3 things that need to be changed about fantasy football - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

3 things that need to be changed about fantasy football

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby The Lung » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:04 am

Gibbs Baby!!! wrote:"Playoffs?! Don't talk about playoffs! Are you kidding me? Playoffs?! I'm just hoping we can win a game, another game!"

Many thanks to Jim for that, I'll use it the rest of my life...

Anyway, interesting ideas, I guess it really depends on whether or not the rest of the owners in the league are interested in trying them out. I could give a rat's patooty about "Playoffs!", but they are interesting, just the same. I'm more interested in overall scoring for the season, and yeah, there's only one champion there.

[Jim Mora]

PLAYOFFS?

[/Jim Mora]

:-D
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Sixxgunn » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:08 am

lmcjaho wrote:
Pete123444 wrote:
lmcjaho wrote:Okay - playing poker at the same time so I just scanned this thread but the biggest mistake I see everyone making is comparing NFL H2H with Fantasy H2H and the "any given sunday" aspect. The difference is when an NFL team loses on "any given sunday" it's their own fault - either their offense didn't score enough or their defense didn't stop the opponent enough - in Fantasy you have no input on how your opponent does, so if you just happen to play against the top team for the week and you are the 2nd team it is not in any way your own fault...

Explain to me how you have control of your own team BUT it's not your fault that you didn't score the highest that week?

Petey petey petey... How much input do you ACTUALLY have as to how well your players do each week? I'm going to go out on a limb here and say 0 - please correct me if I am wrong.

The point I was making (and admittedly I should probably have just waited until I got to work so I had time to make it a little more coherently rather than trying to fit it in between hands of poker earlier) is that while many of the ideas from the original post are cracked, the line of reasoning that "well that's how it is in real life so we do it that way too" is also inherently flawed.

In the Colts-Steelers playoff game all the Colts had to do to win was either score more points or prevent the Steelers from scoring as much as they did - both things the Colts had direct involvement in. In a standard fantasy football playoff the only thing you can do to win is start the best combination of guys on your roster and HOPE and PRAY that your opponent's roster doesn't blow up and have their best games of their careers - two things you have little-to-no direct involvement in.

You are making a mistake by thinking it is different. We aren't in control of our FF teams. And neither are the owners of real teams, which is what we are emulating. Jerry Jones isn't at fault because Bledsoe throws a pick, just like you aren't to blame because Portis fumbles. You are comparing players to owners, and that is where you are wrong.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Alkaholik » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:23 am

I liked your alternative to #1, but dont agree.

You play an opponent, that means all you have to do is figure a way to beat them, out strategize them....if one of their top RB's is hurt in practice the friday before your fantasy matchups on sunday, you go grab the backup RB for him off the WW immediately, so your opponent cant pick him up and utilize him in your match up this that week.

Much better IMO is face someone 1 on 1, and strategize against that opponent, even though a lot is luck i think it's done the way it should be.
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Postby PyRo8 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:11 am

xted30 wrote:1. Hypothetical here: The Jags and Colts are playing. The Jaguars score 42 points that week. The Colts score 45. The Jags' 42 would have beaten every other team in the NFL except the Colts that particular week. They have to be judged against the team they're playing, not everyone else. They still get the loss.

that makes little sense. the jags play gainst the indy defense, not against the other defenses in the NFL. but for FF, all the pts recorded are bout single performances with guys that arent even on the same team in the NFL. completely different from your example.
PyRo8
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby BeefSandwiches » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:26 am

PyRo8 wrote:
xted30 wrote:1. Hypothetical here: The Jags and Colts are playing. The Jaguars score 42 points that week. The Colts score 45. The Jags' 42 would have beaten every other team in the NFL except the Colts that particular week. They have to be judged against the team they're playing, not everyone else. They still get the loss.

that makes little sense. the jags play gainst the indy defense, not against the other defenses in the NFL. but for FF, all the pts recorded are bout single performances with guys that arent even on the same team in the NFL. completely different from your example.

I disagree that it is completely different - Leftwich and Matt Jones aren't playing defense and have no control over how many points the defense allows, so in the example, the Jags offense played real well against a tough D, but the Jags D played terrible.

If your QB has a great day, but your RBs both play terribly you'll likely lose. FF has tried to create a team concept where you need your entire team to play well just as in the NFL where the entire team needs to come together for a W.
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman."
- Homer J. Simpson
BeefSandwiches
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby BrutallyHuge » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:22 pm

I disagree with #1 and #2.

And #3 is too complicated to be implemented.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby FantasyMan13 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:05 pm

The Lung wrote:
Gibbs Baby!!! wrote:"Playoffs?! Don't talk about playoffs! Are you kidding me? Playoffs?! I'm just hoping we can win a game, another game!"

Anyway, interesting ideas, I guess it really depends on whether or not the rest of the owners in the league are interested in trying them out. I could give a rat's patooty about "Playoffs!", but they are interesting, just the same. I'm more interested in overall scoring for the season, and yeah, there's only one champion there.

[Jim Mora]

PLAYOFFS?

[/Jim Mora]

Lmao... "Are you kidding me?" :-b :-b
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Postby moochman » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:03 pm

FantasyMan13 wrote:
The Lung wrote:

[Jim Mora]

PLAYOFFS?

[/Jim Mora]

Lmao... "Are you kidding me?" :-b :-b

Mora was a classic. Freaking hilarious everytime I hear it. I also loved his post game "We didn't do diddlypoo out there".

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Downtown87 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:35 pm

Sixxgunn wrote:
Downtown87 wrote:...

Insightful 3rd post. We look forward to a year of posts filled with such compelling arguments.

I was just bumping the post.
Downtown87
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Re: 3 things that need to be changed about fantasy football

Postby Bloody Sox » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:56 am

Downtown87 wrote:Here are three things that need to be changed in fantasy football.

1. The head to head system.

Completely agree with your all-play suggestion - not a big fan of head to head for the reasons you state. While I agree with others on this thread that head-to-head provides a greater chance of rivalries and smack-talk, all-play is the best compromise between points and head-to-head. You still compete, but teams that have crappy weeks don't get rewarded because they played an even crappier team. Too many times in my league the points leader out of 12 or 14 teams has missed the playoffs in an 8 team playoff!

My new league uses this method...
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=224

Downtown87 wrote:2. Playoffs. I don’t understand why fantasy football leagues have playoffs.

Couldn't disagree more. Playoffs are a must! Though I think the standard format of playoffs is terrible... how many times can I get knocked out in Round 1 as the #1 seed?!?! Must have byes at least, preferably some sort of double elimination setup.

Downtown87 wrote:3. The standard serpentine draft.

As far as snake drafts go, your suggestion probably makes some sense, though I don't think its a big enough deal to worry about... if anything, don't bother going back to serpentine after the middle rounds... just do snake for rounds 1-4, straight reverse order from 5 on. The biggest problem is doing anything different in an online draft.

I do agree with others that auction is the way to go... even if you have to do it online at something like fantasyauctioneer.com or something like that.[/url]
Bloody Sox
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk