Week one impressions and evaluations - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Week one impressions and evaluations

Moderator: Football Moderators

Week one impressions and evaluations

Postby petedog9 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:36 pm

I know ... I know its only week one and you cannot put much stock at all in these games but what I am bringing up for discussion is what did you take away from week one games regarding Player rankings and are you moving anyone up or down on your board. Thought it would make for an interesting topic.

For example, after watching the SF/CHI game yesterday I came to the impression that Alex Smith looks noticably more comfortable this year under center and he is throwing to Antonio Bryant often. There is a solid chemistry there. This would make Bryant a nice late round sleeper as the Niners will typically be playing from behind and Bryant could be the recipient of alot of garbage points over the year.

I also realie that the Buffalo QB situation is still a disaster and I want no part of any Bufflao player WR or RB. I will let somebody else draft Lee Evans or Mc Gahee.....

The new offensive system in Houston is keeping Carr upright and moving the ball.

Anybody else have any other players going up or down on your list??? Or any situation you want to keep an eye on before you make a draft day decision???
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby biju » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:13 pm

It's important to note that this is just week one of the preseason but something I noticed right away was what the Seahawks are doing with Shaun Alexander:

- He's running to the right instead of the left. Keep in mind that the "starting" left guard ("Pork Chop" Womack) is injured right now so that could be a part of why they're going right instead of left.

- On the first play they sent him out wide. It was stopped due to a false start however so I didn't get to see the play develop or where he was in the check down

- Another play had him go out of the middle just past the D-line. Hasselbeck was looking his way but was forced to move up in the pocket and basically took him out of being able to get to the Shaun.

- His numbers look bad but it's because he ran up the middle on most plays and the O-line didn't look sharp at all. Not sure if that's because of Womack being out (and starting a center in his place) or if that's really due to the loss of Hutch.

Other stuff I noticed:

- Maurice Mann made a couple of great catches and looked to have the confidence to play for real

- Nate Burleson dropped one that probably should have been caught. The defender was in his face but he had both hands on it.

- Most of Seattle's playcalling was pretty vanilla other than sending SA out wide.

My take:

It's preseason so I didn't expect them to pull much out. I'm a little concerned with the O-line but I can't really get worried when the whole line isn't there. That said, if someone does get hurt it might be a problem even though they supposedly have good depth.

Sending Shaun out for passes is intriguing. He'd be quite a threat if they could get him some catches. I'm not sure if that's where they're heading but in two possessions he was out there twice. If he could add another 200 yards receiving to his numbers he'd be a great value where people are picking him: #3 overall.

Hasselbeck looked like he wasn't gelling with Burleson. One scramble play Nate went the opposite direction Hasselbeck told him to go. Hopefully they work these kinks out otherwise we're going to have a long season with our expensive #2 WR.

The defense looked weak against the pass but pretty solid against the run. Too many penalties ruined a couple good defensive stands. Expect that to change as Holmgren pretty much won't tolerate those mistakes.

Kelly Jennings got beat, but that's to be expected a little bit right now. Ken Hamlin looked good but got turned around once to hand Dallas a first down.

If I think of anything else I'll let you guys know.

-M
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby GMoney » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:27 pm

Alex Smith certainly did look alot better than he ever has before.

Norv seems to have designed an offence that will work FOR alex. he will be rolling out alot which should help the O Line too.

He definately has a chemistry with Antonio Bryant. and i wouldnt be surprised to see him with 8-12 looks per week, which should be near the top in the league. Ill be damned if hes not over 1000 yards at the end of the year. Just will be a matter of if he will get the endzone looks enough.

Alex smith looking like a real QB may cause some people to bump up Davis in their rankings. He had 0 looks/catches in the game, however he was very open a couple of times and alex chose to go to other recievers. Davis probably only needs 3-4 catches per week to be an effective TE. and in 4 quarters of work he should get that.

Gore took the bulk of the carries and looked good. For those of you who only look at stats, dont discount Barlows game too much though. He was injured with a thigh bruise on his 1 carry and did not play the rest of the game. I dont think this situation is settled just yet and I see a RBBC for the start of the season at least.

Delaine Walker was a 1 man wrecking machine. Keep a eye on where he gets to play in upcoming games. Hes kind of a combo WR/F Back/TE/Full Back. (similar to chris cooley). If they are willing to have Walker, Davis, and Eric Johnson on the field at the same time he could have some value running, and catching the ball.

For the Bears, Rasheed Davis looked really really really good, as did Brian Greise. The CHI running game was aweful, but with both TJ and Benson out, i wouldnt read too much into it.
GMoney
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby moochman » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:25 pm

It's real early to get much insight on individual players. What I could see with the Lions O philosophy had decided to try attacking instead of whatever Mariucci was thinking. Look for K Jones to be a solid #2 RB this season, and Roy Williams a borderline #1 WR. Good value in both.

Otherwise the Lions don't look to have much else to offer the fantasy world. Except that the D doesn't look very good, could be a good breeding ground for QB of the week.

Brady looked like he had never stopped playing. Timing and accuracy were spot on.

The Cards rush game looked poor, Edge could be over-valued. Bryant Johnson caught some nice passes from Warner, the air attack looks ready to go.

Big Ben looked pretty sharp, despite the new grill. Hard to sack and strong armed as ever.

Vernon Haynes looked good enough to mess with Parkers carries.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby deluxe_247 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:54 pm

wow, some solid posts there guys...some great analysis ;-D
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby petedog9 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:26 am

Your right Deluxe, this is the stuff I was looking for... ;-D

Anyone else??
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby steelerfan513 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:29 am

Arizona looked like the Arizona of last year: great pass, awful run.

the Steelers have good backup quarterbacks as well as a decent starter as well.

Reggie Bush looked like Reggie Bush, but it was against the Titans. still, looked promising for him.

and mascots can hurt players... when they hit them with a golf cart. :-D
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Guru13 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:12 am

someone made a huge impression on me, but I can't tell you who until I draft him. :-D
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby bagobonez » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:17 am

Cowboys backup QB Tony Romo looked very sharp. At one point he completed 12 consecutive passes, including a TD against Seattle's 1st team defense. Looks like Dallas' season might not be sunk if Bledsoe should get injured.

Julius Jones looked energetic and quick. His O-line didn't do much to help him out but he made a few gains that should have been losses.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby css2373 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:56 pm

I went to the falcons/pats game and came away with a few thoughts.

Laurence Maroney looked exciting. Corey Dillon still looks powerful and in shape. The falcons D was missing some players, but that run defense looks weak.

Michael Jenkins had some nice catches and looked polished while Roddy White had a drop and did not look good. One thing both my friend and I noticed is that the Falcons receivers did not create a lot of separation.

Mike Vick is a lot of fun to watch. However, during passing plays, he looked like he did not know where to go. Whether that was his receivers or not, he was not ready to pull the trigger.

When Duckett gets a head of steam, watch out. Otherwise he is not real effective and he did play most of the game.

Tom Brady met expectations while he was in there for one series, but if he gets hurt and Matt Cassell has to play then the pats are in big trouble.

Preseason week 1 so take it for what it's worth. I am not a fan of either team, just was in town and had a chance to go.
css2373
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk