RBs and WRs in the earlier rounds.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby pangbones » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:01 am

The Lung wrote:
I hear all the time of leagues where quarterbacks get one point per 20 yards passing & 6 points per passing TD. The top ten fantasy scorers each year are 3 or 4 RBs and all the rest QBs. Guys end up drafting marginal QBs in the second or third round because of systems like that. The contribution is so large that whether you win or lose each week is primarily based on how well your quarterback performs, and the rest of your roster starts to lose importance.

Those leagues stink. :-t

Ummmm I'm in a league that scores that way and it doens't stink!! QB's will score alot of points in any format. Because they will get double the yards of any RB and will throw for double the TD's.

Last year there were only 2 QB's in the top 10 in points scored in my league. The difference between the #1 QB (Palmer), and the #10 QB ( Delhomme), was 4 points per week. However, the difference between the #1 RB (Alexander), and the #20 RB( C Brown) was 15 points per week. My point is anyone that knows what they're doing isn't going to reach on a QB. The difference between the top and the middle tiers just isn't significant enough. Everyone's QB will be getting 16-20 pts a week. So I don't see how your other players lose their importance, when the difference between the top RB's is much, much greater!! :-?
pangbones
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Crippler » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:33 am

Ironhorse75 wrote:
The Lung wrote:
Mercer Boy wrote:I think his point is that QB's are such an important part of a real team that they should be made to be drafted higher in fantasy.

Unfortunately, no matter what you make the scoring settings, they are all going to score about the same with a few exceptions...some will be more consistent scorers such as Manning, Brady, etc. But yeah, unless you make it a 2 QB league or make their point structure ridiculously lopsided for QB scoring (I wouldn't like my QB deciding the whole week), the middle-round value of a QB is going to remain intact. :-/

I hear all the time of leagues where quarterbacks get one point per 20 yards passing & 6 points per passing TD. The top ten fantasy scorers each year are 3 or 4 RBs and all the rest QBs. Guys end up drafting marginal QBs in the second or third round because of systems like that. The contribution is so large that whether you win or lose each week is primarily based on how well your quarterback performs, and the rest of your roster starts to lose importance.

Those leagues stink. :-t

In theory, shouldn't the scoring system be irrelevent?

It doesn't just effect the top 4-5 qbs, but all of them.

So while in a system where QBs score just as many points as the backs do, the difference between peer value remains the same. Because the better backs are still more difficult to obtain, they would still hold the same signififance wouldn't they? Isn't this just a simple example of inflation?

Exactly. I find it funny when I'm in a league giving QBs 6 pts per TD and more pts for yards, and 5-10 QBs are taken in the first few rounds. Anyone with any sense can figure out that every single QB benefits from the extra points and you shouldnt change your draft strategy because of it. At the most, maybe you should move a QB or 2 up or down a round because of it.

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby The Lung » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:15 pm

Crippler wrote:Exactly. I find it funny when I'm in a league giving QBs 6 pts per TD and more pts for yards, and 5-10 QBs are taken in the first few rounds. Anyone with any sense can figure out that every single QB benefits from the extra points and you shouldnt change your draft strategy because of it. At the most, maybe you should move a QB or 2 up or down a round because of it.

With settings like that, the peer value between the elite quarterbacks and the marginal ones become that much greater. An elite quarterback like Manning, Palmer, Brady, Hasselbeck, etc. is going to score many more points than average quarterbacks. And considering that the amount of fantasy points they will score may be so significant as to make the rest of your roster almost insignificant, it makes all the sense in the world to me to draft an elite quarterback earlier - even much earlier. And because the outcome of the matchup and in turn, the league, becomes so dependant on quarterback and less on the combined team effort of the whole roster (RBs, WRs, TEs, DEFs, K, etc.) it just seems dumb to me.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby Original_Geek » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:10 pm

The Lung wrote:
Crippler wrote:Exactly. I find it funny when I'm in a league giving QBs 6 pts per TD and more pts for yards, and 5-10 QBs are taken in the first few rounds. Anyone with any sense can figure out that every single QB benefits from the extra points and you shouldnt change your draft strategy because of it. At the most, maybe you should move a QB or 2 up or down a round because of it.

With settings like that, the peer value between the elite quarterbacks and the marginal ones become that much greater. An elite quarterback like Manning, Palmer, Brady, Hasselbeck, etc. is going to score many more points than average quarterbacks. And considering that the amount of fantasy points they will score may be so significant as to make the rest of your roster almost insignificant, it makes all the sense in the world to me to draft an elite quarterback earlier - even much earlier. And because the outcome of the matchup and in turn, the league, becomes so dependant on quarterback and less on the combined team effort of the whole roster (RBs, WRs, TEs, DEFs, K, etc.) it just seems dumb to me.

I don't know that they have that much swing - Last year I had the #1 QB (Palmer) and #1 WR (SS) and I finished 3rd. My RB's to start the season were Douche McAllister and Dom Davis. I ended up losing several games because of the weak performance of my RBs. My backups were even worse. I was scared to trade CP or SS away because they were the only ones scoring me points (Oh yeah, I basked in the luxury of TO for several weeks too - When he went out, I went in the pooper)

BTW - I got them in the 5th and 6th rounds (IIRC) - drafted 12th out of 12....

I draft 8th this year. I'm going RB/RB/check WRs and take one if prudent or RB again. I won't even look at QB's until round 5 and then only if I think I have a solid backfield and at least a top WR.

I hope I have sense and strength enough to stick to my plan....
OG - Original Geek
Word to your motherboard
Dallas Cowboys Fan Extraordinaire
May all your players get to play Oakland.
Original_Geek Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby RJ24VC15 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:40 pm

No way, I could make a living off idiots that take QB's in the first few rounds.
RJ24VC15
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer

Postby Vixtor » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:43 pm

All leagues should adopt my system!

Starters: QB, WR/TE, WR/TE, WR/TE, WR/RB, WR/RB, K, DEF

+1 point per completion, -1 point per incomplete pass

Solves every problem.
The facts have no meaning.
Vixtor